The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Whisper by Ken Dyne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Cristobal
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaga (Spain)
287 Posts

Profile of Cristobal
Also, you can present this by hypnotising the spectator to empower his intuitions abilities and then whisper to his ear how he can use his new power (until he left the stage if you will). It's only an idea if you do not want that people think that read minds is easy.

In the other hand, the fact that a spectator can read the mind of another one can cement the idea that there is no trickery here. Plus, the reaction of the spectator can spread to the rest of the audience.
ArtIn
View Profile
Special user
Berlin
909 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
I have to excuse myself.
My comment (deleted meanwhile) was meant to be a PM.
I always try to copy a message I want to refer to via pm. Then I answer under the quoted text and directly post it accidentally (as comment).
It was deleted because I wrote it in german, which is absolutly understandable.

Sorry again.

@parmenion

I remember you from "this way up" here on the Café and you are fast at presuming things, that's a real PITY.

I just asked nicolino what "Whisper" is about because I didn't read anything about it yet.
Just wanted to hear what the effect is about and how it plays on audience.
I don't feel the need to explain myself to you but to the other well respected Café members who know me.
I respect the art and every secret out there.

All best,
Martin
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Morning all.

I never come here (because I usually just get slagged off when I do) or read about effects for sale but someone tipped me off about this.

I don't know about Whisper, I'm certainly not going to spend £200 just to find out if it's the same method I use on the effect I've been closing my show with for 5yrs but the premise & presentation is very similar (my own fault for posting the video in 2007 I suppose).

I'd guess, from what I've read & been told, the methodology for Whisper has more in common with Luke Jermay's Dangerous Opener (and therefore Dunninger) than mine. But the description is startlingly like it isn't it?

The only predecessor to my effect I'm aware of was Derren's Tossed Out Deck With A Spectator from one of his tours which inspired my own version with words. The hardest bit was working out what to say to the spectator so that they genuinely believe they've read minds.
The version on that video is a very stripped down version.

I'm a little saddened that it seems (without having read the book) that at least 150 people will now be doing a version of my trademark (and written about widely in media reviews of the show) closer.

I know Ken had my effect flagged up to him as similar. I'm sad he felt he didn't need to contact me.

Hope you're all well - If you're in Edinburgh please come see the final dates of my sell out UK tour.

Details here <a href="http://www.iknowwhatyouarethinking.co.uk/">http://www.iknowwhatyouarethinking.co.uk/</a>
and here:
<a href="http://www.edfringe.com/whats-on/cabaret/doug-segal-i-know-what-you-re-thinking-free">http://www.edfringe.com/whats-on/cabaret/doug-segal-i-know-what-you-re-thinking-free</a>

One of many reviews (with a pertinent quote about my closer) here: <a href="hhttp://www.fringeguru.com/editorial/brighton-2011/doug-segal-i-know-what-youre-thinking.html">http://www.fringeguru.com/editorial/brighton-2011/doug-segal-i-know-what-youre-thinking.html</a>

Love.

Doug
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3694 Posts

Profile of JanForster
No Doug, "Whisper" is different, not to compare with your idea. So stay calm, unless more people are seeing your video and start to try to copy it. But "Whisper" doesn't do. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Doug, I'm not the best thinker but I had the same idea after I watched the DB routine with the TOD.
So, it's far to be revolutionnary, I think some others people have had the same idea and developpe it without tv proof.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Parmenion

I'm not the best thinker either Smile
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Actually I have a manuscript from Eddie Burke more than fuve years old which is EXCACTLY the same method to doug's effect. Except you use someones mobile phone to call up one of their friends and they "read minds" over the phone...

Exact same thing its not new or even Doug's. It wascalled "telephony" If I remember correctly. It certainly isn't a new idea.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Gary Kurtz also had an excellent effect like this that he graciously shared with me. I use it when someone's cell phone goes off during my show.
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Mindpunisher. Different method.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
"Suffolk" and I just caught up on the phone to discuss our approaches to this and they are very different indeed. So just for the record, Whisper and what you see Doug performing are different effects both in presentation and method.

- K
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
I should probably add that you can't do my effect with Ken's method.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
For what its worth, I can tell you that I just had some interaction with Kennedy regarding my purchase and two things stood out to me: 1) how quickly he responded and 2) how honest and accomodating he was. I wish everyone I purchased anything from was as helpful and honest as he was.
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Well I have read the thread from start to finish a few times and also Ken's advert a few times both captured my interest .

The advert is there for one purpose to sell the product and generate £30,000. If Ken achieves this , then that is a great return and I predict more and more products are going to be sold this way . Easier to sell 200 at £150 than say 3,000 at £10 and less time involved .

My views on the marketing :

"A gentleman standing in the audience " - Does not state any person chosen at random from the audience .. no ball tossing into the audience like on Penn & Teller.

"Thinks of a word " A classic of magic marketing - Most keen buyers mentally add in a tiny word to the statement "ANY" but it is not there and that is important !!

"Thinks of a word " - Again would be buyers see what is not there, that the guy is delving through the 12,000 words stored in his memory and coming up with one - The advert makes no reference to how "the word " is created

"Her choice is free and fair " Wishful thinking buyer focuses on the word "free" and translates this to mean "Any word" . It does not mean that ..

"Your back is turned " Smiling - a classic mentalist skill

"You have genuinely never met " the girl before .. true ... but back up what about the guy standing up ? that line not mentioned regarding him?

But wait , it states there is no pre show and therefore by that statement I am assuming the guy has not been spoken to before so that is OK , the "never met line can apply to him also "

HOWEVER this seems to be in conflict with that part of the advert which states "Whisper is not about getting the information a spectator is thinking ..we have a zillion ways of doing that ... be it a word from a book " . Whisper is about getting a second person to reveal the word.

For the price, the advert makes no comment who is best suited for the effect . hobbyist , amateur, pro or the venues it is idea for . Ken on the thread mentions mainly for corporate and stage but has used for intimate parties .

My question to Ken is, having done the effect at the intimate party, before the end of the night the man who sent the thought is bound to have a chat with the woman who named the thought .. we humans are curious creatures , that is bound to happen . Where they still dumbfounded ? or did the lightbulbs turn on above their heads. You ould not do the standard tossed out deck at an intimate party for the very reason the 3 people would have a little chat .

I expect this post will be deleted but for £200 I think buyers should read what the advert says without filling in the gaps with a dream scenario.

Please note the advert is well written to entice a buyer , I do not think it is written to deceive a buyer intentionally. For the price charged Ken is right to assume the buyer has the level of experience to read between the lines.

I do not considered myself that well read in the field , since half the time I am in the playing card field but the effect can be duplicated as others have said using basic mentalism ideas linked together .

Andy
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Andy - great post and dissection of the ad blurb. The two people can talk all they like after the show and they are still dumbfounded (great word, going to use it a lot more myself).

I don't see any reason for your post to be deleted at all.

- K
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2847 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Yes, Andy proved to be well versed in dissecting advertising phrases - very insightful and well thought out, bravo!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
voh002
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of voh002
Quote:
On 2011-06-29 15:15, brehaut wrote:
For what its worth, I can tell you that I just had some interaction with Kennedy regarding my purchase and two things stood out to me: 1) how quickly he responded and 2) how honest and accomodating he was. I wish everyone I purchased anything from was as helpful and honest as he was.

Could you please give your thoughts on the product? There have been few reviews, so it would be nice to hear what buyers think of "Whisper".
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I will give my thoughts on it once I have completely read the book
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2655 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Looking forward to reading some reviews from purchasers.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2011-06-29 16:59, voh002 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-29 15:15, brehaut wrote:

Could you please give your thoughts on the product? There have been few reviews, so it would be nice to hear what buyers think of "Whisper".

At £200 I should think he would respond quick.... Mentalist logic is quite funny at times Smile I have to say I love the Café...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Whisper by Ken Dyne (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL