The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Baxt TV (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Anybody else catch Robert Baxt (one of the funniest entertainers around) on the show "30 Seconds To Fame" (or whatever it's called), over the weekend? Plate spinning and a couple sight gags... what else can you get in 30 seconds? right?

Steve
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
If you DVR the show as I tend to, you will see that people can cram a LOT into 30 seconds! I'm always amazed at the number of real pro acts that have been on the show. Some do ok, and others get cut by the audience in the first round, it's always interesting to me to see what plays in this venue.
Ray Pierce
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Guy last weekend was doing cigar box juggling, and was good. Audience boo'ed him off! Hard to believe.

Steve
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Nope, it's really not. This isn't about talent but popularity. You may be really slick but if you're not instantly likable and connect to that particular audience and demographic, you won't get through. I know many friends who have done this show including some of the top performers in their field that got the boot as well. It's a great study. They might be great after 3 or 4 minutes in the real world and win an audience over but on this show, it's about instant likability above all else.
Ray Pierce
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I haven't seen it in a while, but from what I remember, the crowd's mood had a lot to do with it. I remember watching, and the crowd being encouraged to boo...if too many "good" acts got through in a row, the crowd antsy, and would start booing, even before the act started some times. Again, that's just my recollection...

Ken
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Yeah, Ken...I DVR every episode and study it. Generally acts that would have a High Q Score will do better no matter what the act. You have to look at the trends on the show and what appeals to that target demographic although I've seen young hip kids get through while others fail as well as older people that are certainly not hip or cool get through and fail equally, too. It all boils down to instant likability and connection to the audience, which makes it a great study for magic.
Ray Pierce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Baxt TV (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL