The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Finished writing a book... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
On the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT). About 65,000 of the finest words in print on the subject (he said modestly). Currently being edited, but should be available before too long, so if you know any future law students, keep me in mind. Next stop: I expect to have my book about betting on boxing finished this summer.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 16:48, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Next stop: I expect to have my book about betting on boxing finished this summer.

Having boxed for many years.....good luck with that realising a profit.
Having no law experience,apart from breaking them(when I was younger),I wish you great success and future publishing deals to boot!
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 17:34, Ray Tupper. wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 16:48, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Next stop: I expect to have my book about betting on boxing finished this summer.

Having boxed for many years.....

Amateur, pro, or both?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Strictly amatuer.A good junior,but a decidedly average senior.Though I did fight a future British and European heavyweight title challenger(Clifton Mitchell)around 1983,who gave me a good hiding.
I slunk off into retirement in 1984 after about 10 years off and on,from the age of 11.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I'm too friggin old to go back to school but will definitely want a signed copy of the Boxing book! Smile
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Tell us when the one on handicapping the ponies comes out . . .
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Congrats! Do you have a publisher on the LSAT book. If so, who?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Congratulations! It's hard work finishing a book. All the best with it.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Congrats Lobo.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 19:58, Woland wrote:
Tell us when the one on handicapping the ponies comes out . . .

I'm a fan, but I don't have much to add to that available literature on that game. Too big a rake, too! Lots of good horse racing books, and I have several of them, but for the most part, picture me standing next to Andy Beyer with an arrow pointing at him and a caption that reads, "What he said."

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-06-13 20:31, landmark wrote:
Congrats! Do you have a publisher on the LSAT book. If so, who?

I was in negotiations with a major test prep company/publisher (you'd know the name) for months, but I broke off discussions because they had too narrow a view for what they wanted the book to look like (their current edition is IMO one of the most dated of the major books on the market, and they didn't seem to want to do too much different; very conservative approach - do what we've always done, and sell a bunch of not-so-great books based on our name alone), and also because they wanted to license as few actual past LSAT exams as possible from the Law School Admissions Council. So a major part of what they wanted me to do was create simulated LSAT questions.

The upshot is, I decided to write the book I wanted to write, and self-publish it. It will be available via Amazon, via my own tutoring website, and at a site called Cambridge LSAT, which has various resources for people preparing for the exam. The publishing company I'm going with (Create Space) publishes some great-looking books at reasonable terms. Had I stuck with the original publisher (and they stuck with me), it would have been in every Barnes & Noble in the country, but I'll settle for (hopefully) more stars on Amazon and setting my own terms.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I've done lots of standardized test tutoring in my day, and the best books are always the ones that use the actual tests. The simulated ones rarely capture the important nuances of the demented minds of the College Board. Anyway, good luck with the project, and if I ever decide to go to law school before I drop dead, I'll know what to study.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I just finished my book as well....
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-06-17 19:47, MagicSanta wrote:

Very cool. do you have any info for us? A date? A title?

John
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I've finished four books, but had none published. : (. I've thought about self-publishing, but always figured I wouldn't sell more than a dozen copies. But Lobo has picked a marketable subject, and I wish him the best.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Self publish use Lulu.com
packages are cheap and you can be selling on Amazon and within Barnes in no time
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-06-17 19:57, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-17 19:47, MagicSanta wrote:

Very cool. do you have any info for us? A date? A title?

John

Details about his book in this thread (a few posts in), I think:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
There was a time I considered going to law school (my undergradate work was in Legal Studies). I may still go someday...when it hits the presses, I may pick it up. After all, I still spend far too much time at Oyez.org
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-06-18 02:04, stoneunhinged wrote:
I've finished four books, but had none published. : (. I've thought about self-publishing, but always figured I wouldn't sell more than a dozen copies. But Lobo has picked a marketable subject, and I wish him the best.

What have you written? I have a sneaking suspicion that they're the sort of thing I read.

John
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 09:16, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

What have you written? I have a sneaking suspicion that they're the sort of thing I read.

John

Actually, probably not. I've written a sort of amateurish science fiction novel, a detective novel, a collection of private letters and stuff that I never actually intend to publish but organized as if it were going to be, and there is of course my doctoral dissertation.

The two I've considered privately publishing are the dissertation and the crime novel. Those are also the only two I've actually submitted to publishers. I wouldn't let the SF novel see the light of day without a major re-write.

So there isn't anything yet like "Stoneunhinged's Beginner's Guide to Philosophy". Yet. I do have fifty or sixty pages on the hard drive somewhere. Maybe I should get back to that in the summer break.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Finished writing a book... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL