The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (81 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..37..59..81..103..125~126~127 [Next]
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
Mine just landed with a thud too. Perfect packaging, the gaff is wonderfully deceptive, and the effect is great.

It even passed the Girlfriend test today.
I did break her pelvis bone on the reveal, and she still gave it two thumbs up.
But that could of been the Vicodin talking.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I just had a short conversation with Jamie about IR and he thought I should post what I told him.

I bought some pants today and when I got home I noticed the security tag still on them. I figured a real strong magnet was what they use to detach it. I have some PK stuff and brought out my massive leg magnet to get the tag off.

I set it on my knee to get the pants ready, when it shot up and slammed up under the table. I had just opened my package from him and the "deck" was sitting above my knee on the table.

I tried lifting the deck and could not get it to budge. I suppose it was an impromptu light/heavy deck. I wonder if I could actually use that in a performance?

Something to think about.

Alec

BTW, I really believe this will become a sought after collectors item.

Good stuff.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
aqmagish20
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of aqmagish20
Rats,not here yet.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Mine arrived today as well. Beautiful packaging and really well made. Haven't had much chance to play with it yet, but I'll post as things progress.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Magikbob
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Magikbob
Mine arrived today and it lives up to (and exceeds) expectations. The packaging is tremendous and even though Jamie gave us a lot of information beforehand,I was still surprised to see this level of quality at this price. I'll have to read Jamie's Part 3 again to fine tune it a bit, but I'm really liking it.

Its time for practice, practice practice

Thanks Jamie
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Echo everything above. Top notch.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Anyone in California get theirs?! I did place the order before the cutoff date for that first mass shipping out.
Magikbob
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Magikbob
Hi rklew64:

I'm in Los Angeles and got mine today
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Received in California as well.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
I expect everyone will see theirs before the end of next week. Hopefully that first rollout before the end of this week. Either that, or there's a bunch of customs officers all blowing each others minds right now, lol.

In all seriousness, though, let me say what an amazing experience this has been for me...

Being a reviewer for the last number of years, I've seen every type of magic effect come across my desk. And I never really thought I'd put one out myself. The "Anything Is Possible" bottle doesn't really count for me, because that's art and takes up a very different (and large) part of my life. But Industrial Revelation is a magic trick. It's something that will be performed by people I've never met. It's a vehicle for you guys to go out, have fun, and change other people's lives. In other words, it's a responsibility. To make it as perfect as possible was so important to me that I can barely explain it.

So to hear feedback from my peers that tells me that it was all worth it absolutely makes my night. I can't thank you all enough.

jamie

Do you have yours yet?

I just got mine. Everything should be this well made. Industrial Revelation takes a modern classic and feeds it Miracle Grow. The result is a thing of beauty.

~David Regal

The packaging is beautiful, but the steel block is even more so. It worked flawlessly, and looks great when revealed.

~Sammy

Absolutely brilliant product.

~Eddie Garland.

Highly recommended, with the caveat that I haven't had the chance to do it for anyone but my cat yet. But he was fooled.

~John
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Thanks for chiming in Magikbob and jonnyboy.

I went and bought flat BBQ skewers for this at Pier 1, I think it is about the same thickness as a quarter - I should go check.
And now gathering a few empty card cases and a Series 1800 vintage card case and looking for old quarters, may have to visit my coin shop.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Just got mine yesterday. It's beautifully made. I love this!

Don't know if this has been discussed earlier - it seems pretty obvious. But, you can fold a playing card in half lengthwise and penetrate the "deck" with a playing card. It just fits, although the slit in the card box will need to be widened a little bit.

You can penetrate the "deck" and leave the playing card halfway through and show it all around. Move the card back and forth a little bit, then pull the card out the other side, and then remove the steel block from the card box. I believe you could even use two folded playing cards if you had two slits in the card box.

Robert
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
I just got mine right now and I've got 1 thing to say about this effect...

WOW! It is beautifully made, completely solid and looks amazing, the workings behind it is completely deceptive and nobody expects it at all, it is just so amazing and it's going to be a joy to use this thing, if you didn't get it be sure and pick one up for yourself, once you see how amazing it really is and how it's made you'll understand the high price tag.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-07-21 14:23, Matthew Jones wrote:
I just got mine right now and I've got 1 thing to say about this effect...

WOW! It is beautifully made, completely solid and looks amazing, the workings behind it is completely deceptive and nobody expects it at all, it is just so amazing and it's going to be a joy to use this thing, if you didn't get it be sure and pick one up for yourself, once you see how amazing it really is and how it's made you'll understand the high price tag.

The price tag seems pretty low (reasonable) in my opinion considering all the handwork involved, the size, all the packaging details, and Jamie's service.

In the old days I think my original matchbox penetration cost nearly $80.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Carried this with me today and my pants fell down. That is one awesomely heavy block. Love this thing.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Hurray! Received my Industrial Revelaation and it is simply BRILLIANT!

I immediate tried it on on my wife and she rated it a 10 - can't beat that right?

The finish work is far superior to the MP that I own as the Florentine finish work is impeccable, and the gimmick operates fluidly with just the right "Goldilocks" resistance - not too hard, not to soft - just right.

I liked Robert's idea with using a playing card folded in addition to the quarter BUT even folded there are some caveats:

1) The fold on the card needs to be creased hard in advance to slip through smoothly
2) The slit in the box needs to be widened upwards... BUT...
3) If you widen the slip up the card will go through beautifully - however this now interferes with the box top tab so the box won't close well.

The easy solution to Robert's clever idea is to make a new box and place the quarter/card slits on the LOWER end of the box rather than the upper. This should solve this minor non-issue.

This is one of the best purchases I have ever made - Jamie if ever come to Vancouver the Espresso is on me Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Regarding Robert's idea-

I just discovered you can cut a small slit in the box *flap* itself which works just fine too - allowing the card to move up and down smoothly using the existing slits.
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Just back home from having coffee with Jamie because I wanted to film him doing this for my weekly Vlog - I have to say this is just incredible. The workmanship on this prop is some of the best I've ever seen. I told him he should be charging way more than he is - I guess the reason he can keep it so reasonable is because it's only sold through him!! While we were having coffee he had three or four emails from people who had purchased this raving about it! As somebody who sees a lot of magic I can say this is more than worth the money and something you'll always carry with you. Well done!!
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://www.paulromhanymagic.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Just got off a Skype video call with Jamie. He sat and yakked with me for over 30 mins! While it wasn't all IR talk, most of it was. He gave me some inside scoop, and some great little tips and tricks to make everything go as smoothly as possible.

I loved this yesterday when I first got it, but now am loving it even more!

As has been mentioned, so much thought and care has gone into this release, it's almost unbelievable. There's no way an item of this caliber could be mass-produced. Jamie gave me an overview of the creation process from start to finish, and I was astounded.

Not only is the workmanship second-to-none, but the effect itself is incredibly strong. Imagine how impressive the matchbox penetration is, and then multiply it by 10 or 20.

If you're going to Magic Live and you haven't already secured your "spot" for one of these, I'd highly recommend that you do it now before they all run out.

Nicely done Jamie!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Okay, why the slits in the box?

I've talked to Jamie about this and he reminded me of the juggling with knives approach. While good, I'm not sure it works for me.
has anyone come up with a different explaination for the slits in the case?

I would appreciate a PM if you have.

I am convinced this will be a powerful effect in performance. I just would like a better explaination as to why the box is slit before the effect. I mean if I can penetrate the deck, why can't I penetrate the box?

Any help would be appreciated. I love the Café, because we can help each other make the most of the effects we chose to use, and this one is a keeper.

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (81 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..37..59..81..103..125~126~127 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL