The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Where do you store your money? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Richard L.
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Richard L.
Hi everybody.

I've just recently started street performing and am having a blast. I just have a question for you all regarding where you put your hat money after each show. I am hesitant to put it in with my props because I set my bag on the ground sometimes and although I know it is unlikely, someone could walk off with it.

So, where do you store your money?
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of Bobby Maverick
I aint tellin you....

:)
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
In my pants pocket until I get to my car or bicycle. Perhaps one day it will be so much that my pocket won't hold it. Smile
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I prefer the tip jar. I liken it to the ABC's of sales ... "always be closing". When people walk-up, they see the tip jar ... I am closing from the moment they see my "stage". And it's a large jar so I don't need to do anything with it through-out the night.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Usualy I put it in the pouch... I only be happy whem my cervical start to bend... I'm not totaly happy with this one... but
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Pouch, pocket, tip jar, & top secret location.

Good grief
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
If you have a bag, tie it to your table. It's easy to grab and run. Not so easy with a table dragging behind you.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Great pick Jazzy! And a great idea. Money can be replaced but I love my bag.

Who let Charlie Brown in here?
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Has anyone actually had there money stolen while performing on the streets????????????????
No I heard of or I know of.....but actually had it happen to them!

Personally if someone grabbed my stuff, I'd be far more concerned about loosing my props than the hard earned cash.

Dump your cash in with your stuff, don't make it too obvious, and keep it near you. That's it.
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
I rememeber reading somewhere (perhaps Grooves book) a sugestion of stuffing the paper money in an envelope addressed to yourself and putting it in a mailbox between shows.

PFFFFFFFT!!!!!
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
One guy created a diversion while another grabbed my gaffed coins once
but that's all.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Richard L.
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Richard L.
Thanks for the info everybody. I just didn't know what other people did. Maybe I shouldn't be so worried about it. I don't know.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
My grey bag (the one I carry the bucket out in) has a zippered compartment at the bottom (Since it's lined, I assume it's for bathing suits and/or wet towels).
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
A rather dubious looking "charity collector" y'know, the ones with the dog eared, laminated id cards who operate in gangs, collect for the local dogs' home and dissappear when the police are around, once asked me where I keep my money. A rather suspicious, leading question if you ask me.
I told him I kept it in the bank like everyone else... then quickly changed the subject and let a little glimmer of madness escape my eye. He didn't pursue his line of enquiry.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Our busking pouches have a zipper pocket in the back toward the body that is unseen. It's there specifically for:
1. putting the money during a show until you find a safer place.
2. putting trinkets between shows you you don't lose them (tt, coin purse, sharpie, ..)
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Yeah, I've been robbed once. Not big time i.e. not my days' takings. I was working on a street and high school kids appeared, making their way home from school. A group of about 8 boys gathered around, too close to me and my gear for comfort, and I was back-on to the street, on the footpath/pavement. One or two of the guys were standing right alongside me - uncomfortably close - and others talking in a small group in front of me. Soon afterwards a few of them walked off. I got control of those left , making them step back further and I did a bit of magic. I looked down at my hat and my $5 note [with a coin selotaped onto it to hold it down in windy conditions] that I put in the hat as an encourager for donations [I can't think of the name for that encourager at the moment - somebody remind me...], well the money was gone! I couldn't tell who had lifted it. I told the group around me "Pretty mean of somebody to take my pay!".
I put the event down to the fact that I was maturing in my Street Magic life.

Usually, I tuck my notes into a pocket at the back of my waistbag as I get them, or soon after, and just leave coins in the hat. Every so often I pick up most of the coins and put them away. I got warned by a security fellow to watch my hat, as sometimes it can be stolen by someone who grabs it and runs off to pocket the money. After than, I got myself a cheap hat that I put down on the ground got my money and keep my good hat on my head. A guitarist busker who works the area does that too.
The presentation makes the magic.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Correction: "After that, I got myself a cheap hat that I put down on the ground FOR my money..."
The presentation makes the magic.
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
To add to what Joe Joe posted, working 42nd Street, in the 80's, I took a leap of faith and kept my tips in a large wooden patra, or alms bowl, on the sidewalk in front of me. It was always in the corner of my eye. It was always in the corner of the audience's eye. I think it added a little to the tension and humor of my show. Everyone knew it was crazy to leave money on the sidewalk in NY. Like the elephant in the room, it was always there and I think it cut down on my need to use hat lines.

I always closed every fifteen minute set with some Ianuki, a sword trick/escape. (Try working on the street in NYC today with even a prop sword today, LOL!) When I was tied up, I would hop around with the bowl, admonishing the specs to tip before I finished and they ran off. That was just for laughs, I always passed the bowl after closing.

I noted at the time all the musicians who left music cases out, all the mimes leaving hats out, working for the trickle. I knew it could be done. I got some trickle too. I had regulars who knew my routines. They would stop by on lunch just to watch the improve and clowning I did with volunteers. They would leave for work before I closed, dropping money in the bowl on the way.

Not telling anyone how to work. Just sharing what worked for me. I never let the tips leave my sight. I worked that into my show. I never had a problem.
aka Mike Booth
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Quote:
On 2011-06-30 01:44, MagiCol wrote:
$5 that I put in the hat as an encourager for donations [I can't think of the name for that encourager at the moment - somebody remind me

"seed" or "seeding" the hat in order to grow it
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Where do you store your money? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL