The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Penn Jillette (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm deeply offended by a comment Critter made. When God said to Abraham kill me a son and Abe said man you must be puttin' me on etc the location of said killing was to be highway 61 not 51.

Do note for those that cannot stand for the US flag that we vets while in the service stood at attention for the passing of the flag of the nation we were visiting as well as for their national anthem. Our ship would also salute ships from friendly nations.

Again chillin', people only have the power that you give them for stupid acts.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-06-23 12:47, Dr. Delusion wrote:
Kcg5.
The money we used to buy the truck was the part I was suppose to take for room and board and money that he can do with what ever he wishes. Due to my son's Autism he will never be able to hold down a job. The truck was what he wanted so I let him have it. Since then I do take out my portion for room and board and the rest goes to him.
Bob.

Kcg5,

Sure hope the above post satisfies you. Are you alright with it now? Does the truck still offend you in any way. Because we sure don't want to do that.

I sure know where I would like to put that truck if I were Dr. Delusion.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2011-06-23 16:22, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-23 16:14, Steven Conner wrote:

What's your beer of choice?

I prefer the kind of beer with alcohol in it.

Did you ever live outside of the US for any length of time? Outside of the service, I mean.

No. I was in Viet-Nam from 69-72. Traveled to Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, Spain, Rio, after Nam. I actually wanted to live in Toyko. It does bring back memories. Just got a note from Bob Cassidy. We celebrate our birthdays today. As I recall, German beer is a little stronger than we serve here in the States.

Cheer
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
I served with the 1st and 2nd Ranger Battalions at Hunter Army Airfield, Ga. and Ft. Lewis, Wa. and 75th Ranger Regiment Forward at Bad Tolz, Germany and served as cadre' at the Ranger School at Ft. Benning, Ga. I am a veteran of Panama, Desert Storm and Somalia, I know first hand the sacrifices veterans made. I have watched young men die in the most horrible of ways. I have been covered with their blood and I have heard them cry out for their mothers and for God. I have given orders knowing that someone was not coming back alive. I have stood honor guard at funerals and have accompanied a body home. I have also killed and I know the weight the soul carries. I know what soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines do to try and ease those memories. Unless one is a veteran you will never know what this is like. All the stories told to you will never come close to equaling the actual experience.

I believe that if a person wants to burn the American flag on American soil, then that person has the right to do so. I have fought and others have died for that right. However, I don't like it. When an American exercises their freedom and burns the flag, it sickens me; it turns my stomach and does everyone who has died in service of this country a grave dishonor. I am more at ease when a veteran burns the flag than when someone who never served burns the flag. At least the person who served, at the very least, knows what it is like to stand in blistering heat or extreme cold and salute the flag. Every veteran knows that one thing that every soldier, sailor, airmen or marine prides themselves on is the sharpness of their salute, especially when rendered to the flag.

I will also say that freedom of speech has just become a catch all for pretty much saying or doing whatever without any forethought or caring how it may offend some people, many times, said exercise of freedom of speech is evidence of really bad parenting.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2011-06-23 18:14, Dreadnought wrote:
I served with the 1st and 2nd Ranger Battalions at Hunter Army Airfield, Ga. and Ft. Lewis, Wa. and 75th Ranger Regiment Forward at Bad Tolz, Germany and served as cadre' at the Ranger School at Ft. Benning, Ga. I am a veteran of Panama, Desert Storm and Somalia, I know first hand the sacrifices veterans made. I have watched young men die in the most horrible of ways. I have been covered with their blood and I have heard them cry out for their mothers and for God. I have given orders knowing that someone was not coming back alive. I have stood honor guard at funerals and have accompanied a body home. I have also killed and I know the weight the soul carries. I know what soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines do to try and ease those memories. Unless one is a veteran you will never know what this is like. All the stories told to you will never come close to equaling the actual experience.

I believe that if a person wants to burn the American flag on American soil, then that person has the right to do so. I have fought and others have died for that right. However, I don't like it. When an American exercises their freedom and burns the flag, it sickens me; it turns my stomach and does everyone who has died in service of this country a grave dishonor. I am more at ease when a veteran burns the flag than when someone who never served burns the flag. At least the person who served, at the very least, knows what it is like to stand in blistering heat or extreme cold and salute the flag. Every veteran knows that one thing that every soldier, sailor, airmen or marine prides themselves on is the sharpness of their salute, especially when rendered to the flag.

I will also say that freedom of speech has just become a catch all for pretty much saying or doing whatever without any forethought or caring how it may offend some people, many times, said exercise of freedom of speech is evidence of really bad parenting.

Well said. Leave none behind.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-23 16:25, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 23:45, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 16:18, gdw wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks this kid is starting to look a bit too happy to be doing this? He must want to see the country, and everything that flag stands for, burn, quick arrest him!

He would probably be amused at watching paint dry and give that same smile. The background population there looks pretty sharp too. Smile Yeah people I want to hire for my businesses. Sign them up if they are not to busy burning the American FLag.

Has to make his mom proud. Bet she is all smiles back there. Probably his father also...that is if they know who the father is.

Do you know what that is a picture of?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:

Nicely put, Scott.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
? proper destruction of a soiled or damaged flag?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-06-23 18:28, gdw wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Am I the only one who thinks this kid is starting to look a bit too happy to be doing this? He must want to see the country, and everything that flag stands for, burn, quick arrest him!

He would probably be amused at watching paint dry and give that same smile. The background population there looks pretty sharp too. Smile Yeah people I want to hire for my businesses. Sign them up if they are not to busy burning the American FLag.

Has to make his mom proud. Bet she is all smiles back there. Probably his father also...that is if they know who the father is.

If that is some kind of trick question I give up. However to me it looks like a kid burning an American Flag. What does it "LOOK" like to you? Not what it is a picture of, but what does it "LOOK" LIKE.

Are you not going to give me some patrotic story. Does not matter ..I say again. What does it look like? That is what matters as long as there was no caption.

Hope I answered your question.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Can we just admit that it's P&T's job to be controversial? That being said, after hooking people, they now have to turn it around for their demographic. Yes, it's a powerful routine that creates negative interest when people talk about it before seeing it (which is one of their ultimate goals as the self promoted "Bad Boys of Magic") then it gives them a chance to wrap it in a different and unexpected message when people see it. I can never even imagine burning an American flag myself, but it is a great routine for many reasons.
Ray Pierce
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:

Well said indeed.

Thank you sir for your time and sacrifices.

Tom
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-23 19:02, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-23 18:28, gdw wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If that is some kind of trick question I give up. However to me it looks like a kid burning an American Flag. What does it "LOOK" like to you? Not what it is a picture of, but what does it "LOOK" LIKE.

Are you not going to give me some patrotic story. Does not matter ..I say again. What does it look like? That is what matters as long as there was no caption.

Hope I answered your question.

Actually you are correct, and that was the point. What difference does it make when it's the exact same act. Why does one make some desire the person locked in a cage, or, as some here suggest, shot, and the other is viewed as patriotic, when the only difference is what the person is thinking?

Why did you jump to criticizing the kid, when all the additional information beyond the fire and flag points to it being ceremony over protest.

As for context, it was posted originally not much before the post you quoted.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:

You the man. Thanks.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-06-23 16:34, MagicSanta wrote:
I'm deeply offended by a comment Critter made. When God said to Abraham kill me a son and Abe said man you must be puttin' me on etc the location of said killing was to be highway 61 not 51.

Dang. My bad.

I would like to also take a moment to acknowledge the sacrifices made by the families of those who serve.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Gdw quoted: Actually you are correct, and that was the point. What difference does it make when it's the exact same act. Why does one make some desire the person locked in a cage, or, as some here suggest, shot, and the other is viewed as patriotic, when the only difference is what the person is thinking?

Why did you jump to criticizing the kid, when all the additional information beyond the fire and flag points to it being ceremony over protest.

As for context, it was posted originally not much before the post you quoted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously what the heck are you talking about?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Penn Jillette (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL