The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Torn and Restored Card credit? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Hey guys,

I was just wondering, does anyone know who the first person was to use a two cards stuck together with adhesive solely for the purpose of a torn and restored?

I learned it from John Mendoza, but I am unsure if he was the first.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject? Thanks!

Jeff
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I found a source from 1910: "The Three Powers" from Hofzinser's Card Conjuring. It was translated to English in 1931, but the original German book was published in 1910. From the description in the book, it's very difficult to understand what it supposed to occur, but based on what I comprehended and the illustrations, it certainly seems that this is an early, accurate source.

If anyone knows anything that predates this, please inform me!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-06-18 23:39, jprace wrote:
I found a source from 1910: "The Three Powers" from Hofzinser's Card Conjuring. It was translated to English in 1931, but the original German book was published in 1910. From the description in the book, it's very difficult to understand what it supposed to occur, but based on what I comprehended and the illustrations, it certainly seems that this is an early, accurate source.

If anyone knows anything that predates this, please inform me!

I too believe that this is the earliest reference I have seen on the work. It is kind of fuzzy as far as clarity goes, but I found that if you re-read it, quite a few times (Okay, a lot...) it really does get easier to understand. At least it did for me.

If I am not mistaken, the modern craze of T&R card effect was really ignited by Guy Hollingworth. JC Wagner also contributed a great deal to it. Just so I am not misunderstood here: By the words "modern craze" I do not mean they are originators of the plot, but as far as I am aware, the plot was, shall we say, re-awakened, by them.

Previous to Hollingworth on Worlds Greatest Magic II and JC Wagner doing it in his lectures around the same time, I hardly saw anyone doing this effect. After the fact, everyone was doing it. Just my observation of what is a great, great effect!
JackManfred
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of JackManfred
This is so much more powerful than a torn and restored card. There's inherent value in the image of restoring a credit card, but a playing card seems pointless to me.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
968 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Jack,
If you have ever had a spectator pick a card at random ask them to sign the face then directly in front of their very eyes... torn it slowly and cleanly into 4 separate and distinct pieces then visibly restored it and watched the look of sheer amazement on the spectators face I'm not so sure you would find it 'pointless'. From that point of view all magic is 'pointless' ACR, vanishing coins etc
The history going back over 100 years tells me and other people that just maybe this effect is a winner.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2011-07-24 21:09, JackManfred wrote:
This is so much more powerful than a torn and restored card. There's inherent value in the image of restoring a credit card, but a playing card seems pointless to me.

No, a freely selected signed card which is seen to be torn and then restored visibly is pretty strong magic.
Destroyed and restored credit cards have been around a while (Roy Johnson's books of the eighties is one source)but more suitable for stand up performance or more formal close up. Borrowing and destroying a credit card as an impromptu close up effect is more than likely an opportunity to get a punch in the face before you can restore it in this economy.:0 Smile
David P
View Profile
New user
Boston via Michigan
82 Posts

Profile of David P
I was at Diamond's Magic in Peabody, MA last night for Wayne Houchin's lecture. He showed a torn and restored card - no adhesives.
Talk about strong magic! It was devious and convincing. All actions had a reason. All four pieces went back together and were handed out - a souvenir. I was impressed because here was a method that someone new to magic (like myself) could learn and use.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I love how some people constantly need "MEANING" with a magic trick. In my opinion this has really gone too far in the last 10 years or so. Not everything needs meaning, sometimes it's just something cool to see. A beautiful retention vanish doesn't need to represent the stars aligning, or a little girl loosing her kitty, or anything else. Sometimes, it's just a coin disappearing. But if you want meaning in your torn and restored card, it shouldn't be THAT difficult to develop a script. Darwin Ortiz has an excellent version in one of his books.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2011-07-25 16:07, pepka wrote:
I love how some people constantly need "MEANING" with a magic trick. In my opinion this has really gone too far in the last 10 years or so. Not everything needs meaning, sometimes it's just something cool to see. A beautiful retention vanish doesn't need to represent the stars aligning, or a little girl loosing her kitty, or anything else. Sometimes, it's just a coin disappearing. But if you want meaning in your torn and restored card, it shouldn't be THAT difficult to develop a script. Darwin Ortiz has an excellent version in one of his books.

I'll second that!! Smile
JackManfred
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of JackManfred
Wonderful responses. I didn't mean to suggest it doesn't have a rich history. Only that it doesn't fit my model of magic. And ultimately, it comes down to taste. I'm constantly reminded of this quote by Glenn Gould - "I believe that the only excuse we have for being musicians and for making music in any fashion is to make it differently, to perform it differently, to establish the music’s difference vis a vis our own difference."

By the way, I read this is the last day for the CRAZY vanishing inc giveaway. http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/blog/ne......iveaway/
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1037 Posts

Profile of bsears
The funny thing is that when most laypeople see a good t/r they think that there must be adhesives involved. (letting them examine the card dispels this and makes for a minor miracle). If adhesives can be used, and the card given away, that's new to me.
blackpine0008
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of blackpine0008
In 1999 by Jay Sankey you can find a T&R with a credit card
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." Joseph Dunninger
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Torn and Restored Card credit? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL