The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Whisper by Ken Dyne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
The market usually determines whether something is priced appropriately. If he sells out at 200 pounds, then that is certainly the marketprice
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2700 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On 2011-06-20 19:54, Thomas Cooper wrote:
I'd happily pay that price if I knew it was not a DR effect.

If you get a spectator on stage and tell them they are going to read someones mind and then 'whisper' to them exactly what to look for and how to assimilate that information into a meaningful thought, then obviously the overall effect for that person will be different from the audience perspective. But that is as far as the DR goes, the people on stage appreciate the same effect as the audience. There are no clever linguistics or double meanings involved.

Thomas Cooper, please stop guessing, if you don't know how an effect is achieved then you cannot and should not criticise it on its method.

Derek
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18311 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...i don't have any issue with pricing...its his work, he can charge what he likes...its nice to be told "charge more" by people, too...

to be fair, one gig would pay for this - so whats all the groaning over price? if its too rich for your blood -thats fair enough, but don't slate something JUST because its X-amount...

as long as an effect says 'where' it can be performed, then fill yer boots...not got this by the way, but it sounds good...

reminds me a little of a kenton thing from the description...
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2655 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
You can charge whatever you like for what you sell but when you add that "limited edition" stuff it's hard not to look upon it as a ploy to make all your money before a purchaser gets a chance to say anything bad about your product. Am I being too cynical?

The effect described seems similar to Derren Brown's "Be a Mind Reader for 10p". Is it the same or different?
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
362 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
Looks like an amazing product. Interesting though, how people will readily buy something at a higher price than at a lower price. You see it all the time in marketing.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
It is a mistake to reconcile the price of an effect in relation to what one charges for a gig. That cannot be a sensible measure of value or justification for price. The question of being 'worth it' must be asked in relation to the cost of other effects on the market. If you have $325 you have the option of buying this, or buying $325 worth of other mentalism products. If you have a pressing need for a new effect and there is nothing else for $325 that is good enough for your purposes (and clearly the more specific the purpose the more difficult a substitute may be to find) then this could be worth it.

As for Kennedy - he is clearly a man of comedy. You can see he's got hustle from his website and even his offerings to the lay public, he's a classic example of an information guru in the making. He's got the facebook integration - but is not yet offering any form of freebie in return for someone making a facebook comment. Missing a trick I think Smile

What I will agree on is that he can charge whatever he likes. But everyone else is more than free to make comment on that price, his marketing and their percieved value of his offer. This sort of debate and criticism goes with the territory of being a marketer.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2655 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 10:07, Davit Sicseek wrote:
The question of being 'worth it' must be asked in relation to the cost of other effects on the market.

This is an interesting point. For example, determining whether or not an item is worth more than a copy of "13 Steps" or "Practical Mental Effects."

I was stunned to notice that "PK Touches" is selling for only $15 on Banachek's site! If an effect sells for $150, is it 10 times better than "PK Touches"? I doubt it. If someone were offering "PK Touches" now for the first time, can you imagine how much they'd be charging?

We, the consumers, must shoulder some of the blame for the situation. Until we can control the Pavlovian response to click "Buy" each time we see an ad touting, "Just like real mind reading! Limited Edition! Pre-Order Now!", the longer we will continue to see such ads. It's unfortunate that some people do not limit deception to performance. While there are plenty of folks out there with integrity there are others who come across as used car salesmen trying to sell used cars...to other used car salesmen. Smile You should be wary when the description of the presentation seems vague or if the video demo looks heavily edited. If something looks too good to be true it usually is.

Read ads more carefully and take note of what is NOT being said. It's gotten so that whenever I now see an ad that reads "Nothing written down!" it translates in my mind to "You hand out these really prop-y looking lists, the spectator chooses one of the numbered entries, performs a mathematical calculation, flips the number upside-down and thinks of the Disney character it resembles." Smile

When you are disappointed with an item and you feel you got stung, you need to be willing to announce "The emperor's got no clothes on" instead of being cowed into silence by rave reviews from big names (who probably got the thing for free) and/or by the embarrassment of admitting you spent a week's wages on crap and/or by the realization that you may not be able to palm the purchase off on some other sucker after you speak ill of it.
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1523 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
The good thing about sites like this is that people can review what they've bought, which can help the majority avoid the cons.

The bad thing about sites like this is that people can review a product before they've bought it, speculating themselves into a lather.

T.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Actually, any of those facebook comments can be deleted - just like a regular blog comment.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I'm starting to think I priced "The Artful Mentalism..." a bit too low. No wonder I have to keep performing. Smile

Bob
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You should've read "Artful Marketing 101" Bob...
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-06-21 17:02, mindpunisher wrote:
You should've read "Artful Marketing 101" Bob...

Apparently I should have. Smile
voh002
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of voh002
I have seen the effect live performed by Ken Dyne, and he explained how he did it afterwards. I must be honest to say that I think the book is overpriced. It is a good effect, but even though I'm fairly new to mentalism, there is not much new in Whisper. Just one thing, as I see it. But people are willing to pay 200 pounds for this book so maybe the price is right, because it is the market that determines the price. I will also say that this is for stage use, not for family and friends.

Just to make it clear. I have not read the book myself, and I do not know of supplements that are written by others. I have only seen the effect and the explanation.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2845 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 16:56, mastermindreader wrote:
I'm starting to think I priced "The Artful Mentalism..." a bit too low. No wonder I have to keep performing. Smile

At least you keep selling it and people buying it...
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-06-22 04:56, Nicolino wrote:
Quote:

Actually, I sold that to the publisher for a flat fee. I had no idea it would sell as well as it did. I think I'll sell my next book for $250,000 a copy. It's a bit steep, but I only need to sell one.

:eek:
Lost in Thought
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Lost in Thought
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 07:30, mastermindreader wrote:
Actually, I sold that to the publisher for a flat fee.

I don't know what to say. Thank you?
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, I sold that to the publisher for a flat fee. I had no idea it would sell as well as it did. I think I'll sell my next book for $250,000 a copy. It's a bit steep, but I only need to sell one.

I have a feeling that the publisher would make more then his money's worth (maybe double over).
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

On a serious note Bob, have you ever sold a book on a limited basis for a "high" price? If not, are you going to consider it in the future?
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
I'm quite aghast at how much discussion has taken place regarding the price of this release. Kennedy has been as clear as possible in describing what purchasers of Whisper will be able to achieve. The price is a moot point as far as I'm concerned.

Up front I will let you know that I consider Kennedy a good friend, and was privileged to be asked to proof-read the book before it was published. The bare bones of Whisper are beautifully elegant in their simplicity. One spectator gains the power to read the mind of another. Even if the mind-reading spectator is interrogated by his peers, and chooses to reveal exactly what was whispered, a healthy dose of illusion still exists.
The extra contributions are pure gold.

I don't consider myself to be well known, or have a reputation that brings any respect here on the Café, your own judgement will dictate to what extent you believe my following statement.
Spectator as mind-reader is certainly not new. However, the methodology behind Whisper is certainly something that, not only I, but several more well-respected members of our community, have confirmed to be a new technique.

Warmest Regards,
Steve (not that one) Shaw
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

www.magicblog.org
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 04:26, voh002 wrote:
I have seen the effect live performed by Ken Dyne, and he explained how he did it afterwards. I must be honest to say that I think the book is overpriced. It is a good effect, but even though I'm fairly new to mentalism, there is not much new in Whisper. Just one thing, as I see it. But people are willing to pay 200 pounds for this book so maybe the price is right, because it is the market that determines the price. I will also say that this is for stage use, not for family and friends.

Just to make it clear. I have not read the book myself, and I do not know of supplements that are written by others. I have only seen the effect and the explanation.

I think Kennedy has learned something good here.
Don't explain anything to beginner, they'll split on you face to thank you.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Whisper by Ken Dyne (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL