The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello! : ) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mat
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of mat
Hello! : )

My name is Mat, I'm a 20 year old student from England. I've always loved magic, and I've very lightly dabbled with it in the past but never took it too seriously - I'm a musician, and could never allow myself the time to properly focus on magic. But after a day performing as a street musician in Stratford-upon-Avon I met a street magician who showed me a great card trick. Part of the trick had a card transform 'in my hand', something which I'd never experienced before. As I reacted to this, he casually took my selected card back from me, then (I believe) classic forced me the same card for the 'next trick'; and again I was amazed. This was the first time I ever saw real close up magic - until now I'd only ever seen magic on TV/youtube (along with a Paul Daniels show in my childhood and Derren Brown's Enigma show) - and I bloody LOVED it! There was just some thing SO brilliant about it... it was exciting, it was fun, it was magic! I left telling myself I HAD to start seriously practicing magic.

So as the rest of the year of university went by I started studying a copy of Royal Road from the library in my free time, promising myself that once summer started I was going to start PROPERLY studying magic. The day of my final exam, I went to a lecture by Kozmo of Kozmo Magic, where he discussed how a four Ace revelation isn't really magic in the eyes of a spectator in the same way as a visual effect like coin in bottle or a bill switch. I realised he was right, and talking to him afterwards I mentioned that I'd just been studying card magic, but I agreed with what he was saying about what magic is. His advice was "learn it all!" - so that's what I'm determined to do. Went and bought a copy of the complete Tarbell course the next day, which is giving me plenty of stuff to be studying! (Along with much entertainment from the terribly outdated patter!)

I'm currently consumed by magic. Spending too much time reading about/watching magic and not enough time practicing, but still, it's currently taking over my life. And I'm loving it! I don't know why I haven't joined the 'cafe yet, but better late than never.

I gather that this community is non-elitest and is kind to serious beginners like myself, so I'm look forward to hanging out here and talking with magicians from across the world : )

To summarise; Hello! Smile
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Welcome to the Café! Let me suggest you obtain a copy of "Maximum Entertainment" by Weber. Although a book about magic performance, it talks directly to the performer who wants to do more than "tricks and puzzles" for an audience. Since magic is a performance art, performing it is really what it's all about. You won't be sorry.
Best of luck
wk
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Guess I'll put out the "welcome mat" (sorry, I had to do it).

Being a Musician you are way ahead of the game. You already know the need for practice.

Try to retain your sense of wonder and keep a journal of the Magic you learn. Having it all on one list in the order you learned (any other details are optional but good) it can be very interesting and useful in the future.

-Mary Mowder
mat
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of mat
Quote:
On 2011-06-14 13:19, Mary Mowder wrote:
Guess I'll put out the "welcome mat" (sorry, I had to do it).

Lol! Smile That's the best use of that joke I've ever heard; normally it's "Mat with just one 'T'? As in 'door mat'?"

Thanks for the advice guys, I will certainly start keeping a journal, that's a great idea. WK, would you say 'Maximum Entertainment' is only useful for someone who has a full show or is there value in it even for someone who currently just performs a few tricks on occasion?
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Welcome! You are about to begin a great journey, where it leads you is up to you my friend. Enjoy!
Life of Magic!
magikman97
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of magikman97
Welcome to the Café'
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello! : ) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL