We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..40~41~42~43~44..59..73..87..101..115..116~117~118 [Next]
Lou Cirulli
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of Lou Cirulli
Dangit! Guess I'll have to start working on a video for the film fest! Congrats Puggo!!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Thanks Sammy! I've already cut a few that way - all but one lined up nicely. The one that didn't? I must have been watching TV at the same time or something because I cut those slots way out of line!! I've tried some with the slot at the lower end of the box and that works real well.

Next up... I think I am going to make an adjustment to loosen mine up just a little. I can get it apart enough to reset it but a lot of times I have to pull so hard I pull it completely apart. Not aproblem if I'm alone but not good if I am trying to reset it unnoticed by others! I was hoping it would loosen up on its own with use but that doesn’t appear to be the case. Anyone else have to adjust theirs yet?

Thanks!

Jim
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2008 Posts

Profile of puggo
'Thunk'
Was that IR hitting the floor or my jaw?
Amazing, Jamie I'll PM you ASAP.

Now that I've calmed down (I just LOVE the AIP bottles, but Santa has not yet come through with the goods!), I think this thread has been great and a bit unusual... why..?

No 'bashing', no 'flaming', just some great people sharing ideas and experiences. Thanks all.

BTW I went out 'cold calling' today, as the residency I had last Christmas has gone for Country and Western theme nights this year (yes, really!). A couple of places wanted to see a quick effect, so I used IR and a quick card effect I use. IR really packed a punch - quick, easy to follow, easy to describe and utterly amazing.

Charlie
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-09-01 22:37, J-Mac wrote:
Someone mentioned completely opening up a card box to cut the slots in it. I have started to open up a few but getting that side seam apart cleanly is a bear! Opening up the bottom is easy enough but the sides are kicking my butt! Any particular method work well? Alternatively I will probably try to purchase some boxes if I can find them at a decent price. It's a shame I can't open my existing boxes cleanly, as I have dozens of them from old worn out decks.

Thanks!

Jim

Yeah, Sammy was right as that would be me. Like I previously mentioned I’m a tad anal retentive when it comes to precision. If you’re trying to take apart the boxes by hand you’ll simply end up ruining them. The trick is in using a Xacto knife to open up the sides and bottom. I normally use the rounded blade for that and I can completely open up a box very neatly in about 30 seconds. Just shove the blade into the sides, and or bottom and gently move the blade along in a rocking motion and you’re done! If you give it a try you’ll quickly see just how easy and pain free it is. One of the reasons I prefer to open the box is that when I glue it back together I do so with the block inside in the open position. That way I have a perfect fit with no need for the box to stretch. Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 00:51, J-Mac wrote:
Anyone else have to adjust theirs yet?

Thanks!

Jim

Not yet. I holds up great! Someone really pulled on it the other day and it didn't budge.
I like to always reset in private. If there's nowhere to hide, I have a drape for under my table to duck behind.
I carry enough material so that I don't need to reset anything for at least an hour.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I got mine this morning & it is a beauty!

I did the routine I have been working on(before I got it) & it passed the wife test with flying colors & a WTF!

I made a new box & put tape over the slits on the inside,I had problems with the bits getting caught.

I can not wait to try this out table hopping tonight,I know it is going to kill.

Mike
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 16:00, Michael Peterson wrote:

I made a new box & put tape over the slits on the inside,I had problems with the bits getting caught.

Mike

That's exactly the issue I was referring to and why I opt to cut out a coin type of slot rather than just a simple slit. By the way, the tape on the inside is a good idea if you just wish to use a simple slit cut on the box.
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
Yes, Yes. Brilliant!

P.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

I'm not using a coin,so the slit with the tape is working perfectly.

Mike
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10643 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 16:42, Michael Peterson wrote:
I'm not using a coin,so the slit with the tape is working perfectly.

Mike

Clever idea with the tape on the inside - gonna try it.

Never got over the hanging chads.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I haven't had any problem with bits getting caught so far. On the boxes I made up I cut some as slots as gaffed pointed out, and one I just cut slits as described by Watchmaker above. Again, no problems! As far as sound being an issue I haven't had any problems with sound. Actually this thing has been pretty near perfect in operation so far! I thought I was stretching my budget to buy the IR I have; now I am considering getting a second - at least! Like someone mentioned here, you never know when production may halt for any number of reasons. I want to make sure I'm set for a long, long time with my IR(s)!!

Thanks again Jamie!

Jim
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

I just did this at work & they were all clueless,I'm digging this Smile

Mike
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 17:26, J-Mac wrote:
I thought I was stretching my budget to buy the IR I have; now I am considering getting a second - at least! Like someone mentioned here, you never know when production may halt for any number of reasons. I want to make sure I'm set for a long, long time with my IR(s)!!

Thanks again Jamie!

Jim

I approached Jamie at Magic Live and told him that I liked IR so much that I was considering purchasing a back up. Jamie said "John Kennedy says that you don't really own a trick if you only have one!" I immediately bought a second one!

I may have shared this story before, not sure!

Jim, I have had to adjust mine several times. My biggest problem occured about two weeks after purchase. Suddenly mine was so tight that it was virtually impossible to reset.
I have posted on this before, but readjusting the block may take a bit of patience (10 to 20 minutes to get it just right), but is very simple, and no big deal at all.

Cheers!
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 19:27, Sammy J. wrote:

I approached Jamie at Magic Live and told him that I liked IR so much that I was considering purchasing a back up. Jamie said "John Kennedy says that you don't really own a trick if you only have one!" I immediately bought a second one!

Jim, I have had to adjust mine several times. My biggest problem occured about two weeks after purchase. Suddenly mine was so tight that it was virtually impossible to reset.
I have posted on this before, but readjusting the block may take a bit of patience (10 to 20 minutes to get it just right), but is very simple, and no big deal at all.

Cheers!
Sammy

Just make sure you keep all of the pins lubricated. Also, I really like it to be tight. That way there is almost no possibility of a spectator discovering the secret, and I'm not at all concerned about the reset time, and or effort. Also, (I'm sure I won't be giving anything away here as it wouldn't make any sense if you don't have it) don't use a screw driver but use a nail setter. Let's just say it's round and tapered which gives a more even spread and sooo much easier to do it properly.

I'm in no position to buy two which is why mine is still immaculate due to my keeping mine clean and well coated with a good wipe down with a silicone impregnated cloth , and at times a good coat of Rem Oil followed up with the aforementioned cloth. Simply amazing how living on a pension and numerous medical bills can force one to be more careful with expensive and cherished items! Smile
~Yogi Berra~

Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 20:10, gaffed wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 19:27, Sammy J. wrote:

Cheers!
Sammy

Just make sure you keep all of the pins lubricated. Also, I really like it to be tight. That way there is almost no possibility of a spectator discovering the secret, and I'm not at all concerned about the reset time, and or effort.

Phil, thanks for the suggestions on keeping the back-up pristine. I did wipe everything down with the silicone cloth, but will keep an eye on things.

When I mention that mine was too tight, I mean I was actually bruising my thumbs, fingers and palms when resetting. It would take 5 -10 minutes to get it into position for fine tuning the reset. For me, that was too tight. It is now working perfectly. I have found that once in a while I need to "tweak" the fit to my liking. I have probably executed the "move" a thousand times, which could explain why I have had to make a minor adjustment from time to time.

I also like it firm, but after over 100 performances, have not had anyone come close to even trying the reset move!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 20:10, gaffed wrote:

Just make sure you keep all of the pins lubricated. Also, I really like it to be tight. That way there is almost no possibility of a spectator discovering the secret, and I'm not at all concerned about the reset time, and or effort. Also, (I'm sure I won't be giving anything away here as it wouldn't make any sense if you don't have it) don't use a screw driver but use a nail setter. Let's just say it's round and tapered which gives a more even spread and sooo much easier to do it properly.

Using a nail setter to adjust it is a great idea. It was a little difficult to adjust using the screwdriver.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-09-02 22:21, sabitu wrote:

Using a nail setter to adjust it is a great idea. It was a little difficult to adjust using the screwdriver.

If you don't have, or wish to purchase a nail setter a Phillips screwdriver (one of the smaller ones) will also do nicely in lieu of a regular one. Personally, I would stay away from and never use regualr screwdriver.
~Yogi Berra~

Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1174 Posts

Profile of Salby
I've used Olive Oil...

But now (still over a week of use), it's a wee bit easy to reset.

Any idea to make it tight again? I've wiped off any excess oil from pegs and wells with cloth....

Still a bit too easy to reset.

2 spectators found out the mechanism because of this. The slightest hairline exposes it all.

Many of the posts are helping to make it easier to reset....

Any thought any making it tighter????
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1298 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
For the slit I can recommend using a nail file.
You can filing away the overlapping pieces of cardboard
from inside of the box. worked great for me
Maynard
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Maynard
Congrats Puggo, well done.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..40~41~42~43~44..59..73..87..101..115..116~117~118 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL