The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Q&A act 2000 by Bob Cassidy (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pourang65
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
192 Posts

Profile of pourang65
I just read the "Q&A act 2000" routine by Bob Cassidy, and I think it's a wonderful way to present this type of effect. It's actually a combinasion of a very convincing Q&A routine and the 3 envelope test (4th dimensional telepathy).

Just wanted to know if M. Cassidy still presents this effect the way it is written. As an after thought, dose the 4th dimensional telepathy (that is a very strong routine) in the middle of a Q&A routine lose its strenght.

Anyways, very interesting plot.
Thanks M. Cassidy (and happy birhtday by the way)

cheers
Pourang
Cheers
Pourang
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, I rarely do any Q and A routine exactly the same way twice. But I do follow the basic structure outlined in the book. And, no, the 4dt isn't weakened at all because, if you think about it, the audience perceives it to be three separate and distinct special tests interspersed throughout the Q and A. The entire sequence ends with the picture duplication thus giving a definite and powerful conclusion - something that most Q and A acts lack.

Good thoughts,

Bob
timski523
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, England
226 Posts

Profile of timski523
I hope you do not mind me asking. I am working on a small routine for a Q+A, I have not read Bob's yet, even though I do wish too, but I do not feel maybe I am at that level yet.I am working on one from Luke Jermay as it seemed a fairly good intodution into Q+A and as I develop and get better I can look further into it.
My one Question is this, what really do you think is the smallest amount of people you need watching to be able to preform Q+A?
Thanks for any help

Tim

PS, Actually I have two questions, after praticing at home loads of times reading through my own made script... how do I pratice for real? do I just go for it? I have just been booked for my biggest date to date in an upstairs of a pub. They have beeen doing comedey and music, and have asked me to do orginise a mentalist night there (with a few others)its not for 6 weeks but this could be an ideal oppotuinty for me to do this!
Lost in Thought
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Lost in Thought
Tim,

With any Q+A act, all you are essentially doing is reading a lot of people's thoughts (billets/envelopes etc.) at once - the psychological advantage you have in the traditional everyone-writes-questions format is that the entire audience should feel involved.

So... minimum number is really "one", maximum will depend primarily on time slot. I'd say you'd need at least five to make the exercise worth doing. A proper act will depend on the size of the audience and your slot, but it's a good ten-fifteen minute piece at least.

In terms of practising, there are plenty of Q+A methods that could be adapted to walkaround or in the magic bar - I'm not sure what Luke Jermay's routine involves, but there are plenty of methods out there to choose from. Given your own background, Bob Cassidy's "Scorpio's message" technique may be a very useful addition.

The main thing is working out how you're going to end - Q+A acts need a strong finish, and you can't just hope for something to fall into your lap.

For techniques like "Dynamite Mentalism", you'll need larger audiences - I haven't experimented to see how small you can get away with here.
pourang65
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
192 Posts

Profile of pourang65
Thanks M. Cassidy. I appreciate your answer.

Tim, mentalism is not like close up effects, you can not practice it in front of a mirror!!!!!! you have to practice it in your head again and again! and then go for it , I DID , if you are confident and beleive in what you do it will work and with experience you gain confidence. As in all magic or mentalism effects you never get the same reaction from your audience.

Good luck
Cheers
Pourang
Cheers
Pourang
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Tim,
personally, I would practice by doing. LIT suggests a minimum of 5 and I would preface this with a question.

how is your delivery of the information?

this is were I feel most performers fail. work on your delivery with 1 person till it is strong then add in another person. keep developing your delivery and engaging the participants. and as you get more skilled/ comfortable add in more people.

also, if your asking questions for a Q&A your not ready to do this on stage, so hold off doing this till your comfortable with the delivering of information.

it is in your benefit and the other performers to not bring new material to a new gig, if the gig flops because of a poor show the owners might not give mentalism another go.

so stick with your tried and true for now.
Lost in Thought
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Lost in Thought
Actually, I don't think Tim's delivery will be an issue (I've seen him perform, and I'm confident he can deliver a decent Q&A act). It's the dramatic structure and technique that may need support, if anything.
timski523
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, England
226 Posts

Profile of timski523
Ahh cheers for that and yep structure can be my weakness as I so often ( in most areas of my life!!) just sorta 'wing it' and ad lib it as it goes!
Rafael The Master Hypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
South East Asia
498 Posts

Profile of Rafael The Master Hypnotist
May I know where can I buy Bob Cassidy Q&A 2000 ?

I Google but no luck

Thank you
The BIGEST Room in the world is the Room for Improvement
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Try again!
Maybe you'll be luckier;-)
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
krakhead
View Profile
Regular user
I have built a fence, it has
126 Posts

Profile of krakhead
Quote:
On 2011-12-02 09:33, Rafael The Master Hypnotist wrote:

I Google but no luck

Thank you

I think this is what's being referred to -

http://www.lybrary.com/21st-century-p-17......rs_id=41

Or is sarcasm obligatory when someone requests advice? Smile Smile
He is a liar. The demon is a liar. He will lie to confuse us. But he will also mix lies with the truth to attack us. The attack is psychological and powerful. So don't listen to him. Remember that - do not listen
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I was just going to suggest the same link. Q&A 2000 was later updated to 21st Century Q&A. You might also want to check the section on Jazz Mentalism in "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy," which also deals with mixing methods and effects in a Q&A routine.

Best-

Bob
Rafael The Master Hypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
South East Asia
498 Posts

Profile of Rafael The Master Hypnotist
Quote:
On 2011-12-02 12:00, krakhead wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-12-02 09:33, Rafael The Master Hypnotist wrote:

I Google but no luck

Thank you

I think this is what's being referred to -

http://www.lybrary.com/21st-century-p-17......rs_id=41

Or is sarcasm obligatory when someone requests advice? Smile Smile

Hei its Parmenion, I wouldnt be so surprise with his sarcasm that is oh so witty

And Thank you to uncle Bob and Krakhead for the direction

The BIGEST Room in the world is the Room for Improvement
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Q&A act 2000 by Bob Cassidy (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL