The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12..21..30..39..46~47~48~49~50..64..77..90..103..116~117~118 [Next]
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-09-10 23:14, Decomposed wrote:
WD40 contains water Dave.

Quote:
On 2011-09-10 20:13, Decomposed wrote:
Like Gaffed said, WD40 has water in it.....probably the worse you can use.

WD40 does not contain water and I NEVER said it did! It is perfectly safe to use if you so wish. It was invented as a water displacement chemical, so having water in it would certainly be counterproductive to say the least! Here is an excerpt from a WD40 FAQ site:

What does WD-40 contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1050 Posts

Profile of NFW
Doesn't contain silicone ! wow you learn some thing new every day, I had always assumed it did - thanks Gaffed.
Some body on these posts did say it contained water, which I thought a bit odd but now we know !
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2415 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
WD40 will keep it clean and maintain a very smooth operation, and very little is necessary, there are thousands of uses, not all are metal's, use it to clean leather or vinyl, It removes rust stains, etc.
Break Free is also very good, it just does not have as many applications.

http://www.wd40.com/
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Why would a solid metal block have the odor of WD40 emanating from it?

Why would a solid metal block have any sort of lubricant residue on it?
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5420 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Gaffed,
After reading all 32 pages I award you MVP (most valuable poster) on this thread. Thanks for all your advice regarding care and maintenance!
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-09-11 10:40, Artie Fufkin wrote:
Why would a solid metal block have the odor of WD40 emanating from it?

Why would a solid metal block have any sort of lubricant residue on it?

Why not? It's a block of metal and metal can rust.

Actually, when I wipe the block down I do so at the end of the day to remove all of the salt residue left by the hands/fingers. Before you take it out to perform there is nothing wrong whatsoever in cleaning it with a rag to remove any type of lubricant residue. The whole idea I was trying give was to make sure you clean it with whatever lubricant you're comfortable with before it's placed away for the evening, and or possibly days. That's when those little rust gremlins attack! Smile
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya Gang!

There were some great comments and questions about puzzle thoughts on another thread and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in!

With regards to the Puzzle aspect, it's an interesting observation. To be honest, I never thought of it in that light until someone else mentioned it. To me (and I realize that I'm extremely biased, lol) I have always thought of IR as a 3 in 1 effect...

1) A Transformation~ The first magical moment happens when I place the box into their hands or when they lift the box off the table. Since it's in a cardbox and I've been referring to it as a deck of cards the entire time (I'll sometimes do a sw***h), that's exactly what they're expecting. So when they feel the weight (1.5 pounds), there's a transformation happening. Why is this deck so heavy?!

2) An Appearance~ Granted it's not a tiger, but something amazing is going to come out of the box that has no place in this environment. Like the tiger on stage... How did a block of steel appear in my hand? Where did it come from? It's so heavy, there's no way he was carrying that this whole time!!

3) A Penetration~ Now comes the kicker. After they've been amazed (and I promise you from the thousand or so times I've performed this, they're amazed even at this point) you can almost see their minds begin to melt... Wait a minute...Didn't a quarter just go through there?! Wha!!!

The dictionary describes a puzzle as:

"a toy, problem, or other contrivance designed to amuse by presenting difficulties to be solved by ingenuity or patient effort."

I have to say that, in my opinion, Industrial Revelation doesn't fall into that category. At the end of the effect, I firmly, 100% believe that the spectator isn't thinking, "How on Earth does this block work?" but rather, ""How does Jamie do these things?! He's amazing!!!"

That said, I am the absolute worst person to defend Industrial Revealtion as I created it and am always looking on the positive side of things (thats' my nature), lol. I always love open discussion though enjoy reading every post that's written by someone who has taken the time out fo their day to comment on something I created. Whether it's good or not doesn't matter; it's an honor.

You guys are awesome!

jamie d. grant
http://www.SendWonder.com
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Just back from "Magic in Rockies"!

After showing IR, people were calling it "The Trick"! They would say, "Sammy, show her "The Trick".

Lots of fun, and great reactions!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Its a gig maker and a future gig maker. Will be long remembered long after the paid gig has finished. Good for business, good for the performer.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Hello boys and girls !!!

I've been enjoying all the swell posts here and enjoy them immensely.

I haven't posted here for a little while (been busy with another cool product) but thought I would relate a cleaning observation with my prized SF clock.

I was making the mistake of only using the Rem Wipes on the exterior of the block, and not on the hard to reach area(s).

The problem is that I was starting to get a visible line of gunk in exactly the wrong spot. So Phil can chime in here but when cleaning it's best to clean everywhere so that ALL the surfaces get an equal coating. I then use a soft cloth to wipe the excess. After cleaning again tonight everywhere, the block now looks nice and even... just like an old steel block should.

...by the way, Phil- Sammy and Wayne - you guys are doing a h*ll of a job here Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Did I say SF Clock???

I meant IR Block!!!

I'm losing it Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
viler
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
183 Posts

Profile of viler
LOL Brett
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
363 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
I would have posted this sooner, but I have been too busy showing people my IR ;-)

This prop is a work of art. As usual, Jamie has put 110% into this. It is made to perfection and is a real fooler. I have lots of ideas brewing and have been experimenting with all of them to great success.

I do have one complaint tho:

The packaging is too nice! The prop comes with a quarter melted to the box with wax so that you don't have to get your own and can experience instant satisfaction. In my case, I didn't want to ruin the packaging by removing the quarter and thus had to find my own. Maybe you can include a loose quarter too Jamie .... just a suggestion ;-)

The best thing about this effect is the multiple stage reaction:
1. When you hand the spectator the box, they immediately feel the weight and react
2. When they discover the steel block instead of a deck, they react
3, When they see the block is completely solid, they react.

Also ... was at brunch last Sunday with some name magicians (I won't drop them for their own protection). Lets just say that the waitress said this was her favorite effect after seeing all of the fancy sleight of hand from said "name magicians"

Just sayin ....
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 01:50, Doug McKenzie wrote:
I would have posted this sooner, but I have been too busy showing people my IR ;-)

This prop is a work of art. As usual, Jamie has put 110% into this. It is made to perfection and is a real fooler. I have lots of ideas brewing and have been experimenting with all of them to great success.

I do have one complaint tho:

The packaging is too nice! The prop comes with a quarter melted to the box with wax so that you don't have to get your own and can experience instant satisfaction. In my case, I didn't want to ruin the packaging by removing the quarter and thus had to find my own. Maybe you can include a loose quarter too Jamie .... just a suggestion ;-)

The best thing about this effect is the multiple stage reaction:
1. When you hand the spectator the box, they immediately feel the weight and react
2. When they discover the steel block instead of a deck, they react
3, When they see the block is completely solid, they react.

Also ... was at brunch last Sunday with some name magicians (I won't drop them for their own protection). Lets just say that the waitress said this was her favorite effect after seeing all of the fancy sleight of hand from said "name magicians"

Just sayin ....

Doug...

Just sayin that you might want to consider sharing a video up on here with your magic pals... so you can have a chance to win one of Jamie's groovy AIP Bottles at the end of October Smile How cool would that be?
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-09-11 23:59, saysold1 wrote:

I was making the mistake of only using the Rem Wipes on the exterior of the block, and not on the hard to reach area(s).

The problem is that I was starting to get a visible line of gunk in exactly the wrong spot. So Phil can chime in here but when cleaning it's best to clean everywhere so that ALL the surfaces get an equal coating. I then use a soft cloth to wipe the excess. After cleaning again tonight everywhere, the block now looks nice and even... just like an old steel block should.

...by the way, Phil- Sammy and Wayne - you guys are doing a h*ll of a job here Smile

Thanks for the kind words Brett. Working on a crazy way of performing IR which I haven’t tried yet although I’m quite confident that it should work out great. The only problem is that it’s something that requires some set up and not something that one can do on the spur of the moment, but perhaps for those special occasions. When I get it worked out and give it a go I’ll definitely post here.

Yeah, as for cleaning I really left out something that is very important, and obviously something you’ve found out. I didn’t wish to inadvertently slide into any exposure on the working of IR, but suffice to say that the area that you’re referring to is the one area that most definitely needs attention when cleaning. You can have, if you so wish, a block that is as pristine looking as the day you got it by keeping it clean. However, as times goes by it really won’t mean much if you neglect to lubricate and then clean the inside also. For those that have IR you’ll most certainly know what I’m referring to. Once you get a rust like build up in that area you’ll be hard put to clean it up again. Suffice to say that if you’re going to pay attention whatsoever to keeping the block clean that is the one area that needs attention. Even if you wish to have the block having that well worn, rusty look that area needs to be kept clean and looking like the day you got IR.

I’d ask what your new toy is, but I don’t wish to be tempted with any new purchase.
Too many medical bills and more to come. As a matter of fact I’m off to the doctor again today. Smile
~Yogi Berra~

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Garrett Thomas has a great routine using the old matchbox penetration that turns it more into magic than a puzzle. He performs the match box penetration than puts it back together and leaves it on the table. Next he does a card to impossible location. The location? The matchbox that used to have the brass block in it now has the chosen playing card.

I've always loved that routine and was trying to think of a similar progression with IR. What I'm thinking, (although haven't tried it yet) is to take out a deck of cards and have the spec select one. While they are signing it, do a deck switch with IR. Next, take their signed card, fold it in half and penetrate the deck that they just chose their card from with the folded card. Finally give them IR to open up to see that it no longer has in it the deck of cards but now a solid block of steel. I might then move to Warp One by David Ren Jenkins using thier signed card having 'prepared' the card while they were looking at IR.

Mike
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Definitely on the right track there Mike.
I think as time goes on we'll see some wild variations with this.

Haa! You could also have a card engraved on one side of it.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 17:16, rockwall wrote:
Garrett Thomas has a great routine using the old matchbox penetration that turns it more into magic than a puzzle. He performs the match box penetration than puts it back together and leaves it on the table. Next he does a card to impossible location. The location? The matchbox that used to have the brass block in it now has the chosen playing card.

I've always loved that routine and was trying to think of a similar progression with IR. What I'm thinking, (although haven't tried it yet) is to take out a deck of cards and have the spec select one. While they are signing it, do a deck switch with IR. Next, take their signed card, fold it in half and penetrate the deck that they just chose their card from with the folded card. Finally give them IR to open up to see that it no longer has in it the deck of cards but now a solid block of steel. I might then move to Warp One by David Ren Jenkins using thier signed card having 'prepared' the card while they were looking at IR.

Mike

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=8000
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Another item worth watching is this...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

Soon to be released by Kozmo.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
So are you saying that the IR block can be made to appear in the empty box?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12..21..30..39..46~47~48~49~50..64..77..90..103..116~117~118 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL