The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Crookes Residual Ectometron Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
910 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
Greetings all!

Firstly, for those not aware of the Ectometron the original post can be found here -

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=14

This short video now demonstrates what the Ectometron actually does. If you remember, the original had no moving components which for a steampunk type device was disappointing. I also didn't want the machine to be just another spirit bell effect. So over the last 11 months I have been messing with various ideas and the final Ectometron can now be revealed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u2A2SoQx50

New aspects of the design -

The Ectoplasmic Battery feeds a Low Temperature Differential Stirling Engine (yes, this is the real deal!) You can see the Ectoplasmic Battery being plugged in at the start of the video (00.32). A gentle push and the flywheel and it will turn continuously powering the machine with real moving pistons.

Once successful contact has been established with the spirit a cloud of ectoplasm materialises inside the ectoplasmic chamber. Here the spirit is safely contained for the duration of the performance.

The spirit can either communicate using the external bell or via electrostatic discharge within the ectoplasmic cloud.

As far as I am aware this is the only effect available where a spirit visually materializes and is contained for as long as you wish.

Once the séance is complete the spirit can be asked to depart peacefully. The lid of the ectoplasmic chamber can be removed and the spirit will still remain until you ask it to leave.

Upon instruction the spirit will depart in a swirling vortex leaving the chamber empty.

And to top it all off the machine is completely silent.....shhhhhhhh

The first 5 Ectometrons have already been paid for (by 5 very patient and understanding customers!) but I hope to have an official release with orders taken around Autumn this year.

What started out as a prop with no real purpose or direction has evolved into a self contained theatrical wonder that has never been attempted before. It’s been a long journey but as I’m sure you’ll agree it's been worth it!

Magically

Dan

Lebanon Circle
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3823 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Very steampunkish.
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Dan you don't make props, you create art.
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
918 Posts

Profile of necroloid
Oh My. Was not going to order this precisley because of the lack of moving parts.
But now,ordered!!
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2011-06-14 10:56, The Curator wrote:
Very steampunkish.

My thoughts exactly, and because I love steampunk, very nice!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
A thing of beauty and function. Excellent!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
S.WARD
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
251 Posts

Profile of S.WARD
I love steampunk too and this is amazing! Your work continues to amaze me!
alemanzano
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of alemanzano
It is incredibe. As I was watching the video, I caught myself holding my breath.

A great piece of art!
leaycraft
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of leaycraft
Absolutely beautifu
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." A. Conan Doyle," The Sign of Four"
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
910 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
Thanks everyone, it's been a labour of love. I've been tinkering for months with different concepts but I'm a firm believer in letting ideas evolve unrushed - when you do you end up with something you're happy with and more importantly something your customers are happy to invest in.

The Ectometrons I am building at the moment are also mounted on genuine antique boxes to add to the authenticity.
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
But I don't steal to fund my habit
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
When you see something like this it is easy to think selfish thoughts "I could do this", "I could do that", but I would just like to congratulate Dan on a fantastic piece of Magical Art.... KUDOS!!!
Old Crookes is smiling down on you I'm sure Smile

Click here to view attached image.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5450 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
If you heard a thump, that was my jaw dropping to the floor. Unbelievably wonderful. I doubt I can ever afford this, so thank you for crafting such a marvelous short film. For me, it's a bit like the department store catalogs I had growing up, with the special holiday toy section. I can look at it, over and over again, hoping, one day...just maybe...
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Roni
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Roni
Hi Dan,
This is super amazing!! The video shows the capabilities of this contrption from the Ectoplasm power units to the appearing ghostly smoking "Something" that communicate with us earthly beings through flashes of lighting or the sound of the bell!
I AM SOLD!!!!!!
Roni
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
WOW!!!
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
910 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
Once the reserved Ectometrons are out of the way I'll be able to make one of these per month and the first 4 months are booked so if you fancy owning one of these then get in touch. Due to the work involved I don't anticipate making many and as it is a limited production piece it will be an investment - just think of the grandkids!
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
910 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
Also forgot to add - I've added a compound to create a green ectoplasmic mist - think John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness...

Magcially

Dan

Lebanon Circle
Roni
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Roni
Hi Dan,
Any more additions waiting for us? Some people here have not yet recovered from your first email about the Ecometron.....
Please no more "News Flashes" my blood preassure is giving me hot flashes....
Dan you are the king!!
Roni
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
But I don't steal to fund my habit
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
It is a great piece
GeoffreyD
View Profile
Loyal user
Canberra, Australia
244 Posts

Profile of GeoffreyD
Quote:
On 2011-06-16 05:05, LebanonCircle wrote:
Also forgot to add - I've added a compound to create a green ectoplasmic mist - think John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness...

Dan, what does the "mist" smell like?
And is there a way for us to add a scent to it? (i.e. thinking of various products available to produce mouldy or musty smells...)
Or will this damage the machinery?
Cheers
Geoffrey
www.dark-myst.com.au
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
910 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
Greetings Geoffrey

The smoke is low odour and yes, you should be able to add a scent to it without causing any damage...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Crookes Residual Ectometron Video (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL