The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Whisper by Ken Dyne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Andrew Sway
View Profile
Loyal user
-------
221 Posts

Profile of Andrew Sway
Parmenion it seems that you don't believe ?

Ive never made a big deal out of that iam having big collection of Al Manns booklets
and it seems that your post is an ironic answer to my post
Andrew Sway
View Profile
Loyal user
-------
221 Posts

Profile of Andrew Sway
But this is what I was expecting....always the same on the Café
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Rehashing the old diamonds eh? Naughty naughty!

Although I've read a great deal of Al Man - I can't recall this 'bonus revelation'. PSI Droid, maybe you should sell off the reference for $50 Smile
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1240 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Kindergarden....
"i know it and you dooooont....naaanananaaanaaaa"
:D Smile
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
Andrew Sway
View Profile
Loyal user
-------
221 Posts

Profile of Andrew Sway
Smile
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Hi guys,
I'd stayed out of this as long as possible but just want to set a few things straight so that people can make the most informed choices, buy it or not to buy it and all that.

Whisper is an original piece and I certainly know that people like Colin McLeod and Patrick Redford wouldn't have put their name anywhere near it if it was not. What's more, Mark Elsdon and Ian Rowland (who wrote the foreword) are 2 of the most well read people I know in mentalism and they too contributed significantly to Whisper.

When it comes to originality, like all things Whisper is simple and is constructed from methods that have been used in different applications. Just the same way that there are many card tricks that use double lifts, but they create a different outcome. What Whisper is, is a new way of putting things together that I accidentally created and am getting reactions from that are really astonishing.

Whisper is certainly not for everyone, and some of the people who have inboxed me for advise and as they will confirm, I've been totally honest with my experiences of using this and when I'd feel comfortable using it and when not.

It's mainly for use when doing a stand up performance. I use it for intimate dinner parties, cabaret and stage performances. I don't perform strolling very much at all so can't comment on it's usefulness there.

I know it's a significant investment, that's why I am doing every little thing that I can to be as transparent about the routine as possible, while still protecting the investment of those who feel it's right for them. Hence making the video and keeping the effect description as clear as possible with no clever sales speak wherever possible.

If anyone has any burning question, is on the fence about this or anything, please do PM me and I'll reply as soon as possible with whatever you need.

Thanks again guys.
- K
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4174 Posts

Profile of bobser
To answer Mind Guerrilla's question: the action between this and 'Brown's 10p' are different, albeit we don't completely get to see Brown's due to heavy editing.
However, someone from The Café asked me to perform 'Whisper' at the weekend, which I happily did. I think I can say that I blew them away.
I have no real idea if I used the exact same method as used in this most recent 'Whisper' as I wasn't shown it and won't be buying it.
But I would imagine that there won't be a lot of difference. The method I used is extremely old (at least 20 years) and is right there, free to be used by anyone who wants to pick it up. Nearly all magicians would absolutely know how to create such an effect.
However, I guess if someone uses several different methods and combines them into one and says it's theirs and wants to charge... well, anything they like really. Then it simply HAS TO BE ok.
But I would say that I DON'T see this being priced just to allow the serious mentalist to buy it. Rather I think it is absolutely priced for the money. Understand I have no problem with that, it's simply my belief.
The main reason I say that is because any serious pro mentalist would absolutely already be able to perform this. And have several ways to do it.
I would always caution anyone to be aware that: very rarely is the advert the actual presentation of the how. I'm NOT saying anyone is lying, it's just that nearly all sales caryy with them a little bit of omittance and just a tad of misrepresentation. And because of that, and the fact that I know some stuff, I just KNOW that if 'I' purchased this I'd be horrified when I opened it up.
In closing, to answer someone's question back there, when people spend A LOT of dough on something, just sometimes they're too embarrassed to tell the world what they've done. Especially when they're mentalists, guys with really really really clever minds.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Lol, it's a shame, people split on whispeer, not new, expensive (maybe) but everybody wants to know the "secret" of course for free...
Artin you ask to nicolino he explain to you how it works... schade!
Now can we call whispeer DR?
Hmm... I don't think so...
I know nowadays everything is DR or PS or DP...
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2845 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Good grief, you really sound kind of bitter to me recently, Parm - all those resentful posts in the Café's fora, what's merely bugging you??

Believe it or not: ArtIn is professional mentalist enough to be very respectful about the art; he thus has not asked me about the how of the effect nor any secrets! However, we both are well versed enough to exchange about the definition of IS vs. DR, for example.

Sorry for getting off topic once again but comments like those make me overreact...!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3691 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Everybody should calm down a bit... I don't have the book but did think about it for a (sorry short) while and had a solution I thought it is the thing... Meanwhile I know it is the solution. I asked somebody who bought the book quite simple: I think it is so and so, just tell me if I'm right or not. I am. Quite clever idea, although I'm really not sure if it's so new besides the fact that it is surely not for everyone to make a spectator a mindreader... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Nicoloino I have nothing against you Smile
It's just too much , I know the secret will spread quickly but I think is disrespectful for the creator to ask for how it works or almost on the public forum...
Professionnal means nothing nowadays, I kno lot of "professionnal" they don't know anything about their "art" or you mean because he's professionnal he's the right to know?
I'm feeling like Davit right now, lol
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2655 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
"It's in an Al Mann booklet, which shall remain nameless..."

"It's at least 20 years old and is right there, free to be used by anyone who wants to pick it up."

You're all such teases! Smile

While not referring to "Whisper" in particular, all the recent threads on expensive/sight-unseen effects raises this question: If you were to go to your local magic shop and the owner refused to demonstrate a trick, might you still purchase it (after, of course, apologizing to him for casting doubt on his reputation)?
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2011-06-28 12:19, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
"It's in an Al Mann booklet, which shall remain nameless..."

"It's at least 20 years old and is right there, free to be used by anyone who wants to pick it up."

You're all such teases! Smile

While not referring to "Whisper" in particular, all the recent threads on expensive/sight-unseen effects raises this question: If you were to go to your local magic shop and the owner refused to demonstrate a trick, might you still purchase it (after, of course, apologizing to him for casting doubt on his reputation)?

Depends on what I knew about the owner, my past experiences with him, his reputation and how much I trusted him.
runeflax
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of runeflax
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2011-06-28 12:53, runeflax wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h0zoSLnZfk

Well that was impressive
runeflax
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of runeflax
Quote:
On 2011-06-28 13:07, brehaut wrote:
Well that was impressive

I guess Doug's method has not much to do with whisper, though...
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2845 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
The R. principle at work... Smile
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2011-06-28 13:12, runeflax wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-28 13:07, brehaut wrote:
Well that was impressive

I guess Doug's method has not much to do with whisper, though...

How do you know? Is it just me or does giving the spectator the "power" lessen the effect? There seems to be a trend just now to over think mentalism and be "too clever"....

I personally think the whisper thing is weaker than direct mind reading...its just more "clever" from the mentalists point of view. Its less clean.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3691 Posts

Profile of JanForster
No, it's not only you, me too... That's why I wrote: "...although I'm really not sure if it's so new besides the fact that it is surely not for everyone to make a spectator a mindreader..." Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2845 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Could you guys explain why you personally think it weakens the effect when the spectator is (apparently) shown how to read certain signs and behaviour of the sender?

Presenting an effect with the rationale that what you are doing is basically a blend of human knowledge, psychology, observation etc. it would not be impossible to give an audience member some "insights" into your practical experience.
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Whisper by Ken Dyne (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL