We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Rainbow House Project (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Here are a few pics from my Rainbow House Project. I actually finished this up last year, and promised to post some pictures, but I am just getting around to it. Anyway, a thread about Krylon paint recently came up and the discussion brought this back to my memory.

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff127......20House/

Anyway, several years ago I had an idea for a routine with a Rainbow House. I planned the routine, and started gathering the props I would need. During this time I searched for a Rainbow House. I wanted an older, vintage model because they are built so much better than some of the newer models I have seen. Also, I had some modifications I wanted to do so I hoped to find an older one in bad condition. I kind of hated to buy a brand new prop and start chopping it up! Smile

It took a couple of years but I finally found what I wanted. I stripped the old finish and got down to work. Both panels of the hinged roof of the white house were badly warped, and they had to be repaired. I tried steaming them with a make-shift steam setup, and it worked at first, but the pieces eventually bowed again. The process got some of the bow out, but not nearly enough. I decided to make some new pieces for the white house roof.

I also removed the roof from the colored house, reinforced it, and hinged it to open as one piece. My routine required that I open the top of the colored house for the productions. I felt opening the roof in this manner was not as likely to give away any secrets.

I think those were the only physical modifications I made. The rest was just with the paint. I tried to repaint the houses close to original way. However, Red, Yellow, & Blue is the color theme for the entire routine, so I did tweak the look of the colored house a bit.

I changed the look of the tube a lot. I needed to paint the tube different on both sides. I felt my routine worked best like this, and it also gave me a reason for turning the tube. So, when my routine begins I start with the Rainbow House tube starts out with a dreary scene. Gray skies....no sunshine or flowers, etc.

Then as the routine progresses, I turn the tube and on there is a bright scene on the other side. Blue skies, sunshine, flowers, doves, and a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end. At the end I produce a real pot of gold (among other things) from the colored house.

Anyway, I chose to use Krylon paints simply because they were the only brand with enough color choices for my project. I wanted to use lacquer, and I was aware that Krylon had recently changed their formula. I was concerned about this, but I really had no other choice... or none that I could find anyway.

After stripping and sanding I used a grain filler, wood putty, and a sanding sealer before I ever started painting. The original paint had sank into the wood grain badly! I am sure they must have used a lacquer paint. I did not want this to happen again, and even though Krylon says their paint is no longer lacquer, I did not want to take any chances. The main issue I had with the new Krylon paint is wrinkling. I did have a few problems with that, and even had to sand and repaint the green base at some point.

One thing I tried that I had never done before was to blend colors. I used several colors (including 2 shades of gray) for the gray sky, several for the blue sky (including 2-3 shades of blue) and several colors for the grass (including 3-4 greens and a couple of browns) altogether. I tried to make the rainbow side a little brighter since the sun was shining, so the combination of paints for the grass are different on each side.

Another thing I love about my Rainbow House is that the interiors of all surfaces of both houses and the tube are completely lined. It makes it so much more deceptive! It also makes it smooth and quite! No worries about scratching the surface either! I also used industrial strength Velcro, and I applied it in the most deceptive way I possibly could.

Anyway, here it is. I apologize for taking so long to keep my promise. It was a project that took years to complete! When I was ready to paint the details I lost my guideline sheet. I had taken very comprehensive measurements of every line, including the thickness of each line, etc., but I lost them. I ended up going back to some photos of the original paint job, and went by them as best I could.

By the way, I searched for those blasted measurements forever. Altogether, it delayed my project about 2-3 months. Finally, I was running out of time for some upcoming shows and I had to go ahead with it. Those papers with all my measurements finally turned up....several months after I finished the project....in one of my wife's cookbooks!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Extreme home makeover! Great job, Regan!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MuleePete
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of MuleePete
Very nicely done! I like the viberant look as well as the different ending you have created.

Pete
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Excellent! What's a rainbow without some rain, and rain without some umbrellas? Good theming.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Lots of music possibilities, too. All the way from "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", and "Singing in the Rain", to Rihanna's "Umbrella"!

Man, I can think of a ton of music that would fit this routine!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks guys. It turned out ok, and gave me what I needed. Micheal, you already hit it the musical nail on the head. The main theme song I use is "Over The Rainbow". I put together a medley of sorts with a few versions of that song. I also did a lot of editing to the music for the routine, so there is emphasis on certain magical moments. I also start out with on old scratchy recording that I actually recorded from an old 45 record player that I had when I was a kid. I put the recording on CD, but in the routine I actually show the real 45 record, place it on the old 45 player, and start it up. The low-fi sound (complete with pops and crackles) is heard as I place the needle onto the record, so I have to time that part correctly. As the magic begins to happen the updated, high-fi sound fades in and overtakes the old recording.

I made a closing routine out of this. Of course, the Rainbow House is kind of the center point of the whole routine, but at the same time it is really only a small part. The entire routine uses a whole lot of different props. I have a ton of money in it, but I think it was worth it. I only use it larger shows, so it's not used all the time. It takes the audience back to my childhood, my love of magic, my dreams of growing up and becoming a magician, etc. People seem to like it a lot.
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I think you have a real centerpiece for your show!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
This looks great -- can you give us a little outline of the routine?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bill, I would not want to give the routine away. Besides it would take a lot of typing!

I will list the props required. You can probably get an idea of the routine from this.

Rainbow House (Custom painted, with some modifications)
Old 45 Record Player (Operational, but modified)
Custom gimmicked Top Hat
Tube that will unroll to reveal a scene that matches scene painted on the Rainbow House
45 RPM record of Judy Garland's, "Over The Rainbow"
Custom recording of a medley of various versions "Over The Rainbow"
Photo Album
Duke's Dye-Version gimmick
Red, Yellow & Blue Parasol
18" Silks (3 Red, 3 Yellow, 3 Blue, 3 Black)
18" Silk (Over The Rainbow)
36" Silk (Red, Yellow, Blue)
36" Tie-dye Silk (Red, Yellow, Blue)
Set of Color-changing Records
Custom made "Rainbow" Record Sleeve
Custom made Color Changing Foulard (Black, Red, Yellow, Blue)
Flower Bouquets (1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Blue)
Flower Bouquets (2 Red, Yellow & Blue)
Stand To Hold Records
Stand to hold Flower Bouquets
Tie-Dye Streamer
Cast Iron Pot (I searched everywhere trying to find the right size!)
Lots, and lots, of plastic "Gold" Coins
6" Yellow, Sponge Ball
Custom Silk Fountain (Made from 24" Silks; Red, Yellow, Blue)
Bulldog Clip
2 Rubber Bands
MP3/CD Player
"Drop/Ditch" Box
Several Tables!
Dove & Accessories (Optional)

I'm probably leaving something out, but that's what comes to mind. It is a complicated routine that requires a lot of props. It took me a lot of years to plan and write the routine, round up all the props it requires, not to mention choreographing and perfecting it. I love the routine, but I only do it at certain shows.
Mister Mystery
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi Regan, wow that looks like an entire show! I asked because my daughter has a nice wooden doll house she doesn't play with any more, and I have been pondering what could be done with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Rainbow House Project (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL