The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » This Way Up from Paul Brook and Colin Mcleod (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3..8..12..16..20..24..28~29~30 [Next]
jaybest
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of jaybest
Just got the latest newsletter from Paul Brook and saw that within the next couple of days a new limited edition book is coming up for pre-order which is a joint project between Mr Brook and Colin Mcleod.

I have no idea of anything else about it other than what I have just posted, but being from PB and CM I'm definitely interested, looking forward to learning more.

Anyway thought I'd get the ball rolling by starting a thread on it, Colin and Paul feel free to jump in anytime with further details!

Cheers.
S.WARD
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
251 Posts

Profile of S.WARD
Looking forward to this one! Anything these guys release is always real world worker material.
Celloboy
View Profile
Special user
London, England
530 Posts

Profile of Celloboy
Just noticed that the details are up for Paul and Colin's new book. I am pretty interested for one. Looks cracking. Check it: http://www.paulbrook.co.uk/heknows/thiswayup.htm
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4525 Posts

Profile of RNK
Sounds great- to great. I can't see how you could divine one's thoughts without props or asking/writing NOTHING. That is impossible. $215 is a lot of money in today's economy to take a chance to supposedly learn how to read minds for REAL which we all know is impossible unless you are GOD. I understand Paul and Colin put out very nice work, but let's face it-the add states for Pauls contribution:
"You ask someone in the group to think of a memory. She can even change her mind and think of another memory if she so wishes. Without fishing, you instantly start to describe the emotions that the person is feeling and where those emotions are in her body. Then you begin to recall specific images of the memory she is just thinking about. Both participant and onlookers are amazed as you proceed to name the exact memory she is merely thinking of. The participant confirms the images you mentioned were exactly what she was thinking of and saw in her mind.

The process can then be repeated with the same person thinking of a different memory, or another person can have their mind read."

and Colins Stage contribution:
"Three people in the audience are asked to stand up at their seat. Each person is asked to think of something different. One person thinks of any location in the world, one thinks of any film, and another thinks of a time. Wihtout fishing you are instantly able to tell all three people what they are thinking of. Not only that, but you are able to go into intricate details you could only know if you were genuinely reading minds.

If that wasn't strong enough. Another three random people are asked to stand at their seats. A fourth randomly selected person joins you on stage. Just as before the three people in the audience are asked to think of a random piece of information. Without any coaching the audience member on stage is able to tell each person what they are thinking of, along with precise details that she feels she is making up right there on the spot."

If you could do these things by after reading a book describing the process and they state that it's a Simple method- well the book would be worth ALOT more than $215!

Any other thoughts? Again I respect both Paul and Colin's work, just a little hard to believe.

RNK
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
I simply do not trust the advertising here. The words "no instant stooging" were also used by Colin to describe his book test, yet that was almost exactly what I would describe as instant stooging. If I meet Colin maybe he will perform the effect on me myself, I doubt it, as it seems very much like a DR effect and that would reveal the method in all likelihood.

I've not doubt you are reading this Colin, and if you feel hurt by me doubting you then I'm sorry. But in my defence you are trying to sell a book which claims to produce real mind reading, I think I'd be an idiot if I wasn't so sceptical.

Tom
xx
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

Does anyone else find the term "Special User" to be a bit condescending?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11477 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 09:00, Thomas Cooper wrote:
I simply do not trust the advertising here. The words "no instant stooging" were also used by Colin to describe his book test, yet that was almost exactly what I would describe as instant stooging. If I meet Colin maybe he will perform the effect on me myself, I doubt it, as it seems very much like a DR effect and that would reveal the method in all likelihood.

I've not doubt you are reading this Colin, and if you feel hurt by me doubting you then I'm sorry. But in my defence you are trying to sell a book which claims to produce real mind reading, I think I'd be an idiot if I wasn't so sceptical.

Tom
xx


... then again you don't trust much. Nothing new there.

Everything I have from Paul Brook is 100% (as Wayne Campbell would say) EXCELLENT ... PARTY TIME!! Great stuff. This should be as well.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4525 Posts

Profile of RNK
So John- you think after reading this book- you will be able to read someone's thoughts without doing ANYTHING-NOTHING?

Just asking- not being rude.

Bob
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
I simply do not trust the advertising here. The words "no instant stooging" were also used by Colin to describe his book test, yet that was almost exactly what I would describe as instant stooging.


True dat.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
D Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia
371 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
I don't know either one of these chaps or their work, but the first effect sounds like something Kenton Knepper could do using his Completely Cold effect. http://www.wonderwizards.com/product_inf......ksgf3h60

I would love to hear from someone who does purchase this as to the truth in the advertising.
Doug
Check out our Fast 50 @
https://unclechopsmagicshop.com
Euan4
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
147 Posts

Profile of Euan4
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 09:00, Thomas Cooper wrote:
The words "no instant stooging" were also used by Colin to describe his book test, yet that was almost exactly what I would describe as instant stooging.


I don't believe that his bookless test could be described as an instant stooge because there was still an effect for the person on stage. I know Colin well and think he is a genius and he was actually the reason I got into mentalism. Everything Colin does is gold, he is a very clever thinker! I trust this will be the exact same. Smile

Euan
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2703 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 09:00, Thomas Cooper wrote:
I simply do not trust the advertising here. The words "no instant stooging" were also used by Colin to describe his book test, yet that was almost exactly what I would describe as instant stooging. If I meet Colin maybe he will perform the effect on me myself, I doubt it, as it seems very much like a DR effect and that would reveal the method in all likelihood.

I've not doubt you are reading this Colin, and if you feel hurt by me doubting you then I'm sorry. But in my defence you are trying to sell a book which claims to produce real mind reading, I think I'd be an idiot if I wasn't so sceptical.

Tom
xx


Thomas Cooper, please stop guessing, if you don't know how an effect is achieved then you cannot and should not criticise it on its method. I've said this already in a post you made criticizing 'Whisper'.

Thomas, it's a mentalism book, it doesn't state that this is real mind reading. No doubt there will be methods and techniques there that will create the illusion of what is outlined in the advertising blurb.

Forgive me but I very rarely post anything negative on this forum, I see good in everyone, but Thomas (I know that's just your Forum name) you seem to be jumping to criticize everything these days. Your are criticizing this book before it's even been released for goodness sake. You are criticising 'Whisper' for being DR when you don't even know the method. Calm down dude, take a chill pill.

Love and Peace to one and all, god knows I love this green place, but sometimes...

Derek
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein






FACEBOOK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4525 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 10:37, Euan4 wrote:


I don't believe that his bookless test could be described as an instant stooge because there was still an effect for the person on stage. I know Colin well and think he is a genius and he was actually the reason I got into mentalism. Everything Colin does is gold, he is a very clever thinker! I trust this will be the exact same. Smile

Euan
[/quote]

Again- not to be rude Euan- but real mind reading does not exist. Without doing ANYTHING- you CANNOT read someones thoughts. It doesn't matter how smart you are- not possible.

RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4525 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 11:00, kinesis wrote:


Thomas Cooper, please stop guessing, if you don't know how an effect is achieved then you cannot and should not criticise it on its method. I've said this already in a post you made criticizing 'Whisper'.

Thomas, it's a mentalism book, it doesn't state that this is real mind reading. No doubt there will be methods and techniques there that will create the illusion of what is outlined in the advertising blurb.

Forgive me but I very rarely post anything negative on this forum, I see good in everyone, but Thomas (I know that's just your Forum name) you seem to be jumping to criticize everything these days. Your are criticizing this book before it's even been released for goodness sake. You are criticising 'Whisper' for being DR when you don't even know the method. Calm down dude, take a chill pill.

Love and Peace to one and all, god knows I love this green place, but sometimes...

Derek
[/quote]

Then in their advertising- they should say that and not state- No fishing, no stooges, no. no. no. no. If there are techniques and a method in which to make it work, SOMETHING has to be said or done and they should state that in thier ad- especially if you are charging $215! I am not trying to be rude Derek- I also think these two have some great work out there, but a lot of these ads are so misleading- then when you get the product- you are disappointed and in this case- out $215! Not Cool!

RNK
Euan4
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
147 Posts

Profile of Euan4
[/quote]

Again- not to be rude Euan- but real mind reading does not exist. Without doing ANYTHING- you CANNOT read someones thoughts. It doesn't matter how smart you are- not possible.

RNK
[/quote]

Yeah I understand that real mind reading does not exist, I was simply stating that I don't agree that his bookless test was an instant stooge. It will have a method or technique of some form but like I said Colin is a clever thinker as is Paul Brooks so I expect this to be worth the price. My post was more about how this book will no doubt be a good book because I like Colins thinking! I know that buying this book won't give me the ability to really read minds, but it will give me a new method or technique that will create the illusion that I can, which is the case with every Mentalism book/dvd. Don't worry your post didn't sound rude! Smile

Euan

Euan
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4525 Posts

Profile of RNK
Thanks Euan- it's never my intenton to be rude. I'm just a little disappointed with the ad. As we ALL know-there has to be SOMETHING that is done to get the information. But you are right about these guys being clever thinkers.

Best,
RNK
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11477 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 09:13, RNK wrote:
So John- you think after reading this book- you will be able to read someone's thoughts without doing ANYTHING-NOTHING?

Just asking- not being rude.

Bob


In the eyes of the audience ... YES! See Devin's new product Four Told.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11477 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 11:23, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 10:37, Euan4 wrote:


I don't believe that his bookless test could be described as an instant stooge because there was still an effect for the person on stage. I know Colin well and think he is a genius and he was actually the reason I got into mentalism. Everything Colin does is gold, he is a very clever thinker! I trust this will be the exact same. Smile

Euan


>>>> but real mind reading does not exist.

RNK
[/quote]

RNK - Prove your assertions. (not to be rude or anything)
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Euan said:
Quote:
I don't believe that his bookless test could be described as an instant stooge because there was still an effect for the person on stage. I know Colin well and think he is a genius and he was actually the reason I got into mentalism. Everything Colin does is gold, he is a very clever thinker! I trust this will be the exact same.


Still an instant stooge. The person on stage is aware of the 'dual reality' of the effect and it is hoped that they play along and the mini effect is a sweetner for them. I realise it is possible to quibble about the grey area between instant stooging and dual reality - but for me the "dualness" of a dual reality effect needs to be invisible to BOTH the participant and the wider audience. That said, with better scripting the effect can quickly be transformed into something with is 'true' dual reality - but that is not how it ships.

Having said that, I quite like some of Colin's work and it is worth checking out.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1157 Posts

Profile of r1z08
RNK,

I've read the ad and I don't see where it says that you can read someone's thoughts without anything or nothing. In fact, those words are not even listed in the ad. Of course there's something going on, but why would they tell you in the advertisement? I certainly wouldn't buy anything that gives away the method in the ad. *cough* nomad pad *cough*

I am just trying to understand your disappointment.

-rob
caycemindreader
View Profile
Regular user
UK
104 Posts

Profile of caycemindreader
I simply don't understand why Colin and Paul don't explain the method they use in their adverts?
Surely it would make it a much more sensible purchase and justify the cost?
You lot kill me. C
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » This Way Up from Paul Brook and Colin Mcleod (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..8..12..16..20..24..28~29~30 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL