We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..21..39..57..75..89~90~91~92~93..98..102..106..110..114..116~117~118 [Next]
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2478 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Will you make a platinum edition Smile
jm4345
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of jm4345
I have been using my I.R with Instant Radio 2,after letting the spectators[usually for me only a few,so they all get to handle it] examine the block I then say that 'the other thing that I can't understand is how this happens !'. Not quite sure if this is overkill but the reactions have been very good so far.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
What different would it be when choosing between olive oil, cooking oil or lubricant liquid?
Magic comes through perception. -HS
coosticks
View Profile
Regular user
London
124 Posts

Profile of coosticks
Quote:
On 2012-03-02 11:09, jm4345 wrote:
I have been using my I.R with Instant Radio 2,after letting the spectators[usually for me only a few,so they all get to handle it] examine the block I then say that 'the other thing that I can't understand is how this happens !'. Not quite sure if this is overkill but the reactions have been very good so far.

now there's a thought! I have both of these, thanks JM, I'm going to try this......

I waiting for my QB2 to arrive at the moment, and plan is to somehow combine this with IR; any ideas anyone?

Obviously one could just follow the coin penetration with the bend; trying to think of a more creative way though...

perhaps this: spec watches as you do the IR routine with their signed coin, then you do "the move", then get them to try it themselves... when they fail you somehow integrate the QB2 routine to come up with something along the lines of

"..... well this block is in fact so hard that... look you've actually bent the coin trying!"

I'm struggling to get the wrinkles out of this idea though.

I also thought about combining another gimmicked sharpie effect with the QB (like my xpert which I've had for ages, or the new SYNC by Jose Prager); that way you could maybe switch out gimmicks....

have only just though about this possibility though
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1116 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I've also been using IR with QB during my walkaround sets. I haven't combined them thematically, though; I've simply followed up IR with QB since there's an inherent connection being interwoven between routines by having a quarter in play during both routines. Having a signed card either before or after these tricks is nice, too, since a Sharpie and the cards serve as the common thread. In addition one is creating some momentos for folks to take home.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya Gang!

I've gotten a couple of PMs recently about how I've managed to do a few billion performances without anyone discovering the secret- not even once. And while I stand firmly behind the construction of the block and it's invisibility, I also appreciate that my handling might also have something to do with it. So, without any further ado...

JAMIE D. GRANT's "NEVER WORRY" PERFORMANCE NOTES

1) I hand them the quarter (which I just pushed through the block).
2) I then place the cardbox, with IR still inside, onto their same hand that is holding the quarter (I ask them to hold their hand out like a table)
3) I let them feel the weight.
4) I then lift it up and pull out the block, placing the block onto their hand directly on top of the quarter.
5) They go crazy, lol.
6) They will ALWAYS grab the block with their other hand and look at it for a moment.
7) Once they realize it's solid steel, their eyes immediately go to the cardbox I'm still holding.
8) As soon as I notice that look, I offer them the cardbox and extend my other hand to take the block back.
9) Block goes into the pocket, as they play with the quarter and box.
10) Voila!

I think the only thing to mention is that when I place the block (still inside the box) onto their hand for that one second, I have my opposite hand underneath theirs (palm up) to catch their hand as it bobs down because of the pound and a half of weight.

Hope that gives some insight!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
mndude
View Profile
Special user
785 Posts

Profile of mndude
Quote:
On 2012-03-03 10:58, coosticks wrote:
Quote:

now there's a thought! I have both of these, thanks JM, I'm going to try this......

I waiting for my QB2 to arrive at the moment, and plan is to somehow combine this with IR; any ideas anyone?

Obviously one could just follow the coin penetration with the bend; trying to think of a more creative way though...

perhaps this: spec watches as you do the IR routine with their signed coin, then you do "the move", then get them to try it themselves... when they fail you somehow integrate the QB2 routine to come up with something along the lines of

"..... well this block is in fact so hard that... look you've actually bent the coin trying!"

I'm struggling to get the wrinkles out of this idea though.

I also thought about combining another gimmicked sharpie effect with the QB (like my xpert which I've had for ages, or the new SYNC by Jose Prager); that way you could maybe switch out gimmicks....

have only just though about this possibility though

Wow! That's a great idea. It'd give the image that it was somehow warped while traveling through steel. I guess have them sign the quarter first to prove it's the same quarter coming out both ends, then QB2 it, and then IR.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
The case I purchased for my IR is manufactured by Body Glove and it's called a Touch Screen case and is compatible with large Smartphones. I paid $16.96 at Walmart. Here are a couple of photos of the case:

bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
I like that nonvpro.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I might add there is a card box and a full deck of cards in the box.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Nonv,

I might check that out. I use a horizontal cell phone case and like how it spreads the weight out horizontally. It also makes retrieval a little easier.

I posted a picture of it about a zillion pages ago.

Be sure to let us know how this works out for you!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
What I like about the case I purchased is that it's vertical and not horizontal. I tried wearing it and then used my wife's case which is horizontal. Being vertical it's less apparent under my coat than when I wore my wife's which is horizontal. The horizontal case created a larger bulge under my coat than the one I posted.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1174 Posts

Profile of Salby
It would be nice if there was no clear area there.

Everyone will see a deck of cards there on your belt... And with a slit in it also.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2012-03-05 17:28, nonvpro wrote:
What I like about the case I purchased is that it's vertical and not horizontal. I tried wearing it and then used my wife's case which is horizontal. Being vertical it's less apparent under my coat than when I wore my wife's which is horizontal. The horizontal case created a larger bulge under my coat than the one I posted.

Interesting point. I notice a distinct bulge under my shirt when I wear my horizotal case. Off to Walmart to check it out!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I'll wear the case not in front or on my side but towards the back. This way when I go into/open my coat it won't be apparent. This is the same place I wear my cell phone. If I let my right arm drop down to my side and hang straight down and inline with the side of my body, the case will be just behind my arm. Hope this makes sense.

Sammy
The SKU or the number below the bar code on the packaging of the Touchscreen Case is: 4385960737. The number above the bar code is: CRC91365. Good luck on you quest.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

I use Jerry O'Connell's leather poker card case I got a while ago. It is nicely tucked in and you can have the one with belt loop. If you wear jacket then it's good if you attach it onto your belt close to the back. So it won't be visible.

I will post the pictures later in case anyone wants to see it.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1936 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Quote:
On 2012-03-03 10:16, Failed Magician wrote:
What different would it be when choosing between olive oil, cooking oil or lubricant liquid?

Cooking oil like arachid or olive oil has a lot of impurities in them that can react with the steel. A mineral oil like clear (colorless/transparent), thin parrafine oil (easily available) will not do that.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Thanks for the pointer. I've applied few drops on the unit and it works like a charm. How about lubricant oil for gears? Will it be better as well?

I'm afraid that lubricant oil will leave some dark residues.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1936 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
I believe lubricant oil for gears often is a mixture of oils including parrafine oil. It isn't as 'pure' I think (perhaps some other ingredients are used like anti-foam additives).
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

I think I might just go with lubricant oil. As for now, the cooking oil still work great.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..21..39..57..75..89~90~91~92~93..98..102..106..110..114..116~117~118 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL