We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..38..57..76..95..114..116~117~118 [Next]
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Another cool fact: Did you know that they use olive oil as lubricant in machine shops? I learned that as I watched another machinest put a drop down a hole he was trying to make smooth and silent. Just something cool I noticed...

Also, thanks for all the Magic Live purchases! I can't wait to meet all of you!

Your pal,

jamie
http://www.SendWonder.com
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
No Jamie, he was just an Italian machinist. Smile
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Smile

Paul Green sent me this today!

Just received Jamie Grant's Industrial Revelation! I am blown away by the attention to detail--From the great packaging, great directions, and a quality piece of equipment. This is going to have a place in my Strolling Magic repertoire. ~Paul Green

You know, after the success of the "Anything Is Possible" bottle...

...I really can't believe how lucky I've been to recieve all of this feedback for Industrial Revelation. It's really an honour and I can't thank all of you enough!

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I've performed Matchbox Penetration for years. I remember posting a message a few weeks ago wondering if it is worth it doing a similar effect with something that weighs 1 1/2 pounds.

IT IS! MP always got a great reaction, but this leaves them speechless.

I performed this for my son tonight (who has been putting up with my magic for 31 years) and he was floored. Setting the deck down after the penetration and letting them pick it up is as strong as it gets.

Both he and my wife loved the line "A couple of days ago I handed my cards to a guy and asked him to 'cut the deck'. I didn't know he was going to take me literally!"

Great work Jamie. When does the shoebox version come out?

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
mimo67
View Profile
Elite user
France
429 Posts

Profile of mimo67
Thanks everybody for your help and advices. Thanks to Jamie to respond so quickly to my concern. I'll try to follow your recommendations and to clean/add some touches myself to the surface to hide even more what shouldn't be seen.
Saysold are you so lucky to have a super-perfect IR or did you add some 'cleaning' too ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10637 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 02:00, mimo67 wrote:
Thanks everybody for your help and advices. Thanks to Jamie to respond so quickly to my concern. I'll try to follow your recommendations and to clean/add some touches myself to the surface to hide even more what shouldn't be seen.
Saysold are you so lucky to have a super-perfect IR or did you add some 'cleaning' too ?

Mine really is as perfect as I could want, with no touch up needed - and I don't exaggerate - so I guess I am fortunate.

But keep in mind that these are hand made materials. I fully expect to need to use a little sandpaper someday to keep it looking fresh, just like polishing a piece of fine jewelry.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

No problemo Mimo! I'm here to help. And, again, once you start performing it for real world people, you'll see how little it matters. Have fun with it! And make sure you post your performance stories! I've been writing Magic Friday for years, and it's really fun for me to finally read these. Hurrah!
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

After reading my last post, I've come up with a great idea...

A contest!

I'm going to give away one of my "Anything Is Possible" bottles to someone here who posts a real-world performance story! It doesn't have to be fancy or anything and can be as simple as, "I was at work the other day, showed this around, and everyone loved it!"

At the end of August, I'll make a random draw from the names of everyone who's contributed.

Fun!

~jamie
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Does anyone have a mentalism presentation? I do use cards in mentalism. Thanks

Decomp
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Great question! I wonder if we could brainstorm something here...

And for our Industrial Revelation Story Contest, we have:

1) Lou Cirulli

"Alright! So at the behest of Jamie I ended up taking Industrial Revelation to my restaurant gig. I just got back and I must say....THIS THING IS AWESOME!!!! I performed it for as many people as possible. You should have seen the reactions on people's faces after taking the steel block out of the box. Unreal!!! The only downside to it was how heavy it was in my backpocket. I'm glad I had a belt on! LOL. Top notch, Jamie!! This thing kicks a s s !!!!!!

2) Harry Murphy

"One routine I performed (this past Saturday night) had me performing the coin in bottle following Industrial Revelation. The block of steel sat ignored on the table as I went into the bottle routine. It truly put the heat on the coin. I was ready to perform the bottle through table but decided to end with everyone examining the coin.

In all it plays well for me!"

3) taller8

"It even passed the Girlfriend test today.
I did break her pelvis bone on the reveal, and she still gave it two thumbs up.
But that could of been the Vicodin talking."

4) Mercury52

"I gave IR the “wife test” last night, as I tend to do with all new material. She’s a huge skeptic, hates to be fooled, and is always trying to catch me out and cause some chaos. Knowing this going in, I intentionally structured things to lead her down the garden path a bit, and it went over with great success."

5) Sammy J.

"I had a great time with this today. Got to perform it about a dozen times. My performance wasn't as good as it will get, but it went over very well. I've found that with an effect like this, that can stand on it's own, getting out there will make the presentation grow to a higher level, while still producing powerful magic in the mean time. Let me tell you, when that solid block of steel slips out of the box, jaws drop."

6) Salby

"I tried it out at Tannen's and it received a great response."

7) saysold1

Here is a comment from a spectator at my Gym (the manager) who emailed me today - this is a young guy that pays a lot of attention to the WEIGHT of objects:

"Great trick - I was blown away. Appears to be impossible as the block is so heavy, it truly defies physics and logic. Thanks for the entertainment!"

8) emyers99

"Did this for a group of magicians last night and they loved it."

To be entered into the draw for a free "Anything Is Possible" bottle, all you have to do is make a post about your performance, in the real world, with Industrial Revelation. Fun!

Have a great time out there,

jamie
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1892 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I will perform it at the restaurant tomorrow night and let you know.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I will check in tomorrow night for sure Slyhand...got to hear how it went!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
For those who have QB2, have them sign only ONE side of the quarter first. Then do I R. After the reveal, have them sign the OPPOSITE side of the quarter then do the bend!

For mentalists: Use a card box with a slit for BCS then do a deck switch and do I R.

Does anyone feel much weight to have I R in the innner coat jacket pocket? Sure its hot weather but I still wear a jacket during my paid gigs.

Decomp
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1892 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I am going to use an old phone pouch I have laying around.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10637 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 21:23, Decomposed wrote:
For those who have QB2, have them sign only ONE side of the quarter first. Then do I R. After the reveal, have them sign the OPPOSITE side of the quarter then do the bend!

For mentalists: Use a card box with a slit for BCS then do a deck switch and do I R.

Does anyone feel much weight to have I R in the innner coat jacket pocket? Sure its hot weather but I still wear a jacket during my paid gigs.

Decomp

I don't know-

In thinking about it and the immaculately clean quality of QB2 is that the dirty work is done so *** fast, and that the quarter appears to be visible at all times so that there is no lapse or trace back of the method.

I would be a little concerned that combining these two great effects might take from the QB2 moment. Signing prior to performing IR does establish that the coin is the same coin I agree, but doing it before takes away a smidge of useful misdirection too.

I think you may be onto something good though.

Why not do IR with THEIR quarter - unsigned, and after the block appearance ask them to then sign and do QB2 so that there is still the continuity.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
"Why not do IR with THEIR quarter - unsigned, and after the block appearance ask them to then sign and do QB2 so that there is still the continuity. "

Excellent Brett, makes more sense, thanks.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Brett,
I've been kicking that idea around for about a week. Great minds think alike!

The issue for me is that I have been working on a plastic knife routine for IR that I think is stonger than the quarter idea, for me.

We will compare notes in October or November when I get back to Phoenix.
Sammy J. Teague
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Wow, plastic knives everywhere and more plentiful then quarters these days. I have a hard time finding people with quarters more and more for QB2. Thanks Sammy for bringing that up.

Can be presented as something to do with melting of the plastic when in contact with steel etc. etc.

Decomp
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
724 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
After frying a couple tonight with this I handed the block out. (I used the knife) the gentleman of the group tried to recreate the feat by taking the butter knife to it and scratched the surface of the block pretty bad right near the sweet spot. Does anybody have experience re-finishing their own blocks back to a uniform
striation pattern? Sand paper?

It's knit picky I know but it does draw quite a bit of attention.
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2011-07-29 01:34, illusioneer wrote:
After frying a couple tonight with this I handed the block out. (I used the knife) the gentleman of the group tried to recreate the feat by taking the butter knife to it and scratched the surface of the block pretty bad right near the sweet spot. Does anybody have experience re-finishing their own blocks back to a uniform
striation pattern? Sand paper?

It's knit picky I know but it does draw quite a bit of attention.

Boy, that is sad Illusioneer. I thought of the same thing earlier about what if someone wants to recreate the same thing you did and they will as you can see. Sure we can think audience management and all but then one person comes along and does some damage. Its steel so there must be a way to so some sanding since Ive seen items posted on the thread and Ive been through most of the pages.

Could someone post the technique so all owners can see? Its refinishing steel so no exposure.

Thanks.

Decomp
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..38..57..76..95..114..116~117~118 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.39 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL