The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (81 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23..44..64..84..104..124..125~126~127 [Next]
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Some great brain storming here. I used a variety of things on my rusty meteorites and finally got an electric grinder for the heavy stuff. Very fine sandpaper was a must.

Anxious to hear back from Illusioneer on his clean up.

Decomp
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
NYC
752 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Purchased a sheet of very fine sandpaper today at the hardware store. Although I never thought to maybe try steel wool. I believe the steel wool would penetrate the small striations of the original finish better (Which is where my scratches lie).

I'm meeting with my good friend and colleague, Eddie Garland, to get a second opinion on whether I should attempt to rebuff or not. I trust his eye more than my own. Perhaps I am suffering from a case of seeing it through Magicians eyes.

I'll keep you posted as well as post a very good performance story!
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Boy Im sure it will turn out okay. Can't wait to hear about it Illusioneer. I know some are concerned but no one I know has been busted at least yet..... I use to feel the same way with T. TImber and the gimmick being seen. I ended up buying a second one and its still a winner. Reminds me to break it back out when the season starts!

Decomposing
big dan
View Profile
Regular user
UK/Canada/New Zealand
178 Posts

Profile of big dan
Come on mr post man I am dying here!!!
So jealous right now!
Some people work to ski....i ski to work!
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Do I loose my last bit of stret cred (not sure I actually ever had any) if I admit I have a High Clibre Holster that may carry IR quite well.?

If so this was posted by Decomposed after hacking into my account.

Regards
Steve (or somebody pretending to be him)
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Quote:
On 2011-07-31 02:53, Decomposed wrote:
I used a variety of things on my rusty meteorites and finally got an electric grinder for the heavy stuff. Very fine sandpaper was a must.
Decomp

METEORITES!!! Those are really hard to polish.
Decomp - I'm on the road today but expect a PM soon.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
big dan
View Profile
Regular user
UK/Canada/New Zealand
178 Posts

Profile of big dan
It's alright Steve, we're all just secretly jealous you have a high caliber holster and we don't!!

I have just been offered a walk around gig at a restaurant where they are having a magic themed quiz night! I really hope this arrives in time. Can't wait to try this out!!
Some people work to ski....i ski to work!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Ten four Jazzy.

Decomp
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2011-07-31 02:38, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-31 01:06, Sammy J. wrote:
I have noticed some "grime" on mine caused by the reset motion. I tried mineral oil, but it doesn't clean it up.

Super fine steel wool #0000 buffs it up nicely.
A light coat of Renaissance Wax will help to retard rust.
I use Subaki (Camelia) oil on my carving chisels and planes, wiping it off after application.
It leaves just enough for protection.

Thanks for the tips, jazzy. I will try the steel wool.
Sammy J. Teague
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
What an awesome thread for an awesome effect!!
I can't stop messing with my IR!!!!
I am learning "Chinese Charming Challenge" and thought to use the chinese coin for IR. I purchased the coins in Korea and they are really cool looking. Old, worn out. They're real Chinese coins.
Anyways, I did it with IR, and I LOVE it!!!! IR is the easy part. Now to master CCC.
I also have an AIP bottle, so I want to have that near by (my "office") so when they are freaking out and asking how... I hand them the bottle. Just a thought.
BTW: Everyone here LOVES the AIP bottle. They ALL say that the bottle was formed around the deck of cards... of course they're WRONG!!!
Back to IR:
Someone earlier mentioned using a mini sword. Like an excaliber sword. Maybe do IR after a "Card Stab" effect. Mark Leveridge has a card stab effect called Excaliber, but any sword would work.

It's been 5 min. I need to do IR again!!!!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Cant wait for more real world reactions, nice going Mike. Sounds like you are having fun with this.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
All Letter openers, some give length ,but it does not state the thickness. Since no one has mentioned using letter openers yet. I guess the same as mini swords.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Oops, meant to provide this link. http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Let......rds.html
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Oops, meant to provide this link. http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Let......rds.html
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I've player around with my letter opener, and it works fine. You can find them at "Staples".

They say they are stainless steel but they aren't, so they work great as a PK device. Just charge it, set it on a table with the "stainless Steel" marking facing up, and when a ma***t gets close the opener spins like a top!
Sammy J. Teague
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my IR!

Thanks Jamie! Also, since I know that Jamie reads this thread (since he started it 15 days ago)have you ever thought of offsetting the center p*n so that the slot in the card box can be located in the middle? Just a thought. (IR 2.0?)
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Good point.

On a similar note I decided to create a new card box with the slots at the lower end of the box towards the bottom. I kinda like this as visually it looks like the piercing is deeper into the deck closer to the middle.

I'm also now using a "red herring."

I tool one joker playing card and put a slit in it to match the box. The card is inserted into the box - on top of the IR block - with the card box flap inserted BELOW the card when flap closed. That way the herring card can be easily pulled out without opening the flap.

Many people when asked guess either the box is empty (after the coin going through) or they guess there is a deck inside with slits through the cards (Cut cards!). That's when I pull one card out showing they are so smart and right on! Then bam...
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
Great idea, SaySold. Do you mind if I use it. I promise not to perform it on any TV appearances Smile
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Outstanding idea Saysold1.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2011-07-31 02:38, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-31 01:06, Sammy J. wrote:
I have noticed some "grime" on mine caused by the reset motion. I tried mineral oil, but it doesn't clean it up.

Super fine steel wool #0000 buffs it up nicely.

Thanks once again jazzy. I bought some of this steel wool this morning and it took away most of the grime (or whatever it is).

Where do you get the wax you mentioned? Lowe's didn't know what it was.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (81 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23..44..64..84..104..124..125~126~127 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL