The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » How many do spoon bending? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I just got Guy Bavli The Art Of Metal Bending Booklet. How many of you BEND...
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Quote:
On 2002-04-26 15:42, WR wrote:
I just got Guy Bavli The Art Of Metal Bending Booklet. How many of you BEND...
Most magically yours,
WR Smile

I do some metal bending in my show as it is very visual. What do you want to know?
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
I have looked into this type of thing and I was dying to get a good routine but most that I have found were just good old sleight of hand where you bent the spoon and then pretended it wasnt bent until at the critical moment presto. I couldn't find anything that was truly worth the trouble.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2002-04-27 04:10, vovin wrote:
I couldn't find anything that was truly worth the trouble.

Vovin, I agree - Cent percent!

Smile Ustaad
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
brownbomber
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh
156 Posts

Profile of brownbomber
The Banachek PK Silverware video is essential viewing for any aspiring benders out there. Results can be outstanding.

bb Smile
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Vovin said: "I have looked into this type of thing and I was dying to get a good routine but most that I have found were just good old sleight of hand where you bent the spoon and then pretended it wasnt bent until at the critical moment presto. I couldn't find anything that was truly worth the trouble."

Perhaps you should look into channeling an alien force from beyond to help you achieve your spoon bending like Uri Geller once stated. Otherwise, I suppose it's back to thoughtful routining, mundane sleight of hand, and misdirection. Darn!!!
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
The Bear
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
71 Posts

Profile of The Bear
Oh how I've tried, but I just cannot seem do the Geller method of using the 'power of my mind'. Instead I use the more reliable 'power of my hand' technique. Mind you, my hand is controlled by my mind... maybe Geller's on to something.

Seriously though, the Banachek video is a must for students of metal bending. Guy Bavli also has a set of videos worth checking out.
There are two types of people in the world. Those that divide the world into two types of people, and those that don't.
vovin
View Profile
Veteran user
Columbus,Oh
338 Posts

Profile of vovin
I have this video. It is just not that impressive to me. Just sleight of hand ayone with a decent focus will catch you. It is the best on the market on the subject but that is not saying much by far.

Quote:
On 2002-05-19 11:33, brownbomber wrote:
The Banachek PK Silverware video is essential viewing for any aspiring benders out there. Results can be outstanding.

bb Smile
lyndonwebb
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of lyndonwebb
i have never fancied metal bending i personally think unless you can adapt it to maybe a story its just a case of how clever you can make yourself look. Maybe i am wrong i dunno? Maybe th spoon of DEATH or the spoon was used by a demon to eat the brains of his victims.
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
Quote:
I have this video. It is just not that impressive to me. Just sleight of hand...

Yeah, that old sleight of hand stuff. It just ruins magic.

Jim
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
"Just sleight of hand ayone with a decent focus will catch you."

If you are unpractised, unfocused, and clueless as to what you are trying to present, I'm sure just about anyone can catch you.

A finely honed routine involving spoonbending (or practically anything for that matter) can both entertain and amaze most audiences. Just see Banachek, Alain Nu, and others in action and I'm know they can fool even some supposedly well-posted magic enthusiasts as well as lay people. Or failing that, look where "just sleight of hand" and a little psychology took Uri Geller.

JZ
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
The Bear
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
71 Posts

Profile of The Bear
Quote:
On 2002-05-21 09:10, vovin wrote:
Just sleight of hand ayone with a decent focus will catch you.

Slightly surprised at this comment. Banachek and others have been managing to fool people for years doing exacly this, including scientists actually researching the phenomenon.

Heck, even I can manage it. And believe me, if I can, anyone can!
There are two types of people in the world. Those that divide the world into two types of people, and those that don't.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Quote:
On 2002-04-27 04:10, vovin wrote:
I have looked into this type of thing and I was dying to get a good routine but most that I have found were just good old sleight of hand where you bent the spoon and then pretended it wasnt bent until at the critical moment presto. I couldn't find anything that was truly worth the trouble.

Go here and look at my spoon vid.
http://www.chadsanborn.com/videos.html
I tell you, after bending spoons like that, no magician can follow me!

Chad
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
Why are we trying to sell the idea of spoon bending....?
The less people do it, the better.
If it's not someones style then so be it.

Yea ...spoon bending sucks...I hate it.
Every one knows how it is done.

I prefer card tricks....I especialy like a good color monty routine, with jumbo cards though.

E-Leoni.
Smile Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I have been bending keys and silverware for twenty years now. I cannot remember EVER being caught even by fellow performers who knew exactly what I was going to do.

Conversely, when Banachek does it in performance I am unable to catch it.

Simple sleight of hand and misdirection is the entire foundation of effective magic and mentalism. Believe me, they are WELL worth the trouble.

Best Regards-
Bob Cassidy
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I'm with Bob on this one, not surprisingly. I was at the taping for Banachek's video, and despite having sat through multiple takes of the explanations, he still fried me with the performance. I knew what he was doing and still couldn't catch it.

But if it's not your thing, then don't do it, leave it for those of us who do understand how powerful it is.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
brownbomber
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh
156 Posts

Profile of brownbomber
I agree with Bob and Andy - Banachek´s video is a masterclass in misdirection/sleight of hand. You´re fooled even knowing when and what he´s doing. As to the effect, as I´ve posted elsewhere, on its first run-out the results were TOTAL astonishment.

bb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » How many do spoon bending? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL