We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..24..45..66..87..107~108~109~110~111..116~117~118 [Next]
Christian Rey
View Profile
Regular user
Magician'y toast...to my
135 Posts

Profile of Christian Rey
So I actually performed this the other day for my family close friends, and had an OH-NO moment, when I went to reveal the solid block, there mocking me in the face was the **** screaming out the method for all to see. At first nobody realized what they were looking at however it only took a second or two for the pieces to fall into place like a game of Tetris. I don't blame the product, I take full responsibility for the malfunction...perhaps its best to give it a full run through if its been sitting around for months without use...Mine was set up ready to go and I guess I didn't execute the final move correctly..obviously right? DOH!

Still think this is def one of the more unique close up effects using solid weight...reminds me of the days of Brian Gillis, suddenly a train nut/bolt appears from nowhere moment. Different effects, but same kind of surprising solid metal punch.
My first name rhymes with Magician
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4356 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Yikes.

Yeah, one of the reasons I sold it was because I had a situation just like this.
I completed the move and a woman had the right grip on it and pulled it right apart, I was thinking about getting it again but it can be nerve-racking when you've had a situation like this.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of rowland
I know it makes resetting more difficult but mine is tight enough so there is no chance that will happen
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1172 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2014, rowland wrote:
I know it makes resetting more difficult but mine is tight enough so there is no chance that will happen

Mine two. Plus, I've learned to detract suspicion from the block and to the box.
charlies_hat
View Profile
Regular user
Norwich, UK
108 Posts

Profile of charlies_hat
I've had mine in use as one of my openers for 18+ months, so it must have had hundreds of uses, and still absolutely fine and tight as anything. I use a signed coin to "prove it's the same coin going through" which enables me to finish the routine after something like ring and string / stand up monte etc. with my nest of wallets and the same signed coin we started with.

One small tip, I've found that at the point of reveal, after the move, to delay dropping the block out for a few seconds while the box is upside down and open, has notched the reaction up even more. I love the "CLUNK" followed by stunned silence... "WTF?" is a common first response!
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Sashac
I've created a really great little segue into this effect. If you'd like to know it, PM ME! It's suitable for a more relaxed environment.

(Hopefully I won't get as many PM's as I did for the switch by Shin Lim, 417! I had to empty my mailbox SO MANY TIMES!
Adam Joseph
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Adam Joseph
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2014, Sashac wrote:
I've created a really great little segue into this effect. If you'd like to know it, PM ME! It's suitable for a more relaxed environment.

(Hopefully I won't get as many PM's as I did for the switch by Shin Lim, 417! I had to empty my mailbox SO MANY TIMES!

This guy has a great idea! I would strongly recommend IR owners send this guy a PM. Very very cool little science type effect. I still don't really understand how it works to be honest, but it works and it's very neat.

Thanks again Sashac!
Adam Joseph
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Adam Joseph
Just realized that IR fits into the vanishing deck gimmick.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S2276

Now you can turn a deck of cards w/ card case into a block of metal after you've done your IR penetration effect.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, Adam Joseph wrote:

Now you can turn a deck of cards w/ card case into a block of metal after you've done your IR penetration effect.

Smile Smile Smile

Outstanding idea.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1076 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, Adam Joseph wrote:

Smile Smile Smile

Outstanding idea.

I'm curious how this would play - having part of the card box opened showing IR block through it?
Instead of ruining a Vanishing Deck box though, just cut out one side of a normal box.
Adam Joseph
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Adam Joseph
My idea was to just do my IR routine (put a kitchen knife through the deck, then show that it was a solid block of metal). Then after everyone is done examining the metal block, I would leave it on the table just to the side and go into my next trick.

For the next trick, I bring out an invisible deck (could be any card trick though) with the white vanishing deck card case over it. I do my invisible deck routine where their card is face down in the deck. When they are looking at the face down card and reacting, I put the invisible deck in the card box and it goes into my pocket (the white vanishing deck card case remains on the table). At this point, they hopefully think the trick is over. If there is no heat on me, I can just bring out the vanishing deck gimmick s***l and cover the metal block and hope no one notices. Then I can pick up the gimmick with the IR loaded in it and put their card (that was face down from the ID) inside the gimmick. When you put their card in the deck, they think they see a full deck of cards in the card box. Now I get someone to inspect the white deck case for teleporters and whatever, then I use the case to cover the card box. Then I turn it over and reveal the deck changed into the metal block. And then they'll look on the table and realize the metal block isn't there anymore. You pull the metal block out of the white card case... show the card case is otherwise empty. If you want, you can produce a normal deck from one of your pockets to show that the deck was now in your pocket and you can ditch the dirty case (the case can now be examined if you pull it out of your pocket leaving the gimmick behind).

If you can't just boldly cover the IR with the gimmick, you can just take the IR and put it in your pocket, load it into the vanishing deck gimmick in your pocket, and come out with the IR already loaded. I've tried that a couple times and it's a bit tricky to load it properly in your pocket and I also don't want to destroy my gimmick because the metal block is so heavy.

Anyways, I'm going to see how it flies in the real world at some point and see what I'll be able to get away with. Because I think it would be cool to do the IR effect, then the invisible deck trick, then involve the IR block again in a 3rd effect when they're probably not expecting anything like that to happen. I've actually had great reactions from the vanishing deck gimmick for years because it is a very clean and convincing deck vanish. But tieing that in with the IR makes it more part of a routine and I hope makes the effect even stronger.

I thought of this idea because I wanted to make a wooden block to fit in my vanishing deck gimmick. That way, instead of a deck vanishing (putting some heat on the dirty deck case), it would turn into a block of wood. My thinking was that people would want to look at the wood and then wonder how a deck of cards turned into a block of wood (giving me time to clean up). But then a lightbulb went off, and I put a closed IR into the gimmick and it was a perfect fit. Your angles are very good. When you open the card box, it looks like a deck of cards and you can even incert their selected card into the box (at the top) which helps prove that it's a real deck of cards. When you cover the deck with the white case, you can do it very slowly and you can encourge your audience to really burn you. Then you can very cleanly turn your hands over to show that the deck changed into the metal block. Or if you trust your spectator not to drop it or examine things too closely, you could put it in their hands and they will be surprised by the weight and then surprised when they turn it over to see that the deck has vanished.

Another great thing is that when you slide the IR out of the white card case, it doesn't slide the gimmick out with it. I actually think that you could allow the spectator to do a lot of this in their hands if you have no fear of getting caught. They can really handle the props relatively freely and as long as you took the dirty white card case back from them after a few seconds, you could probably get away with it. The IR in the white case really helps to hide what's going on.

Also, if you carry your IR in Jamie's "The Vault", you can talk about how you always use deck cases to protect your card boxes from getting ruined. So you can say "oh look, check out this awesome card case!" and show them the vault. Then when you do your other card trick (invisible deck in my case), you can show them the white card case and say "oh, this one is just a basic card case, it's not as nice, it's just made of plastic, but it protects the boxes well". They can even hold onto the white card case if they want while you do your card trick. But it gives some justification for using this white card case and it gives you a reason to show it to them to examine it.
stevegore
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of stevegore
My 9 yr old daughter Deanna used IR on a CBBC programme "Help my School trip is magic" episode 8. I love using it myself
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
I love mine, too. I was a little nervous about using this with men, but finally did and came to realize. Who would try to do "anything" to a solid block of steel? hahahah works every time and I love the moment of stunned silence when I do the reveal.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
I did IR for my son-in-law, who is a mechanical engineer. I dropped it into his hands for the reveal. He looked at the block, turned it over once and remarked, "That was super sleight of hand".
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
I can always tell when this topic comes to the top at at the Café because I'll get an influx of sales, lol.

So THANK YOU to everyone who is still talking, thinking, creating, and sharing their stories of their Industrial Revelation!! Sales aside, it brings me so much joy to hear everyone's experiences and ideas!

Your pal,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10643 Posts

Profile of saysold1
73 Café pages of thrills and chills!

Must be some kind of Ripley's record... all deserved.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2014, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
I can always tell when this topic comes to the top at at the Café because I'll get an influx of sales, lol.

So THANK YOU to everyone who is still talking, thinking, creating, and sharing their stories of their Industrial Revelation!! Sales aside, it brings me so much joy to hear everyone's experiences and ideas!

Your pal,

jamie

Jamie,

The thanks go to you for giving us this wonderful prop. I love using it and love the reactions.

Preston
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
I still don't know the right tool to tighten it up, can someone please advise?

Thanks.

Neil.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1520 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Does anyone know of a dealer in the UK selling these?
Or a private seller in the UK?
Thought it would help reduce the shipping Smile
Thanks
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2014, bluedragon wrote:
I still don't know the right tool to tighten it up, can someone please advise?

Thanks.

Neil.

You could try a bit of bee's wax.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..24..45..66..87..107~108~109~110~111..116~117~118 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL