The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Real telepathy (book) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Ty
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Saw that thread when I searched. Was looking for more
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Ive got this. I recommend it. Good thinking behind it. Lots of uses for it. Not for timid performers.
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
Why is this not for timid performers? It can be performed over the phone, right?

Maybe the failure rate is high?

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
On Mar 20, 2014, brehaut wrote:
Ive got this. I recommend it. Good thinking behind it. Lots of uses for it. Not for timid performers.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I purchased this. Some good thinking.

You don't get to duplicate the drawing though, just FYI.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Not for timid performers. It relies on the secret use of venomous snakes, so you have to be confident enough to act your way through the mortal danger. If the spectator becomes aware of the snakes, the effect will fail. (note: it may be possible to use scorpions instead).
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
genius
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of genius
Oh, so this book is for snake charmers then, huh?

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, C.J. wrote:
Not for timid performers. It relies on the secret use of venomous snakes, so you have to be confident enough to act your way through the mortal danger. If the spectator becomes aware of the snakes, the effect will fail. (note: it may be possible to use scorpions instead).
The Dark Cabaret
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of The Dark Cabaret
I've seen this performed 6-7 times now and the impact is solid but you need confidence, and an ability to read, at least to some extent. I'm aware of the method, and I will be ordering it myself. The risk you run is actually saying too much and stepping just a little too far. Less is more on this one.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Bought it, sold it. It does what it claims, (I suppose. I would never spend the time trying to perfect it) but is impractical. It seems an alternative to other easier things to do. It seemed to me that it would be easy for many to be bad at it, easy to flub slightly then have it be transparent, etc. In my case, better a weaker more solid thing, and something I can repeat every show.

I would think that it would be great for people who like jazz mentalism and that sort of thing...

But then, there is massive strength in the subtlest of things, so who's to judge. Ephemeral Mentalism is very strong.

However, if you want solid never-fail reliable and repeatable stuff, this might not be best for you. That would make other buyers happy.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Agreed, Tom. But I wouldn't call it "Jazz Mentalism." That's a phrase that I coined myself back in the early 90's to describe a very specific approach to Q&A. It's based on moving freely between alternate, yet completely solid, methods.

I was a bit saddened when others started using the term in a much different way. I's not about making things up as you go along as some seem to think. It's just like actual jazz- the melody is always there beneath the surface.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Thanks, Bob. That was about exactly opposite of what I meant.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I know that, Tom. I'm just trying to preserve the original meaning of the phrase. Since I coined the phrase it's been lifted to be used as a title for a card trick and is widely used to convey something that is almost exactly opposite to what I originally intended.
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
917 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2015, mastermindreader wro
I know that, Tom. I'm just trying to preserve the original meaning of the phrase. Since I coined the phrase it's been lifted to be used as a title for a card trick and is widely used to convey something that is almost exactly opposite to what I originally intended.

Lack of a better phrase might be a reason for that, can you offer another way to refer to the "Improvisation" kind of mentalism?
Reader discretion is advised.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

How about "Improvisational Mentalism?" Smile

As I said in my original definition of the term, jazz isn't entirely improvisational. The melody is always there somewhere and remains constant. And much "jazz" music isn't really improvised at all and is played almost exactly as written.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18806 Posts

Profile of IAIN
"makin' sh^t up mentalism"?
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
It's worth also distinguishing between improvisational mentalism and "too lazy to script it, but I'm sure it'll be fine if I make it all up on the fly" mentalism.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
gab
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of gab
In traditional jazz, the melody can be really far away! But the improvisation has to follow the chord charts.
It's like a structure you have to follow.

In Real Telepathy, the structure is always the same but you have to think on your feet and adapt your script to the situation. In truth, it's not an every day effect. I believe, it's more for special occasions after other sure fire effects.

How about "Free Jazz Mentalism" for effect with no or little structure?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17517 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

When did you coin the phrase Bob?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18806 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Read his posts on this thread, he tells you...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
917 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
How about "Freeform mentalism" as a serious suggestion? (based on Peter Turner's dvd set)
Much easier to say and sounds nice.

Freeform definition:
Created or done in any way you choose : not required to have particular patterns or forms.
Reader discretion is advised.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Real telepathy (book) (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL