The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring On Brandy Snifter (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Anyone on here have/use the Ring On Brandy Snifter effect? If not that, has anyone seen it performed? For reference, this is the version carried by Hank Lee, which also happens to be the only place I have ever seen to offer it.

It sounds like a killer routine and is obviously better suited to shows in a cabaret-setting, which I do plenty of. I really just wonder how well it is made, how well it plays and whether it would be worth purchasing.

Any suggestions/feedback/comments/reviews are welcome and appreciated!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The original, which I created can be seen at http://www.petebiro.com Click on Videos and scroll down to see Fred Kaps perform it. If you can find the Genii issue with my photo on the cover, it is fully explained there, and there is little to buy, you can make it up yourself. I believe Steve Cohen in NY has used it as well. I should know which issue it is, but my memory for thinks like dates is awful. I'll try to find it and get back with the Date.

Posted: Jun 20, 2011 12:56am
This is the text... which should be enough.

The Ring on Wineglass

As created by Pete Biro, performed by Fred Kaps

When Fred Kaps came to Northern California, in 1970, do a series of shows for the Dutch Clubs in the area, I was working on various ideas with the Linking Finger Rings and revealed to Kaps an effect I had created, but had yet to perform. When I came up with this concept I immediately thought of Kaps because whenever he did anything he did it better than anyone else, and I felt, at the time, he was the only person that could pull this off the way I felt it should be done.

When I told him about my premise, Kaps went crazy. So much did he like it, he featured it two times (that I know of) on television specials. One on the FRED KAPS MAGIC SHOW, produced by John Fisher for the BBC, with technical advisor Robert Swadling.

The way I described my idea to Fred was this. I said, “Fred, I have worked out a way to find a vanished, borrowed ring on the stem of a beautiful crystal champagne glass. And to give the ring back you have to break the glass. The ring, I explained, is ungimmicked, borrowed in fact.”

When I said this, it was all over. Fred answered, “You can do this?”

The tone in his voice was incredible. It was like I had just told him I knew the secret to walking on water. I had to be honest and tell him that I had not actually done it, but that the handling was worked out and that I was waiting to see him personally to discuss it.

He couldn’t wait to hear the explanation.

I told him that the lead in was not critical, the ring vanish could be done in any way, but the part that I had to do a little more work on was how to put the glass back together after the ring was slipped on the stem. I told him he would have to find the right shaped glass, go to a glass repair man (they are often found at antique glass shows) and have the stems cut off at a decorative knob or joint. Then you would have to rig a holder in your close up case, or behind a bar (if you are working behind one) that would hold the base and the top of the glass in alignment. You slip the ring onto the stem, hit it with a drop of CRAZY GLUE, and then push the two parts of the glass together.

If you saw Fred Kaps do this routine on one of the aforementioned TV specials, you saw real magic.

On the BBC special he had a beautifully designed bar, one like you would find in a modern home, not a commercial public bar. Fred began with two spectators seated at either end. In his opening sequence he borrowed the ring, tied it onto a length of cord (very convincing handling—from Scotty York) and then he slipped a ring box over the ring while it hung on the cord in full view. The ends of the cord were held by the two spectators.

To conclude, Fred removed the box, leaving the rope sans ring, and handed the box to the woman on his left. He asked her to open the box. Expecting to see the ring in the box, thinking the trick was getting the ring off the rope, she showed more than just a bit of shock when the ring was not there.

Kaps the consummate actor, acted like something had gone wrong, and he looked around for the ring to no avail.

There was, however, a small folded piece of paper in the ring box. Fred asked her to open the paper. It read, “Don’t forget the drinks.”

(Note: Earlier in the show he offered to pour each of them a drink, but forgot to once he got into the magic).

After the reading of the note, Kaps poured a glass of Sherry for the woman, and then started to set an empty glass in front of the gentleman. Bringing out a decanter, Kaps said, “You wanted, what, Port?” Before he started to pour, he looked at the glass and the man’s ring was seen around the stem. To return the ring Kaps brought out a small hammer, put a serviette over the glass and struck it with the hammer, breaking the stem. He then returned the ring to the gentleman he had borrowed it from.

Words at my disposal can’t describe the effect this had on the couple, and the TV audience.

The way Kaps did this for his special was simple. He had English magician Bob Swadling as an assistant, who was hidden under the bar. Kaps dropped the ring through a trap in the bar to Swadling who put it onto the stem of the glass and assembled the pieces for Fred to finish the routine.

There was one problem to solve before he could do this. He needed to have the glasses made. The first prototypes Kaps got were made for him by Scotty York. Later, Frans. Biemans, a Dutch magician friend of Kaps told him he knew a man that owned a glass factory in Holland who could make the glasses.

At Phillipe Phialho’s home in the South of France, Kaps talked to Trevor Lewis about this, and Lewis later discussed this with Biemens, and a year later at a convention Biemans gave Lewis one bowl and two stems. Lewis kept the pieces safely locked away as felt they were really to precious to use.

Lewis went on to explain that later Biemans gave him an additional bowl and a few extra stems. One complete unit will be donated to the Magic Circle for their museum.

In a letter I received from Kaps, dated 8 August 1978, Kaps mentioned taping another special and he used a glass given to him by Biemans.

It should be noted here that Paul Gaertner’s award-winning ring found on an hourglass was inspired by the Ring on Wineglass following Kaps’ TV special. In addition, Bruce Kalvar has marketed a similar effect using Brandy Snifter and a different approach, and another magician also marketed a copy of Kalvar’s routine, but with a much taller glass.

Pete Biro’s One Man Ring on Wineglass

Following Kalvar, and others, putting the effect on the market, I was a little miffed. But, I can’t blame anyone really, I should have marketed, or published it myself to get proper credit for the concept. I had written much of the above for a planned book, but it had not seen print.

So, what I decided was this. How do I get my credit, and how do I get my trick back?

The answer? Improve it.

Here is what I have developed. It can be done as I will describe it, if, and I emphasize “IF” if you are a really good performer and have the chops, and guts it takes to do the very bold, necessary moves.

The preparation.

Go to a shop that sells wine glasses. Get cheap, short-stemmed Brandy Snifters. Buy half a dozen so you can have enough to make the gimmicks and practice with.

Take a small file and nick the stem about half way down. Then cover this with a cloth and tap it at the file mark with a hammer, breaking the glass into two pieces. (See the photos). The break does not have to be square, just clean.

From a hardware store buy some clear neoprene hosing, the diameter that will just fit, snugly, over the stem of the glass. Cut this to the length shown in the accompanying photo.

Stick the stem and glass together, held together by the tubing. (This was Kalvar’s idea, but he had you go under the table, or out of sight with the glass to do the work).

Now, what I wanted to have was a stand-up routine, no going south, no hiding the glass, nothing phony, nothing covered.

Assemble the gimmicked glass and hold it by the stem in your right hand. Walk into the audience and borrow two men’s wedding bands. Don’t borrow women’s rings as you don’t want any trouble losing a stone, or doing any damage. Keep them to simple men’s wedding bands.

As you borrow them have them dropped into the glass (the gimmick is hidden by your right hand holding the glass).

Swirl the rings in the glass as you walk back to your working position. At this time you take the upper half of the glass away in your left hand, and edge palm (see photo) the base with the stem sticking up. (This is where skill and handling comes in).

While you are walking, you pour the rings from the bowl into your right hand onto the stem (which is hidden in your hand and it should just appear as if you are pouring the rings into your empty hand).

Now you bring the base up to the stem and stick them back together.

Act as if you are sticking the rings onto the stem. Once everything is back together you grip the glass from above and show the rings on the stem. The reason to use two rings is to hide the gimmick. See the photo to show you how the rings are displayed, and how each ring hides an end of the tubing.

Sell this. Sell it big time.

Now, you place the glass on its side on a tray, cover it with a handkerchief and bring out a small hammer and break the glass. Really break it for the best effect. And then lift the handkerchief and remove the two borrowed rings and return them to the loanees.

Alternate Handling for a No Assistant Variation

Steve Cohen, “The Millionaire’s Magician,” called from New York May 15 to discuss handling for this effect. He suggested what I think makes this a really practical ONE MAN handling. It is so simple I think this is what I will use myself.

Prepare a silk handkerchief (I like Paisley designs) with a cheap ring hanging from the center of the handkerchief on a thread. Have this on the inside as you fold the handkerchief and place it into your jacket’s breast pocket (or have it on a table, etc.)
The gimmicked glass is on your table behind something or out of sight inside the table, however your working conditions allow you to have the glass handy, but not seen.

Ask to borrow a ring from a gentleman. “A unique wedding band would be fine,” you say. Have him take the ring off, take it in your right hand, examine it, etc. Bring out the handkerchief. Now you to the old dodge of apparently placing the ring under the handkerchief and having the spectator “hold” the ring through the cloth.

What you actually do is let them hold the duplicate through the cloth while you palm out the borrowed ring and bring out the wineglass. Keep the split section hidden by holding it by the stem.

With both hands you bring the glass under the handkerchief, pull off the base, put the ring onto the stem, then push the base back onto the bowl. You now hold the glass under the handkerchief and ask the spectator to let go of the ring, to “Drop it into the glass, where something UNUSUAL will happen.”

They hear the ring drop into the glass.

Pause. Lift the handkerchief away and show the glass does not contain the ring. It has vanished. You hold the glass so the ring is not visible at this point. Put the handkerchief away.

“Actually,” you say, “It really hasn’t vanished… look… it’s here on the stem of the glass.” Show the ring, ask him to identify it, etc.

You say, “The only way to release your ring is to break the glass.” You now can put the glass into a paper bag, or cover it with a napkin, whatever fits your routine, as you bring out a mallet and give the glass a whack separating the two pieces. You could have some broken pieces in the bag, dump all out onto a tray and then carefully pick the ring up and have the spectator identify it and thank him for his help. When you finish make sure to ask, “Is your ring in the same condition as it was when you gave it to me?”

Take your well-earned applause.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Wow! Thank you very much Pete! I had no idea you originated this effect, but now that I do, I know why I have heard so much praise for an effect like this! I will still seek out the Genii issue for this as well. Thanks for the reference!

Posted: Jun 20, 2011 11:32am
I have gotten all the items I need to try this out so I will let you know how it goes. I really like that idea at the end about using the handkerchief to do all the "dirty work" with/under. I loved that Fred Kaps video on your site!

Since you had mentioned it in your post and I have always enjoyed watching it, do you know if Paul still offers his Ring on Hourglass effect?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I don't think Paul EVER marketed it. It was in his contest-winning act.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-06-20 13:00, Pete Biro wrote:
I don't think Paul EVER marketed it. It was in his contest-winning act.

That is what I wondered because I remember seeing him perform it twice, being very entertained by it and I just never asked him about it.

That said, I have to say that after following your directions exactly (and not getting the filing just right on about 4 glass stems, out of 15) I have had great success with this effect and your suggested handlings for one person. I found a local dollar store that sells various styles of wine glasses, spirit glasses and brandy snifters for $1 each, so I picked up a case. I specifically bought what they called "mini" wine glasses, which I can tell you are actually ice wine glasses.

With a glass that size, I had no trouble using the No Ring Ring Hank from Lynetta Welch at Fabric Manipulation to accomplish the rest of the effect. It is absolutely beautiful! I am going to try playing around by mixing the methods up a bit to see what other handlings I can come up with. I will let you know what else I come up with, for what it is worth.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Paul Gertnter's Ring on Hour glass is written up in Steel and Silver. David Copperfield also did a version of the Ring on Hour glass on one of his early T.V. specials.
MagicOfDamon
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of MagicOfDamon
On DCs ring on hour glass can anyone tell me the book or video where I can find the vanish routine where he puts the ring on the ribbon then places it inside a ring box then pulls on the ribbon and it comes out then opens the ring box to show the ring is not inside?

Posted: Sep 9, 2011 5:03am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2-MgpOEFkw

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find this trick or method?

I have the ring on brandy snifer trick but this one appears to be a genuine glass.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 05:03, MagicOfDamon wrote:

I have the ring on brandy snifer trick but this one appears to be a genuine glass.

I really recommend the version by Pete Biro, but if you are looking for this particular version, you might look for Dynamo on this forum and ask him, as I believe he is a member here.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
That's too easy. Just use a Himber Ring and a stooge. Nice looking stooge!

Posted: Sep 9, 2011 12:10pm
Dean Dill and I are working on a new and super simple borrowed ring effect... STAY TOONED...
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
'Dynamo' & 'Stooge'.......well there's two words that you don't see used together very often! Opinions vary but for many in the UK, the guy is now being perceived as a bit of a Smile (check out some of the layman's TV forums).

Anyway Pete - I didn't know that you were the originator of this marvellous effect. Reading about it's history is truly fascinating.

In 1978, I was just 14yo and absolutely crazy about magic. Like many of us, I wanted everything at once; a silent act, a comedy act, to learn mind reading, etc. However, it was this very trick, performed by Fred Kaps, that confirmed to me that my first love was close-up magic.

I can remember watching this programme sitting in my parents living room (we only had one tele back then - and certainly no video recorder!) - it's one of those moments of absolute magic that never seem to age over the years and remains so fresh in your memory, you remember it as if you'd seen it yesterday. Maybe it's because when you see an effect that's so powerful, and creates such an unbelievable impression of disbelief, you have to re-live it in your mind over and over again.

If memory serves me right, there was a 3 part series on the BBC featuring Fred Kaps, Randi and then Ricky Jay? However, I didn't realise, watching Fred Kaps for the very first time (on this programme), that I was indeed watching a man who, in my opinion as well, is the absolute greatest magician to have ever walked this planet.

Pete - you didn't only invent a wonderful trick, but you put it in the hands of the true Master to deliver. I can't thank you enough mate.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Merc Man: Thanks so much... the key here is "put it in the hands of the true master". Yes, that is important. When Kaps was alive I would send him ideas all the time, because I knew he would make it magic.
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
Rick Johnsson also marketed a ring on stem glass.
TAJ
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of TAJ
Kaps is my favorite magician. His magic was so clean and beautiful.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have put together an illustrated PDF file on the ring on wineglass stem, with a "history" on linking finger rings. Hopefully in a day or two I will have it available on http://www.pete-biro.com
night
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of night
I love this effect and I have Mr. Biro's PDF file on this. I loved the history and the photos help a lot in the workings. It is well worth it. I can not wait to add this to my show! You can also see Fred Kaps doing the effect on his website. Thank you so much Mr. Biro!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You are welcome... I am just getting organized to put downloadable pdfs on my new web site... stay tooned.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Thank you for sharing this wonderful story and method. The Kapps video was a lesson in economy. I think the "magician under the table" method was particularly practical and even if the participants caught a glimpse of him moving around down there he would just be another stage hand dealing with some wiring issues to them.

In reading about the version where the ring is vanished from inside the glass and found around the stem I had an interesting thought. It was said that the ring vanished from inside the glass and was found around the stem.

I think this could be presented a little differently. The ring is placed in various bar glass and penetrates the bottom. The magician mentions several times that there are some glasses that must never be used for this trick. In the end the magician senses that the audience wants to know why you never do this with some glasses and the magician demonstrates that if you do it with a brandy snifter it penetrates the bottom but gets stuck on the stem and the glass must be broken.

I can picture the magician holding the brandy snifter so that the real ring is on the stem but concealed behind his fingers. As he mimes dropping the ring in the top he releases the ring and it clangs onto the base.

I think that would be quite a moment. Admittedly there is still a lot to work out.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I look forward to the PDF from Pete on this wonderful effect. I really love his work on this, and as I have only been practicing this since it was posted back in June, I have not performed it yet for anyone. I really like the way this one works and I cannot wait to finish my handling on it so I can put it to use in my parlor show. I also recently landed a regular bar magic gig that I want to use it in as well.

Once again Pete, thank you for your great and kind generosity. The things you put out are absolutely marvelous!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-09-11 20:21, Colonel Clark wrote:
Rick Johnsson also marketed a ring on stem glass.

I don't think this is correct, Rick Johnsson created the padlock on champayne glass. It was published in the Linking Ring Magazine and then Hank Lee marketed it.
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 04:56, MagicOfDamon wrote:
On DCs ring on hour glass can anyone tell me the book or video where I can find the vanish routine where he puts the ring on the ribbon then places it inside a ring box then pulls on the ribbon and it comes out then opens the ring box to show the ring is not inside?

This effect was never published in a book, magazine or on video to my knowledge. The ring vanish was described in the instructions with a ring transportation effect from the original Tannen Magic Shop. A ring put in a ring box traveled from the box to the end of a tassel attached to a oriental letter opener held by the magician.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-09-14 12:38, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-09 04:56, MagicOfDamon wrote:

This effect was never published in a book, magazine or on video to my knowledge. The ring vanish was described in the instructions with a ring transportation effect from the original Tannen Magic Shop. A ring put in a ring box traveled from the box to the end of a tassel attached to a oriental letter opener held by the magician.

I remember that one!

Side note: There are many different ways in which that particular vanish can be done/accomplished, both with various types of props and without, some that would fit this effect better than others.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ring On Brandy Snifter (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL