We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..22..41..60..79..98~99~100~101~102..106..109..112..115..116~117~118 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10643 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Well adamchance I like you enthusiasm - just don't honestly know if handing the spectators the box with the knife in it...and suggesting it be bandied about it a wise idea.

First there's always the chance that a spec might close or push the gimmick. That wouldn't be good - and once out of your hands there's a decent probability (no possibility) of that ocurring.

Second - and even more significantly - by telling them its heavy + letting them FEEL the weight... You've just removed the #1 thing that makes IR or MP a miracle and a genuine surprise to the spectator.

Enjoy your block as there are many ways to perform this, but I would perhaps adjust this routine so that the thing that makes it "magical" still remains - and to my mind that is the discovery of a 1.5 lb slab of steel in a card box.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
I totally agree with saysold on this.
todd
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2012-12-21 23:05, saysold1 wrote:
Well adamchance I like you enthusiasm - just don't honestly know if handing the spectators the box with the knife in it...and suggesting it be bandied about it a wise idea.

First there's always the chance that a spec might close or push the gimmick. That wouldn't be good - and once out of your hands there's a decent probability (no possibility) of that ocurring.

Second - and even more significantly - by telling them its heavy + letting them FEEL the weight... You've just removed the #1 thing that makes IR or MP a miracle and a genuine surprise to the spectator.

Enjoy your block as there are many ways to perform this, but I would perhaps adjust this routine so that the thing that makes it "magical" still remains - and to my mind that is the discovery of a 1.5 lb slab of steel in a card box.


ya, I understand what you're saying. I'm not even sure if I'll use that presentation or not... it worked out well when I did matchbox penetration. I'll give a few methods a try and see how they all work for me.

but you definitely sacrifice the surprise of the steel block with the routine I described... but the idea then is that they focus more on the fact that there's no hole in the block, rather than that a block is there in the first place. the fact that the block of steel is there is surprising and shocking, but it's not magical... the magical and impossible part is that the block doesn't have a hole in it.

but I honestly wouldn't worry too much about handing out the deck with the knife through it (obviously not a sharp knife)... if you presented it correctly. and especially if you tape the card case shut. I never had a problem handing out MP with the toothpick still inside it. maybe don't hand it out if you get the feeling that someone's going to try to screw with you, but I think 99% of the time you'll be fine.

if you just tape the card box shut... I don't even really see a problem with people holding the card box and moving the knife through it. I really don't think they'll find anything or screw the trick up. I donno... maybe I'll eat my words and come back with a few horror stories performing it this way... but we'll see how it goes.

the advantage though is that it sorta seems like the magic happens in the spectator's hand. they'll tell their friends that "the magician got me to push a knife through a steel block". so this presentation is a bit more hands on... but you sacrifice the big surprise and you're exposing yourself to some risk handing it out I suppose. so it's got its pros and cons
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Also, if you don't want to hand the deck out with the knife still through it... you can have the kitchen knife through the deck... then hold the deck and tell the spectator to hold onto the knife... tell them to hold it tight. then bring the deck maybe an inch from the end of the knife, and then let it go. it actually feels heavier the closer to the end of the knife that you put it. then they'll feel the weight of the deck as soon as you let go. so that will be a bit of a surprise. then you can show how the deck goes back and forth through the knife that they're holding. then you take the deck off and either hand them the deck, or pour the block out into their hand or however you want to do the reveal.

(also, maybe let go slowly or keep your hands there in case they're not actually holding the knife tightly)
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Ok... I've tried a variety of performances and this is the one I've had the best reactions from. I'm sure many people will not like this handling... but it's worked for me.

anyways, you bring out a deck (kinda covering the slits) and you tell the spectator that a great old magician had shown you this illusion when you were a kid... and that you couldn't sleep for days after seeing this because it was so impossible... ask them if they're sure they want to see the trick because you don't want them to lose sleep over this, etc. etc.

you tell them that the old magician asked you to guess what was in the card case. you say that "my first guess was a deck of cards". then the old magician took a knife and put it right through the box (and I think I'll also put a nail in the bottom half as well). then tell them that "then I guessed that there was nothing in the card box, or that it was a deck of cards with a hole in it." but the old magician said that he would give another clue, and allow you to hold the knife to feel the weight of the card box. so you let them feel how heavy it is. (holding the knife at each end with the card box in the middle of the knife.)

then say that the old magician told you that a solid steel block was inside the card box and that the knife wasn't really going through the box and that it was just an illusion. then you move the knife back and forth and tell them that this is just an illusion, etc. then let the spectator feel the deck. you'll be holding the knife that is still through the box. you demonstrate by having your thumb on the back of the card case, and your first two fingers on the front... and it feels like a solid steel block. you can feel all around the knife and it all feels solid.

then you can say "when the old magician showed this to me, I told him that it felt like a block of steel... but that there must be a hole in the steel where the knife goes through.... the old magician replied that there was no hole in the steel and that the knife going through the box was just an illusion." then ask them to put out their hand... slowly take the knife out... put the deck in their hand, and tell them to open the box. they will open it up to find a solid block with no hole in it.

so that's the basic idea behind the routine and handling. when I was performing it last night at a pub, I would say things like "it really looks like the knife goes through the box eh?" or "do you think the knife is really going through box or do you think it's just an illusion???" they reply that they don't think it's an illusion and that they think the knife is really going through the box. you tell them that they're wrong... that it's not real... that it's just an illusion... etc.

the only explanation one girl had was that I somehow took out the block of steel with the hole in it, and replaced it with a solid block... but even she knew that wasn't really right and had no clue how the heck that happened and was totally fried.

I know that some of you would be nervous passing the knife through cardbox out... and especially allowing people to feel the metal inside the card box... but there's really not much to worry about. when feeling the box this way, you really can't feel anything and it truly does feel like a solid piece of steel everywhere you press.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
That works for me adam.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Well, I took the plunge and bought this solely as a closer for a Xmas Day family show.

I can't disagree with all the other posts here about the standard of service from Jamie. It arrived with two days to spare! On top of that, it is a beautiful work of art.

However, I knew from the start that my time with this was limited as I just couldn't see a way of working it into my 'usual' (deck only) performances. But for a Xmas 'spectacular' I thought, "Why not?"

Would you credit it?!! My one time only performance flopped! I had 'presented' it with a knife penetrating the box throughout my act - as a side show if you like. Come the final Revelation, a tiny spec of cardboard got pinched in the you-know-what and rumbled me!!

Oh well. Onwards and upwards!
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1692 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 05:09, Roger Kelly wrote:
Well, I took the plunge and bought this solely as a closer for a Xmas Day family show.

I can't disagree with all the other posts here about the standard of service from Jamie. It arrived with two days to spare! On top of that, it is a beautiful work of art.

However, I knew from the start that my time with this was limited as I just couldn't see a way of working it into my 'usual' (deck only) performances. But for a Xmas 'spectacular' I thought, "Why not?"

Would you credit it?!! My one time only performance flopped! I had 'presented' it with a knife penetrating the box throughout my act - as a side show if you like. Come the final Revelation, a tiny spec of cardboard got pinched in the you-know-what and rumbled me!!

Oh well. Onwards and upwards!




Shi** Happens my Friend:) The Magic Word is: Exercise, Exercise, Exercise:)
A World without Magic is a World without Dreams and Hope:)



Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, CRAZY CARD CHANGE, POLTERGEIST
www.rasmusmagic.ch
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Doh!

I'm going to add that tip that someone mentioned a while ago, to my emails that I send out- for the first couple of times, before the box breaks in, a piece of tape on the inside of the box will prevent any "hanging chads".

Aside from that, thanks for the kind words!

~jamie

P.S. Adam- thanks for the routine! I personally prefer the apparent belief that the cards turn into a block of steel, but whatever works for you!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic... coast to coast, here's to another...
334 Posts

Profile of Silver Glove Magic
Quote:
On 2012-12-29 07:49, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
Doh!

I'm going to add that tip that someone mentioned a while ago, to my emails that I send out- for the first couple of times, before the box breaks in, a piece of tape on the inside of the box will prevent any "hanging chads".

Aside from that, thanks for the kind words!

~jamie

P.S. Adam- thanks for the routine! I personally prefer the apparent belief that the cards turn into a block of steel, but whatever works for you!


"hanging chads" sounds like a great name for a band, or T.V. show. ehe. Thanks J.D. Grant!
Posting ever so slightly.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10643 Posts

Profile of saysold1
With typical modesty...(Not) the hanging chad idea was mine way (way-way) back about 60 pages ago Smile

Sorry Roger - that sucks but its happened to me too when I got one of Jamie's early batches.

Always clean the interior of the box and a little clear tape inside makes all the difference.

Enjoy and thanks to Jamie for spreading the wonder...
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Dang! Wish I'd read the entire thread now!

Hanging Chad, ha! I wonder where that came from?! Smile
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
We live and we learn my friend.
lilyjane13
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of lilyjane13
Hi everybody,

This is my first post,i love this trick.
I buy two IR so they are fine.
I made two videos of the tour with a bottle of coca cola and a can, I hope you find the idea interesting.
Thank you Jamie.

Sorry for my english,i'm french.

Magicalement.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OMK-tT2K60s
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GcgkCIzYvq0
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2013-01-29 20:03, lilyjane13 wrote:
Hi everybody,

This is my first post,i love this trick.
I buy two IR so they are fine.
I made two videos of the tour with a bottle of coca cola and a can, I hope you find the idea interesting.
Thank you Jamie.

Sorry for my english,i'm french.

Magicalement.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OMK-tT2K60s
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GcgkCIzYvq0


these links might be better for some:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMK-tT2K60s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcgkCIzYvq0

you're a genius man! very creative!

imagine combining skycap with your IR pop bottle routine!
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1316 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Hi Jamie,love this trick! I was one of the first to buy this effect and I always treated it with care!BUT recently I made the mistake of lending it to a magic buddy when I received it back I was shocked to see what a state it was in,the unit has numerous pitted marks where he has allowed it too be jabbed at with something metal, the corners are rough and damaged where its been dropped,it now doesn't close all the way on one side leaving a very obvious pitted line.Very P----d about this as it will take more than I'm capable of doing to repair it.I would appreciate any suggestions,apart from the obvious one of don't lend out you magic effects.
Cheers Tim
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2618 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On 2013-01-29 20:03, lilyjane13 wrote:
Hi everybody,

This is my first post,i love this trick.
I buy two IR so they are fine.
I made two videos of the tour with a bottle of coca cola and a can, I hope you find the idea interesting.
Thank you Jamie.

Sorry for my english,i'm french.

Magicalement.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OMK-tT2K60s
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GcgkCIzYvq0



I love this idea. Putting my skycap together with my IR. Thanks for the idea.
bonesly
View Profile
Regular user
London
176 Posts

Profile of bonesly
Quote:
On 2013-01-29 20:03, lilyjane13 wrote:
Hi everybody,

This is my first post,i love this trick.
I buy two IR so they are fine.
I made two videos of the tour with a bottle of coca cola and a can, I hope you find the idea interesting.
Thank you Jamie.

Sorry for my english,i'm french.

Magicalement.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OMK-tT2K60s
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GcgkCIzYvq0


That was very creative and adds a sense of mystery to the effect. My only critique is that you should start with the straw and card box already set up so the routine plays out smoother and there is no fumbling.
mndude
View Profile
Special user
785 Posts

Profile of mndude
If you hand off the box to the spectator with a knife to play around with they are going to be a lot closer to figuring it out.

It leaves out many possibilities of how it could be done. When I first saw this performed I was wondering "is there a secret hole?" Did he move the block to the side? To the top? Did he really penetrate the box with the knife or is it just an Ignition like illusion?"

Jamie: "I'm going to add that tip that someone mentioned a while ago, to my emails that I send out- for the first couple of times, before the box breaks in, a piece of tape on the inside of the box will prevent any "hanging chads".

Holy Cow! I think that I'll might be that somebody he's referring to. I can't imagine the honor of having a comment I made appear in an email that Jamie sends out...especially those about IR!
lilyjane13
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of lilyjane13
I also buy skycap,thank for the idea.
Thank you for watching my videos,thank you for your encouragement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..22..41..60..79..98~99~100~101~102..106..109..112..115..116~117~118 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL