The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Eugene Burger Out Of This World (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
I find Burger's OOTW performance -- a hybrid of the Grant and original Curry methods with some adornments specific to Burger -- to be the best I've ever seen. Curious if others have either dissenting or confirming views.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
It's tough to say. There are some pretty good methods for having a pure Red/Black separation, eliminating the need to have to deal with a four-packet outcome. Then again, too many people have said that it flies as is.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
It's my favorite impromptu solution. I use it all the time with unmarked, shuffled cards just as Eugene teaches. Before revealing how well the participant has done I separate a small stack of the unused, shuffled cards that have sat aside during the main effect (I use a separate secret for that). Participants are always impressed. "That was cool, but of course I can do it," I say. "You'd expect me to do it perfectly. What's going to keep you up tonight is... how did you do it?" Then I turn over the four tabled packets reveal the participant's success.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Mr. X
View Profile
Elite user
U.K.
440 Posts

Profile of Mr. X
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 21:59, Mike Ince wrote:
Before revealing how well the participant has done I separate a small stack of the unused, shuffled cards that have sat aside during the main effect (I use a separate secret for that). Participants are always impressed.

Do you mean to say the still shuffled portion also separates in colour?
So much to do. So little time.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
On 2011-06-23 14:37, Mr. X wrote:
Do you mean to say the still shuffled portion also separates in colour?

Yes. The shuffled portion of the deck sat aside is the one I use, separating the face-down cards myself. It's something I learned to do with ordinary decks a few years ago and I like how it sets people up to doubt they could do the same thing until they discover they've done just as well.
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
Any refernce on inding this effect? (the performance)
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Mike - that is a great idea in framing the effect that way. I bet it magnifies the impossibility of the situation - well done.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
On 2011-06-30 08:29, whiteoakcanyon wrote:
Mike - that is a great idea in framing the effect that way. I bet it magnifies the impossibility of the situation - well done.

Thanks. I have to give credit to my friend Sean Waters, who's "Beyond Touch" routine gave me the new framework for combining a color-sensing routine with Burger's Nu-Way handling.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Book references:

"Out Of This World" in Intimate Power by Eugene Burger

also reprinted in Burger, Mastering the Art of Magic, p.150 ff
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2011-07-01 01:41, Mike Ince wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-30 08:29, whiteoakcanyon wrote:

Thanks. I have to give credit to my friend Sean Waters, who's "Beyond Touch" routine gave me the new framework for combining a color-sensing routine with Burger's Nu-Way handling.

Carl Albright has a similar type of frame that he uses with John Kennedy's "Red and Black". This was published several years ago in Wesley James' "Mojo". There's a very nice 1-2-3 punch to the ending, the way he sets it up.
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Darcy Brown
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Darcy Brown
Have been using the UF Grant handling for a few years, and its simplicity and directness are huge strengths. Always tremendous reactions…their minds racing, then trying to back-track, then they reach for the deck… to *really* fry them, of course Smile
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
There's one by Eugene Burger in 'The Best Of All Worlds' book. Is this the same one you guys are referencing?

Greig.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Eugene Burger Out Of This World (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL