We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Cigarette Packaging (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 22:32, irossall wrote:

First the price of cigarette's was raised in order to stop people from smoking (didn't work).

Next strategy was to tell us how dangerous "second hand" smoke is to those who don't smoke (didn't work).

Next came smoking area's in resturants, followed by a total ban also including bars (didn't work).

...

You say those things didn't work. I am inclined to disagree. I think those initiatives did work and are still working.

Image


http://www.gallup.com/poll/109048/US-Smo......own.aspx

"The percentage of U.S. adults saying they smoked cigarettes in the past week, now 21%, is similar to what Gallup found in 2007. However, it represents a decline from earlier this decade, when between 22% and 28% said they smoked, and is among the lowest figures Gallup has recorded in more than six decades of polling on tobacco use in America."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tobacc......_Germany

Nazis, come on, someone had to do it Smile
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 23:08, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 22:32, irossall wrote:

First the price of cigarette's was raised in order to stop people from smoking (didn't work).

Next strategy was to tell us how dangerous "second hand" smoke is to those who don't smoke (didn't work).

Next came smoking area's in resturants, followed by a total ban also including bars (didn't work).

...

You say those things didn't work. I am inclined to disagree. I think those initiatives did work and are still working.

Image


http://www.gallup.com/poll/109048/US-Smo......own.aspx

"The percentage of U.S. adults saying they smoked cigarettes in the past week, now 21%, is similar to what Gallup found in 2007. However, it represents a decline from earlier this decade, when between 22% and 28% said they smoked, and is among the lowest figures Gallup has recorded in more than six decades of polling on tobacco use in America."


It looks like use was declining more before the 90's. Kind of plateaus after that.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 17:01, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Remember when smoking permitted in restaurants?
In movie theatres?
On airplanes?
In hospital wards?

We've come a long way in a short time. Maybe by the time my children are my age we'll get rid of smoking altogether.

But without legislation, we'd still be fighting through carcinogenic clouds in restaurants, theatres, airplanes and hospitals.

John


A Magicgram magazine from '84 has a series of articles by Billy McComb (At Homb with McComb). He talks about flying to America and trying to smoke his pipe only to be told that it was cigarettes or nothing. So he pulled out some cigarette papers from his close-up kit and hand-rolled a cigarette... with his pipe tobacco!

There's also the line from Simon and Garfunkle's "America"; "Toss me a cigarette, I think there's one in my raincoat." Mind you, the two characters are traveling on a bus at the time.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 23:15, gdw wrote:

It looks like use was declining more before the 90's. Kind of plateaus after that.

The easy work was done early on, as is fairly common in these things.

Note that the decisive research on second hand smoke and bans on restaurant smoking were both in the early / mid 2000s (where I live, smoking in restaurant bans didn't go into effect until 2007). Smoking rates dropped about 7% since then. Well, that is 7% in absolute terms ... in relative terms, they've declined 25% since then.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 13:08, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 12:27, Big Jeff wrote:

If it's so bad--BAN IT!!!!

Has a ban on a popular recreational drug ever worked?


Of course.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 17:37, gdw wrote:
John, your last statement is simply not true.


Yes, the free market will work perfectly well. It's like Las Vegas - cigarette smoking isn't banned in casinos, but the Silver City voluntarily operated a smoke-free casino to offer a smoke-free alternative.


Just in case we don't have any Vegas locals or visitors here to blurt out the punchline, it's something like, "Of course, they went out of business, but that's another story..."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2454 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 12:27, Big Jeff wrote:
They are trying to get people to stop smoking because it is bad for you, YET they won't ban it. They raise the taxes and claim that money will go to help stop kids from smoking and when people quit smoking, the money for the progrqam goes down and the politicians complain that they don't have enough money.


If it's so bad--BAN IT!!!!


As soon as they do, the "elite liberal left" will rejoice, the medical community will rejoice, but the biggest noise will be the voices of the "great unwashed" screaming "Huge government overreach! I want my FREEEEEDOM! I told you Obama would do this! Wait till the tanks start rolling through the streets seizing your guns and your cigarettes!"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ross
Thank God there is one militant BUTT SUCKER here. I hope your post was a joke because everyone is laughing at you now.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Yeah but can you imagine the cost of having to remove the "T" from all those "BATF" shirts, jackets and vests? Then what are you left with... "BAF" that sounds lame (maybe could put an "R" in there for something). "Resistance", Bureau of Alcohol, Resistance (resistance is futile) and Firearms "B.A.R.F."? Or not
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Of course I am more concerned about the restriction of Firearms than tobacco.

Hee, hee this should start a thread...Tobacco kills, firearms don't. Pepole, kill people with firearms. People themselves and others with tobacco.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I'm wondering how many of those on here who would like to see a ban of cigarettes are for legalizing marijuana?

I suspect some very bright entrepreneur is going to make a lot of money selling inexpensive but interesting cigarette cases to slip your pack into to cover up the offensive graphics. (Of course, then the government will probably want to ban the cases!)
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
If knowing that smoking will kill them is not enough to stop people from smoking, then a new package surely isn't going to do it. In my opinion, the only thing that might work is to make it illegal, with severe penalties.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 22:32, rockwall wrote:

I'm wondering how many of those on here who would like to see a ban of cigarettes are for legalizing marijuana?

There are lots of ways to use marijuana, without having to smoke it.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 22:40, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 22:32, rockwall wrote:

I'm wondering how many of those on here who would like to see a ban of cigarettes are for legalizing marijuana?

There are lots of ways to use marijuana, without having to smoke it.


There are also lots of ways to use tobacco without smoking it. Smoking just happens to be the most popular, and convenient, method for both.

Thankfully there are things like E Cigs, which are making far less, if not completely harmless methods of consuming nicotine far more convenient.
Unfortunately, the companies selling tobacco for smoking have been lobbying the fda to regulate them to eliminate the competition.
Yes, the fda is helping to keep virtually harmless products out of the market for the benefit of those making one of the most commonly used deadly products. What would we do without regulations? We'd all be eating cyanide burgers at McDonalds, because there's nothing better for business than killing your customers. Well, that is, if you can do it very slowly, with a highly addictive substance, while bullying out the safer alternatives, then, yeah, of course that's good for business.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 22:39, NicholasD wrote:
If knowing that smoking will kill them is not enough to stop people from smoking, then a new package surely isn't going to do it. In my opinion, the only thing that might work is to make it illegal, with severe penalties.


Right, because that's kept illicit drug use down relative to when you could buy heroin at the pharmacy . . .
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 22:56, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 22:40, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 22:32, rockwall wrote:

I'm wondering how many of those on here who would like to see a ban of cigarettes are for legalizing marijuana?

There are lots of ways to use marijuana, without having to smoke it.


There are also lots of ways to use tobacco without smoking it.

Not as many effective and convenient ways, though.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 22:40, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 22:32, rockwall wrote:

I'm wondering how many of those on here who would like to see a ban of cigarettes are for legalizing marijuana?

There are lots of ways to use marijuana, without having to smoke it.


When someone is afraid to answer a question directly, people are left with having to make an assumption. For the sake of argument, let's assume that you are for banning cigarettes but not banning marijuana. But then, based on your statement, are you for banning 'smoking' marijuana?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 23:14, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 22:40, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 22:32, rockwall wrote:

I'm wondering how many of those on here who would like to see a ban of cigarettes are for legalizing marijuana?

There are lots of ways to use marijuana, without having to smoke it.


When someone is afraid to answer a question directly, people are left with having to make an assumption. For the sake of argument, let's assume that you are for banning cigarettes but not banning marijuana. But then, based on your statement, are you for banning 'smoking' marijuana?

It's not that I did not answer the question directly ... I was just pointing out that the assumptions apparently underlying your question appeared to me to be nonsensical. It's apples and oranges.

Personally, I do not care whether one or the other is legal or not.

As for your specific follow-up question ... sure, if one smoke-able product is banned, then ban the other as well. Fair is fair.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
It's definitely not apples and oranges. I would imagine that the claim "if one smoke-able product is banned, then ban the other as well" would speak to the contrary.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Cigarette Packaging (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL