The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Which Aronson book? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I use Mnemonica as my memorized deck and there are a lot of geat effects in Mnemonica, some stack-specific, some not; naturally, the case would be the same with Simon Aronson's books. To those who have them, which Simon Aronson book has the most memorized deck magic that is not specific to his stack, or is it fairly even across them all?

Thanks
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I only have bound to please, and in that most of the tricks can be done with any stack. Of the mem deck tricks in that book my favorites are the variation of shuffle board that adds two selections to the mix, and Histed Heisted, which is a fantastic multiple "thought of" card revelation (up to ten spectators)
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Get all of his books! Period.
I'm serious about it, with time you'll read them over and over again and every time you learn something new! You may currently be "in mem deck work" but his other stuff is awesome as well. Do yourself a favor (hey, it's Father's Day anyway) and follow my advice.... Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Zedd
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
270 Posts

Profile of Zedd
Yes - get them ALL!!!! You'll not be disappointed!!

Best regards,

Zedd
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Josh, yes they are all excellent. Let me provide a few amplifying remarks about the various Aronson books:

• Bound to Please - Contains an excellent cross-section of mem deck effects and as alluded above most of them are not stack dependent.
  • Simply Simon - This book contains a lot of both mem and non-mem deck effects. The mem deck effects that are in the book are all excellent and I believe all of them are stack independent
  • Try the Impossible - This book is really an IN-DEPTH look at the UnDo Influence Principle (not a mem deck related idea) and 25 different mem deck effects. These are all stack dependent and require the Aronson stack to use. There are also a few miscellaneous effects in there as well.
  • The Aronson Approach - I do not have this book and have never read it.

Agree with the above statements you should get them all. Hopefully this list might help you prioritize which one to get first, second, etc. Good luck.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Well Steven, I will fill in the gap with regard to The Aronson Approach Smile

This book is a nice collection Aronson effects ranging from completely impromptu stuff like Under Her Spell (a GREAT effect BTW), to stacks, gaffed effects, mem deck work, and perhaps the BEST part of the book: the complete manuscript of the VERY powerful "Simon-Eyes." The effect for this is too long to post here. All I can say is that this routine is incredibly powerful and appears like genuine mindreading with nothing but a pack of cards and two spectators.

A note about Simon Aronson's writing I believe is appropriate here: Mr. Aronson's prose is not brief. In fact, his descriptions are EXTREMELY detailed. This is a very GOOD thing as he prepares you for ANY contingencies that might arise in the effect. He frequently offers alternate handlings/approaches for a given effect and believe me, the man worries an effect to death - another GOOD thing.

IMHO you simply CANNOT go wrong with ANY Simon Aronson book unless you hate to read Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
So true, Aronson has two mentalism routines in his books that both are as close to the real thing as possible (and -in that regard- surpass current 'thought reading' productions that do claim the same thing! Smile).

Histed Heisted and Simon's Eyes are both worth the submission of the books alone!

(As a sidenote, Jan Forster once showed how it's possible to adapt Simon Eyes to a more streamlined level for anyone finding the original routine too long and time consuming.)

Are you still listening...?
Or already on your way to the bookstore...?
:)
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone, it was very helpful. It looks like I really can't go wrong with any of his books; I have to be careful, though, I need to get caught up on all of the books that I already have!

These will definitely go on the short list. Smile

Edit.

I do have Michael Close's Workers series, and the effect "Myopia" is in volume 5, which, he says, is based off of "Simon's Eyes." It really does seem like a powerful effect, and one that I've not tried out yet, maybe some day...for those with both, how does Michael's handling differ from Simon's original?
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Josh, Mike actually pretty good sums up in the foreword to Myopia what the main differences are - the long dealing is omitted. Myopia has the chance of producing two No's in the worst case which isn't the case in the original, IIRC.
If you have Barrie Richardson's Act Two, you might want to check his Final Ecstasy as well - another brilliant approach to the same basic idea which employs a little sleight of hand but is worth considering as well.

But since we were talking about Aronson's books after all - I stand by my point that's it's always a good idea to start at the origins and then explore the variations. Besides, you'll learn a lot from Simon (Shuffle Bored, for example...)
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
JCheng
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of JCheng
I'm also interested in buying one Simon Aronson's book, but I don't know which one to get first. I already know the mnemonica stack, so which one is recommend for me to read first? and please don't say "get them all." I just want to know which one to START first.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-07-05 21:20, JCheng wrote:
I'm also interested in buying one Simon Aronson's book, but I don't know which one to get first. I already know the mnemonica stack, so which one is recommend for me to read first? and please don't say "get them all." I just want to know which one to START first.

JCheng,

Really any one of them would be a great choice. But, if pressed, I would say start with Try the Impossible. And when you get the book learn Prior Commitment which is the very first effect in the book. I really think you will like it Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Since JCheng is looking for independent memdeck stuff, I would say Try the Impossible is not the first Aronson book to try. It has wonderful non-mem deck routines, but the mem-deck stuff, except for Twice as Hard, is Aronson dependent.

I would start with Simply Simon if you already know a memdeck. The memdeck stuff there is not Aronson dependent and is killer.
JCheng
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of JCheng
Thank you for your answers.
I'm also curious why you recommend Simply Simon to read first, instead of Bound to Please or the Aronson Approach.

Thank you.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
They're all terrific--but since you said only one, and if you're not looking to learn a new stack, and if your main motivation for buying an Aronson book is for the stack effects, then I would pick Simply Simon as having the strongest memdeck routines. It's just personal preference. They are all great.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
For those that have not yet memorized a stack, Bound to Please is the logical first book since Simon teaches you how to do that. And, it has some great mem-deck effects. If you find that you enjoy doing mem-deck magic, you will ultimately want to have all of the books. So, if you can afford to, just jump in and get them all. Then start reading and studying and pick just a few tricks that you really like and work hard on them.

If money is a problem, I have quite a few mem-deck routines on my web site at no cost. See the link below.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of mrehula
Having all of Aronson's books, I too find it difficult to recommend one over another. I use routines from Try the Impossible more than any other, but I do so primarily because they're EASY! But all of the other books contain excellent -- and essential -- examinations of the stack. It's impossible to know what you will resonate with the most. Thus the recommendation to get everything!

My wish (only one among many!) is that ALL of the Aronson stack routines and essays would be collected into a single volume, like Mnemonica. I've had to dig around through all kinds of material (Michael Close, Norman Beck, Eric Richardson -- his excellent 'Oasis' was just published through Vanishing Inc!) to find additional Aronson stack routines. O to have all of this material in one volume!!!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
"Oasis" is really great! But nevertheless, if somebody wants to start exploring Simon Aronson's work and MD work in general he should start with "Bound to Please" and then move over to "Simply Simon". Latest by then he wants to read "the rest" anyway. I have Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Zedd
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
270 Posts

Profile of Zedd
As you mention it: where can I get books/ebooks from Norman Beck??

Best regards,

Zedd

P.S.: Yes, Oasis is awesome!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Which Aronson book? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL