We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The worlds most dangerous job (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
http://youtu.be/XzgAm1tyo1g

scarry......................
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
..."No man, YOU were supposed to bring the new bulb." Smile
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I find it hard to believe that they "free climb". Can anyone verify this?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-06-27 00:10, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

I find it hard to believe that they "free climb". Can anyone verify this?

John

Sounds like some do. Whether they are supposed to or not.

Related, as some of you likely know, that video was posted all over the place a little while back and it spread like wild fire. The original poster took it down off of his site, but of course he can't remove it from the web. But this is an archived message about it from the original poster:

---

First off I want to thank everyone for the great response I got on the video “Stairway to Heaven”, it was really much more than I could have hoped for. Now, having said that I am also very sorry that I could not keep the video up for you to share with your friends and family. I truly am sorry, I can see from the comments how popular it was and that’s why I want to explain what happened.

The footage of the climb came from a friend of mine that does this type of work, I have know him for several years and he has helped me many times in the past. Recently he gave me this video he shot on one of his jobs. I showed him the edited video and he approved it and I put it up on TheOnLineEngineer.Org and You Tube over the weekend. On Monday he was getting calls from colleagues telling him that they were concerned about what the video showed. His world is a very small one, and you don’t want to bite the hand that feeds you! Some facility owners are pretty uptight about liability and such and may not hire him if they think he does not take safety seriously.

So he asked me to take it down, and I did. That was Monday morning (Sep 13, 2010). Today (Sep 15) he told me it was up on You Tube, by the time I looked at it it had over 77,000 views. It was on more than a dozen websites. The chance that someone important would see it was increasing rapidly. So the video most of you saw was one that had been ripped off from my website before I took it down. I wrote asking the guy who put it up to take it down but got no response so I contacted You Tube.

Once again I am sorry about pulling the video, I know that every time I looked at it my legs got weak, there’s no way I could do that type of work. AND that's MY POINT – I need this guy who made the video, we plan to do more of them, but it won’t happen if he can’t get work because he’s been black listed by the industry. He’s also my friend and I don’t want to see him get hurt because of some video I put up on the internet.

We have had two offers to broadcast this video, a request to submit it to a film festival in France, over 118,000 views on You Tube. This was all much more than we had ever planned for or thought would happen.

AS SOON AS WE CAN WE WILL HAVE MORE VIDEOS ABOUT TOWER CLIMBING, in the mean time please be patient.

And once again thank you for all the comments.

--Russ

TheOnLineEngineer.Org
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Not this guy.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
How do they pee?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It was making me squeazy watching this. Could you imagine seeing this in IMAX? They'd be cleaning puke out of the aisles at every showing.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
There was a tv show on Discovery (I think) were a guy went around the country doing differant jobs like that. I remember one show were he helped people clean electrical power lines from a helicopter, very interesting show.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Of course, I remember the idiots who would go stand on the edge of a thin rock at the Grand Canyon. Not this guy.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
If it paid well, I'd do it for a while just for the thrill of it. However, I'm with John, I find it hard to believe that they free climb any of it.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
In case anyone missed it at the start, he does take an elevator up the first 1600 of the 1768 foot tower.

I don't find the free climbing all that unbelievable. I wouldn't do it. But many steel workers on high rise towers ignore the safety rules and refuse to wear safety harnesses, and I would consider that line of work far more dangerous than what was shown in this video.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/nyregion/20safety.html

And let's not even get onto the subject of hockey players who refuse to wear helmets. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The worlds most dangerous job (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL