The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..16..29..42..55..68~69~70~71~72..82..91..100..109..116~117~118 [Next]
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-11-06 15:19, saysold1 wrote:
Potty, Jim and Eric... All honest comments and appreciated.

For me the reactions can vary...from a big "wow" to a more subtle raise of the eyebrows with confused expression.

But let me say this - I get a similar "range" of reactions with my faithful Quantum Bender 2 - which at times drives me nuts. I mean I just bent a friggin signed quarter... Yet maybe 2 or 3 in 10 either don't react, or taker the coin and give a kind of "hmmm... Interesting" reaction and could care less.

So that's the nature of magic generally. Performance surely does matter a great deal BUT for some you will never get a Las Vegas Strip "Oh my god" video scream. I accept that.

I love my IR personally... If I can get 6 or 7 looks of honest astonishment out of 10 ... Which I do... Then I am a happy magic camper.

I’m going to side a lot with what Brett said. Magic is indeed a strange little animal and performance reactions can vary quite a bit from one extreme to the other. I love performing Multi Dimensional (my own personal presentation) which normally doubles people over with disbelief. However, once when I performed it I simply got a very curious look and then did Twisted Sisters for the same group and you would think that I had just parted the Red Sea! Go figure.

Also, as someone else mentioned, that one of the strong attractive features to IR is that, for all practical purposes, it is a self working trick and nothing is left other than how you may wish to present it which I totally agree with. Hey, who doesn’t like something that is self working and takes no skill! Well, aside from that small group of “purest” magicians who feel that if it doesn’t take knuckle bending sleight of hand from countless years of practice and concentration akin to being a Buddhist monk and if something cannot be performed with an ordinary borrowed deck of cards, coins, etc. it is not magic. All the power to them, but I’m admittedly certainly not among them and I’m probably the laziest person who is probably more like Homer Simpson! Doh!

I certainly don’t consider IR to be my strongest magic effect by any stretch of the imagination, nor would I even consider it my best purchase, but it certainly ranks very high out of all the “self working” crap that I’ve purchased over the past off and on again 40 years of doing magic (yes, I got a late start compared to most).

As for performing IR for a group of people that is something that I personally would never consider doing. I feel that the strength of IR is performing it “in your face” as in on a one to one basis and I never, nor would I ever consider doing so for more than 2 to 3 people other than the performance I did for the family in the restaurant and that was my only unexpected exception, and thankfully it worked out great. Well, actually more than great thank heavens! Other than that, I would never consider doing that again. I also, and this is just my personal opinion again, feel that IR should not be performed as a quick effect, i.e. simply stabbing a knife through it and it’s over with. To me that only cheapens it and merely turns it into a puzzle and it’s no wonder that some people simply come up with a quizzical and silent reaction as the spectator(s) never have a chance to fully comprehend just what happened. Either way, a raised eyebrow, and or being puzzled by ensuing silence as to how you did what you just did, or a gasp of wonderment in the end amounts to the very same thing, and that thing is simply what we call……MAGIC! In the end, when all is said and done, that works for me! Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2384 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Just to be clear on what I said. This should NOT be rushed but kept at a fast pace. This is a hard hitting effect. Forget for a moment the method. Look at what you are telling the audience. You show them a deck of cards, you penetrate this deck of cards with an object, you then show them this is a solid piece of metal. Now this is not the time to slow this effect down. Hit them and hit them hard. Tell whatever story you want but keep this moving. Try it and you will see what I mean. When I do my matchbox version I pull my sword (drink stirrer) and I explain that these are more dangerous than people believe. I pull my matchbox and penetrate it right in front of them. I then hand it all to a spectator and tell them "Here you try but first open the box and show what is inside". The effect takes me 1 to 2 minuets but they love it. Now IR is bigger in size and yes there are more applications open to you. However keep this at a good pace. This is one of those effects where you don't give them a chance to catch their breath. NOT rushed (never rush an effect) but kept at a good pace. Some call this timing. When they see the penetration they figure the cards have a slit in them all the way through right? Don't give them a chance to loose that thought. While they are still thinking they KNOW what you did---hit them with the even more impossible scenario---a solid piece of steel! Sometimes you have to be ruthless! In a good way. I hope this makes sense because it will help get you that reaction you should get from this.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Suux88
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of Suux88
Anyone still waiting there's from sept 21 ship date in ireland/uk, I am getting impatient.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-11-07 08:18, Suux88 wrote:
Anyone still waiting there's from sept 21 ship date in ireland/uk, I am getting impatient.

I think you would be better served by contacting Jamie either by PM or email rather than posting any shipping issue that you may possibly have here. After all, he is the only one that can address your question, and or concerns. Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Has this thread ever reached the second page of L&G - ever? Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
I received mine today.this thing rocks.
I love the way it works.good job jamie
I will try it out at a show this weekend.
todd
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5522 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I received the lightly used one that I was very lucky to purchase right here on the Café. It is killer. I've already ****ed off my magic-hating family (they are both puzzle-lovers, and hate being fooled), and am on to my next victims...this is going to be fun!

P.S. The love and attention that was put into the design and packaging of this effect is marvelous. I believe if someone is willing to care this much about how they dress up their baby...than they have to be a very, proud parent.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
414 Posts

Profile of boinko
Can I order this? Link in first post is dead. Is this no more?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya Gang!

Great thoughts and comments all around- thanks!!!

And to everyone who's just getting theirs~ Please don't forget to enter the...

INDUSTRIAL REVELATION Video and Photo CONTEST!

I'll be giving away a huge canvas poster to a lucky winner:

~Win this!~

~and get your name here~

and a Limited Edition AIP bottle!

All you need to do is post a Video (which gets you 2 entries) or a Photo (for 1 glorious entry!) of you performing Industrial Revelation for a chance to win. And, at the moment, your odds are awesome!!! Let's take a look at the current entries:

Video

Craig & David

~the IR section starts at 25:00~

Eric Leclerc

Ewan

puggo

Sammy J.

saysold1

Jamie D. Grant
Ha! It's my contest, so I can enter, right?

Photos

Matt

Chrisssyyy

Blaque_Magik

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good Luck! Contest closes Nov.15!

Your pal,

jamie
http://www.SendWonder.com
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Though at this point Jamie doesn't need any more praise for this great trick I would be remiss in not publicly thanking him for the outstanding customer service I received from him. I can't think of any seller worthy of higher praise.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
47 pages, unreal.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Quote:
On 2011-11-09 11:18, Magicmike1949 wrote:
Though at this point Jamie doesn't need any more praise for this great trick I would be remiss in not publicly thanking him for the outstanding customer service I received from him. I can't think of any seller worthy of higher praise.

Thank you for that! Too kind!

And I think the reason this thread has so many views is because people are actually using their purchase, lol. That was my goal all along and I can't describe how happy it makes me to see pictures, read stories, watch videos, and hear ideas from everyone who is actually going out into the world and Sending Wonder with their Industrial Revelation. I can't thank you all enough.
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Just to let you know, I had Joshua Jay's "Pro Carrier" a while back. I only had it a week or two and I was just carrying a normal deck of cards in it, and it got caught on something as I was working. The loops got ripped right off! I'm using Sankey's "Assassin's Pouch" right now, and although I've been a little wary about the one flimsy loop on that, so far I have had no problems!
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1393 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On 2011-11-11 21:11, BatsMagic wrote:
Just to let you know, I had Joshua Jay's "Pro Carrier" a while back. I only had it a week or two and I was just carrying a normal deck of cards in it, and it got caught on something as I was working. The loops got ripped right off! I'm using Sankey's "Assassin's Pouch" right now, and although I've been a little wary about the one flimsy loop on that, so far I have had no problems!

Crikey how fast were you going lol
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I wonder if this has showed up on Twitter yet?
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3220 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Still waiting mine....
:(
gummyavenger
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of gummyavenger
Here are a couple of me performing it a while back:

saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
This is one I took a little while ago... at a restaurant here in Phoenix.

Click here to view attached image.
TimEden
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of TimEden
I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said on here but how nice to be on the 47th page (!) and still not see the thread depreciate into the usual "Actually this may not be that great after all..."!

So if you want magic that is...
* Incredibly hard-hitting
* Completely unfathomable
* Very easy-to-do
* Cheap
well...three out of four ain't bad!

Seriously though, if I replaced that last one with * Value for money, then it really is worth every single penny (or denomination of your choice!).

My favourite magic purchase of my career so far.

Well done again, Jamie, both on your product and also the deserved overwhelming praise it has received.

Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..16..29..42..55..68~69~70~71~72..82..91..100..109..116~117~118 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL