We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..16..29..42..55..67~68~69~70~71..81..90..99..108..116~117~118 [Next]
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
608 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Still eagerly awaiting mine ...last 2 weeks has been full of anticipation ...it cant come soon enough!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Wow Gaffed, that is some story!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10648 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Looks like Penguin is pushing a new MB penetration:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13697

Maybe the home run success of IR is inspiring others to dust off their MP's to collect some extra coin?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2494 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
I've now been doing this for a few weeks and I must admit the reactions are now very good.

When I first started with it it was ok received more like a puzzle, now the presentation (cut cards with a knife etc) is feeling right for me people are amazed so much so last night I was asked to do it again for some people who had not seen it.

I have mine set tight so there is no way they are going to find out how this works, but I do need to come up with a good line when they hand it back and say do that again!

I just joked it off and said no lets show you something else.

The smaller blocks are now on the market but I stand by this, the size and weight is a real shocker even though its a bit of a pain to carry around.

I have even did this parlour style for about 12 people on a wine glass, which went down very well to, you can't really do the matchbox version for a big table or parlour show.

If you are still on the fence about this don't be the service from Jamie is great (he replaced mine without question when I had a problem), and it is a strong effect.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Thought I'd share my latest presentation.

I keep IR in a battered "aged" box.
I tell folks it belonged to my grandfather, a magician, who kept all his magic stuff in the shed at the end of the garden. And he used to let me look around sometimes.
I show a key. "This was the key to his shed"
One day just before he died, the shed burnt to the ground and IR was the only thing that wasn't in the shed at the time.

But his magic still lives on. I pass the key through the box a couple of times.
Then hand it out and leave it with them.

As for dropping IR, I think I already mentioned (probably 20 pages ago) that mine flew out of my pocket as I ran across the road. Still in perfect condition.

steve
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3225 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Still waiting mine...
:(
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-11-04 00:24, saysold1 wrote:

Maybe the home run success of IR is inspiring others to dust off their MP's to collect some extra coin?

Really seems to pale in comparison to IR now doesn’t it?
You can only penetrate it with a needle, and it doesn’t in anyway seem to lend itself to a plethora of presentations as IR does. Actually, it looks more like a puzzle rather than a magic effect albeit somewhat rather cute/interesting. Then again, if it were not for the MP of years ago IR would have never been born. So yay to the egg of what we have now, and of course....Jamie! Smile

Quote:
On 2011-11-03 23:22, Decomposed wrote:
Wow Gaffed, that is some story!

Yeah, and I'm sure we all have some good ones that we could share over the years of doing magic. Just one of those moments where ya just had to be there! All in all, a fun and memorable experience and one of the greatest reactions to IR I’ve ever encountered much to the chagrin of the mother! I’ll never forget the look of that youngest girl when her mother shouted out WTF....PRICELESS!

Lucy, you got some ‘splainen to do! lol
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:

Looks like the same old block in a new matchbox.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10648 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-11-04 19:05, Chessmann wrote:
Quote:

Looks like the same old block in a new matchbox.

Yup -

Once you go to IR ...you'll never go back!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya Gang!

@illusioneer : That's how I keep mine!
@gaffed : That is an awesome story, lol!

Quote:
On 2011-11-02 21:48, autfan wrote:
I just received my IR and all I can say is Awesome! I have found a truly beautiful piece of magic. It is something that I will never throw in a drawer and forget about. It works beautifully and completely blows people away. I can not put this down!

This makes my day! Thank you so much!

Just remember to take a picture of it during your next performance! The contest ends in 10 days! (you can win a huge canvas poster and a L.E. Aip Bottle!) That goes for all of you, lol!

Man, I use a lot of exclamation marks, lol.

Your pal,

jamie
http://www.SendWonder.com
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I still maintain, that IR is best performed on an "offbeat" moment. I'm not as excited as many on this thread about it, despite the evident fact that it's a fooler, and a great prop. Yes, it's very convincing, and lends itself to many different presentations. But is it really "great" magic - no. It certainly has style, and is unusual. I don't regret my purchase - but I still feel it's important to keep things in perspective. IR will not wow a crowd like a well-executed piece of close-up magic can. For manufacturing quality, IR deserves a 10/10. But for shock factor, and impossibility I only award it 6/10.
A nice piece to throw in there amidst your other presentations, but not, in my opinion, a really astounding effect.
My apologies for the slight negativity...but I do feel there needs to be some balance, considering the enthusiasm some evidently have for this prop.
Very nice, but this is NOT the "next best thing" in magic. It's merely a very well-made piece of kit, alomost certainly the best version of the Matchbox Penetration to date.
My intention is simply to get some perspective here, nothing more.
Potty Smile
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

It's always great to read other opinions Potty- Thanks! And an even bigger THANK YOU for 10/10 on manufacturing quality. I've put my heart and soul into this and it makes me super-happy to see it appreciated. You rock!

And on that note...

I'm happy to say that. since its release, I am now 100% up to date with all orders! Hurrah! Whew, I've never been so tired, lol.

My best,

jamie
http://www.SendWonder.com
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Potty,

I think your assessment is fair and reasonable. Thanks for your insight.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland, home of the TAXED
1159 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Potty,
Don't apoligize. You provided your honest opinion. You didn't bash anyone or anything.
I am one of those that love I.R., but I am not at all offended or bothered by your post. It is actually good to hear someone who isn't as excited as all the others on here. Brings it back to re-look.

I have found that I get good reactions, but nothing astounding like some other effects I do. But then again, my presentation style sucks. BUT, this is a great piece to keep at it and I am getting better. Also a great piece to build your confidence in letting spectators handle the prop. At least for me it helps...

Steve (Steveline), I LOVE that storyline! I bought the "old" deck and am still trying to come up with a story that I like. I am in the Army, so I am going with a theme of an old Soldier that left this behind and so on. But, thanks for sharing. GREAT idea! Is the key you have able to do a "Spookey Key" routine? I am tryign to picture that it must be a small key to go through the deck.

Also thinking of combining this with a "Card Sword". But, I don't have a card sword! I am close to purchasing one from a fellow Café member. I would do the I.R. first, then use one of the cards to do the card sword routine. Of course, I could do a card stab (many out there to learn and perform).

So, anyone out there, by all means please run with what I am thinking. Just don't run across the road like Steve did and drop your I.R.!!

Why were you running across the road?

Mike
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2418 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I believe what most find appealing about IR is it's ease in performing it. I personally still use the "matchbox" version but think that IR was and is a smart idea. Sometimes we have to practice for hours to get an effect down and then work on our presentation. With IR we need to really work on our presentation (and NOT dropping the item!). that's fun to have an effect that requires so little practice and yet delivers a punch. I will give a tidbit of advice. This effect is a strong one---it is one of 10 top effects a magician does (penetration). Do this effect as FAST as possible and you will get better reactions. Keep this one simple and NOT rushed but at a pace that keeps this moving. This is not an effect that you milk for time. Yes you can tell a story but reveal this towards the end of the story and set a good pace to close the story and hand the contents out. I believe those who are getting a ho-hum reaction will see a better response. I use a cocktail sword (found in most bars) on my matchbox version to show that these swords are more dangerous than most think and it gets a laugh as well as a "What the heck!?" response always. Anyway I hope this helps and remember it's just a suggestion that works for me and I wanted to share it with my friends.

Good magic to all,

Eric
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I actually agree with Potty. IR is definitely an effect that has some shock value in the reveal. But I don’t think it compares well to a lot of other close-up effects I perform. I tend to throw it in a performance, seemingly as an afterthought. It certainly surprises the spectators and keeps things fresh, but then I quickly move on to the next effect.

TGG, some good thoughts on using IR! Thanks!

Jim
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10648 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Potty, Jim and Eric... All honest comments and appreciated.

For me the reactions can vary...from a big "wow" to a more subtle raise of the eyebrows with confused expression.

But let me say this - I get a similar "range" of reactions with my faithful Quantum Bender 2 - which at times drives me nuts. I mean I just bent a friggin signed quarter... Yet maybe 2 or 3 in 10 either don't react, or taker the coin and give a kind of "hmmm... Interesting" reaction and could care less.

So that's the nature of magic generally. Performance surely does matter a great deal BUT for some you will never get a Las Vegas Strip "Oh my god" video scream. I accept that.

I love my IR personally... If I can get 6 or 7 looks of honest astonishment out of 10 ... Which I do... Then I am a happy magic camper.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

I just performed IR for a doctor. His reaction was, "Do you do private parties?" and he asked for my card. I'll take that reaction every time!

This of course begs the question, can I Magic Friday Review my own trick, lol!

Your pal,

jamie
Mr. Marko
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Mr. Marko
I just got back from a kid's birthday party. Sometimes I hang around and show "grown up" tricks to the adults afterward. I showed IR to the husband of the lady who had hired me. His jaw dropped and he tipped me $25 on the spot.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
I hope to get mine this coming week
todd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..16..29..42..55..67~68~69~70~71..81..90..99..108..116~117~118 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL