The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » I guess Cee Lo Green is more magical than Dani Larry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WeiserSide1
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
512 Posts

Profile of WeiserSide1
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I wish there was another range of motion with that illusion. It would look so much better. Like Lance Burtons floating car.
-Matt
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2258 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Well... I guess it got attention. I've actually been on a rig like this and its definitely a fun ride! I always thought this effect was ok until it started revolving, then it always pointed to the method. If it had some off axis rotation that shifted the center of gravity it would be more deceptive but a lot more complex and probably not worth it. I also thought it also really restrained CeeLo's normally fun and active style as too much movement would start bouncing the rig. It restrained his personality and performance way too much... but again, if people talk about it, that's what counts!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
LanceRich
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of LanceRich
What Ray said!!! all of it. And to elaborate, he was kinda dull in comparison to other performances.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Ray's nailed it. Wha matters the most is that it looked AWESOME on TV. Even though the motion did tip the method big time... Man, that was sure unexpected.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
742 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Cee Lo Green makes more money!!!!!!!! Ain't that some Sh---------------------------..... LOL

TR
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
I noticed, in the comments, no one commented about the levitation. Its like just any other special Effect. When we watch a movie, and we know its a special effect, its not as amazing. We as magicians have the ability to create that 'connection error'. When the viewer can't quite think its special FX. To the audience at the awards, the piano levitation was probably in their minds just some lifting mechanism. What mattered to them was the performance. I kinda like Dani Lary's one better. Maybe I'm biased to magic.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsYFqYa0t3k&NR=1

Check this one out... Much well presented IMHO.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2258 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Yes, it was really fun thanks to the host but not at all magical. As soon as the piano started bouncing, it gave away the lack of mass. The last small rotations looked really mechanical and I don't think anyone ever really got the feeling of it "Floating" but just of it on a lift they couldn't see. It's those small mostly intangible things that make it magical and a lot was missing there. When Copperfield did his "Flying", the most imortant thing was the lack of a mechanical look to everything, and he succeeded. This one... not so much!
Ray Pierce
Hector
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Hector
What I liked on the first video was that it has some interesting camera shots!
And that's true, for the audience it could look like an special effect.

About the motion, in fact, Dani Lary's piano has some amazing movemements!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyyMf4x09hw
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Quote:
On 2011-06-25 04:49, Hector wrote:
What I liked on the first video was that it has some interesting camera shots!

Yes definitely interesting angles. It would have been good if ALL of the lights on the curtain were twinkling though...
-Matt
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2258 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Yes, Dani's is much more mobile and much less mechanical. You can tell that it is more organic with someone puppeteering it. His still suffers from the same problem as most levitations that try and do a 360 degree turn and that is... the axis of rotation always points the eye to the support without fail. If you watch the motion of the piano, the center of rotation always aims the same direction. The more it turns and moves, the more it points to the lifting arm.

It needs to have an additional hinged gimbal mount at the piano on the back to give another lateral axis of movement. It's not enough for it to move, it needs to lead the eye AWAY from the support to be good magic.
Ray Pierce
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » I guess Cee Lo Green is more magical than Dani Larry (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL