We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12..21..30..39..47~48~49~50~51..65..78..91..104..116~117~118 [Next]
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Don't know that for sure yet.
Another possibility is to have a deck appear AFTER the IR comes out.
We will have to see the mechanics in person to be sure there's no interference, etc.

An intriguing thought though.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 18:11, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 17:16, rockwall wrote:
Garrett Thomas has a great routine using the old matchbox penetration that turns it more into magic than a puzzle. He performs the match box penetration than puts it back together and leaves it on the table. Next he does a card to impossible location. The location? The matchbox that used to have the brass block in it now has the chosen playing card.

I've always loved that routine and was trying to think of a similar progression with IR. What I'm thinking, (although haven't tried it yet) is to take out a deck of cards and have the spec select one. While they are signing it, do a deck switch with IR. Next, take their signed card, fold it in half and penetrate the deck that they just chose their card from with the folded card. Finally give them IR to open up to see that it no longer has in it the deck of cards but now a solid block of steel. I might then move to Warp One by David Ren Jenkins using thier signed card having 'prepared' the card while they were looking at IR.

Mike

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=8000

I'd rather purchase it from Penguin, if I were interested, or ANY place for that matter rather than from Hank Lee. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from Hank Lee if he were the last magic dealer on earth!
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Don’t sugar coat it, Phil!! Smile

Jim
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10636 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 23:57, gaffed wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 18:11, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 17:16, rockwall wrote:
Garrett Thomas has a great routine using the old matchbox penetration that turns it more into magic than a puzzle. He performs the match box penetration than puts it back together and leaves it on the table. Next he does a card to impossible location. The location? The matchbox that used to have the brass block in it now has the chosen playing card.

I've always loved that routine and was trying to think of a similar progression with IR. What I'm thinking, (although haven't tried it yet) is to take out a deck of cards and have the spec select one. While they are signing it, do a deck switch with IR. Next, take their signed card, fold it in half and penetrate the deck that they just chose their card from with the folded card. Finally give them IR to open up to see that it no longer has in it the deck of cards but now a solid block of steel. I might then move to Warp One by David Ren Jenkins using thier signed card having 'prepared' the card while they were looking at IR.

Mike

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=8000

I'd rather purchase it from Penguin, if I were interested, or ANY place for that matter rather than from Hank Lee. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from Hank Lee if he were the last magic dealer on earth!

You don't have to convince me baby - I'm with you lol!!!

I just put that link up as it wa sthe first one Google pulled. I NEVER buy from Hank - used to 10-15 years ago, but like many he disappointed. I'm a Penguin boy all the way too.

Now back to our regularly scheduled metal session Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 00:00, J-Mac wrote:
Don’t sugar coat it, Phil!! Smile

Jim

This ‘ol guy doesn’t seem to have any sugar coating left. lol

Quote:
On 2011-09-13 00:09, saysold1 wrote:

You don't have to convince me baby - I'm with you lol!!!

I just put that link up as it wa sthe first one Google pulled. I NEVER buy from Hank - used to 10-15 years ago, but like many he disappointed. I'm a Penguin boy all the way too.

Now back to our regularly scheduled metal session Smile

Yep, I assumed that is why you gave that link. It’s just that whenever I hear the name Hank Lee mentioned the hair raises up on the back of my neck! By all means let’s get back to the heavy metal session. Smile
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I'm hoping to get a video shot next week Tuesday or Wednesday.
Something a little different for IR, not way out, but just a different slant on things.

I'll post when it's ready

Steve
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1174 Posts

Profile of Salby
Any thoughts combining IR with the Pass Trainer??:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S12203
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10636 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 13:35, steveline wrote:
I'm hoping to get a video shot next week Tuesday or Wednesday.
Something a little different for IR, not way out, but just a different slant on things.

I'll post when it's ready

Steve

We would expect nothing less from you Steve!

Look forward to it - Does it involve your 2 week yearly visit to the camp? Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Unfortunately not saysold (or maybe fortunately for you) who wants to see a 49 year old naked magician?

steve
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 23:57, gaffed wrote:

I agree.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Performed for this for my kids, as they know I have been exercising.

Showed them what I have been working up to... just did the 5k, but now this!!!

They are 6 and 9. They have often given me the eye roll in the best way, as in, "Daddy, you are always joking."

Then I opened up the box, and slid out the steel block.

Priceless.

RevJohn
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
I love hearing performance stories! Thanks guys!

Quote:
On 2011-09-12 01:50, Doug McKenzie wrote:
I would have posted this sooner, but I have been too busy showing people my IR ;-)

This prop is a work of art. As usual, Jamie has put 110% into this. It is made to perfection and is a real fooler. I have lots of ideas brewing and have been experimenting with all of them to great success.

I do have one complaint tho:

The packaging is too nice! The prop comes with a quarter melted to the box with wax so that you don't have to get your own and can experience instant satisfaction. In my case, I didn't want to ruin the packaging by removing the quarter and thus had to find my own. Maybe you can include a loose quarter too Jamie .... just a suggestion ;-)

The best thing about this effect is the multiple stage reaction:
1. When you hand the spectator the box, they immediately feel the weight and react
2. When they discover the steel block instead of a deck, they react
3, When they see the block is completely solid, they react.

Also ... was at brunch last Sunday with some name magicians (I won't drop them for their own protection). Lets just say that the waitress said this was her favorite effect after seeing all of the fancy sleight of hand from said "name magicians"

Just sayin ....

And Doug, wow. Coming from someone in your position (I wonder if people know who you are and how much magic you see, lol) this absolutely makes my day. Thank you so much!!

You guys are awesome!

~jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2356 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Forgive me if this was already covered but you can't reverse it can you? Show the block, place it in and then push through?
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Nope.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2011-09-14 21:25, MagicBrent wrote:
Forgive me if this was already covered but you can't reverse it can you? Show the block, place it in and then push through?

I think that someone could figure out a handling.

Mike
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Quote:
On 2011-09-14 21:25, MagicBrent wrote:

Why would you tip the fact that there's a solid block of steel in the card box (which is the effect) before the effect even begins?

It makes no sense from a routining point of view.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10636 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I agree - why spoil the surprise ending? Makes no sense.

The penetrations are good, sure - the ending and appearance is the real shocker.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Would definitely have to agree on that. The entire element of surprise at the end would be eliminated. Handling the box as if it had nothing in it, and or possibly a deck of cards and then dropping that amazingly heavy box in the spectators hand! Without that, in my opinion, you've lost a good portion of the effect.
~Yogi Berra~

scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
917 Posts

Profile of scott0819
It would also tip the fact that there MUST be something sketchy with the steel block. That is the only logical explanation left if you show the block beforehand.
***, this thing is going to hit 1000 posts isn't it?
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
917 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Really? I can't say dam on here? Ok, I meant darn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Industrial Revelation" from Jamie D. Grant (56 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12..21..30..39..47~48~49~50~51..65..78..91..104..116~117~118 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL