The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » HELP with effect please. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrGoodkin
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of DrGoodkin
Hi everyone,

I don't remember the name of this effect. I'm sure I read it in an old book and I'd appreciate some help. The magician shows a garotte with a wooden bead or button tied to each end of the string. He wraps it around his neck (or a spectator's wrist) and snaps it taut and it penetrates directly through his neck. This is NOT the "sawing" effect. I've been scouring my old books and I can't find the source.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
- Sincerely,

Dr Goodkin
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
I learned that one probably 60 years ago, with a loop of string and two paperclips. And I haven't seen it since! I do have a vague recollection of seeing the same thing done with a single length of cord and a couple of beads, but I don't remember where. I'll keep an eye out for it....

Murf
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
A magic friend of mine made me on when I left the UK to go travlleing. I don't know were ecatly he got it from but I know it was from Jeff Mc Bride. I don't know if its in print or on a DVD or just pasted on.

I carry mine as a braclet all the time and use it once or twic a week.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Peter Loughran sells the Iron Garotte.It might be what you are looking for.
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I remember Bill Dunbaugh (PNP/S.A.M.) publishing the paper clip effect in M.U.M. sometime in the 1970's or so. He said someone casually showed it to him at Abbott's Get-Together and he was publishing it for posterity because it was too good to become forgotten...

Julie
DrGoodkin
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of DrGoodkin
The version I remember had beads or buttons....I'm still paging through old books.
- Sincerely,

Dr Goodkin
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I believe Jeff McBride put this out on "Magic from the Edge" and L&L DVD Showing Jeff and Abbey at the Burning Man gathering in the desert. It was in the form of a bracelet.

Let's see if we can get some corroboration.

-Mary Mowder
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Is this it Mary?
Jeff McBride - Magic At The Edge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ZpAo9CSZ4

Jamie D. Grant, a Café member, markets something very similar that goes through the wrist.
You might contact him. I forgot the name of it but it looked good.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yep, that's it. Thanks Jazzy.

-Mary
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I am not old enough to remember the actual release of the MUM article with the paper clips, but I have seen it performed in my day. This would be fun to add to my repertoire because it fits very well, in so many different ways, into storytelling magic!

Thank you Jazzy - I will look Jamie up on here and inquire about it!
DrGoodkin
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of DrGoodkin
I'm sure it's in an old book, using beads or buttons. I just can't find it. Any other ideas ?
- Sincerely,

Dr Goodkin
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I have a couple of people in mind that I am going to ask to see if they know anything, then I will post the results.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I decided to check the site Jeff McBride has for his Mystery School (an extremely fun and educational place/event!) and I found his version for sale. The link should take you straight to the effect, which is called Ritual of Liberation. Here is the link:

http://www.yourmagic.com/catalog/product......ts_id=56

Also, Jaime Grant alerted me to another version from Andreas Minz. He said he is sold out of that version, but he did say to try and find Andreas on Facebook to ask him if he has any more.

I know I am ordering the McBride version for myself, and I hope this information is useful to you!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2011-06-28 00:40, DrGoodkin wrote:
The version I remember had beads or buttons....I'm still paging through old books.

Hello again Smile Although I imagine this basic effect is adequately described in many different books, I did find it in a relatively recent British publication--a large format coffee table size book designed for the masses-- entitled THE PRACTICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MAGIC by one Nicholas Einhorn. Published by Hermes House "...an imprint of Anness Publishing Ltd. / London..." (no date)* There is a note stating it was "previously published as THE ART OF MAGIC."

The entire book 9" X 12" 256 pages is beautifully produced complete with over 120 tricks professionally illustrated throughout by the outstanding photography of John Freeman.

You'll find String Through Arm (version 2) using a string/cord and two beads thoroughly explained complete with pictures on page #156.

I THINK this book was remaindered at one of the big box stores at one time or another.

*CORRECTION: There is a copyright note = Anness Publishing Ltd 2002, 2003, 2006

AHA> I've just found an even more recent jumbo Nicholas Einhorn book from the same publisher (but this one was printed in China) that appears to combine the book noted above with another of his bringing the total to a a whopping 512 pages! The title here is THE ULTIMATE COMPENDIUM OF MAGIC TRICKS.

This one has the same layout and description of the string trick on page #234.

'Hope this helps.

Julie
DrGoodkin
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of DrGoodkin
I'll check it out.
Thanks !!
- Sincerely,

Dr Goodkin
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-06-29 03:32, Julie wrote:

Hello again Smile Although I imagine this basic effect is adequately described in many different books, I did find it in a relatively recent British publication--a large format coffee table size book designed for the masses-- entitled THE PRACTICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MAGIC by one Nicholas Einhorn. Published by Hermes House "...an imprint of Anness Publishing Ltd. / London..." (no date)* There is a note stating it was "previously published as THE ART OF MAGIC."

The entire book 9" X 12" 256 pages is beautifully produced complete with over 120 tricks professionally illustrated throughout by the outstanding photography of John Freeman.

You'll find String Through Arm (version 2) using a string/cord and two beads thoroughly explained complete with pictures on page #156.

I THINK this book was remaindered at one of the big box stores at one time or another.

*CORRECTION: There is a copyright note = Anness Publishing Ltd 2002, 2003, 2006

AHA> I've just found an even more recent jumbo Nicholas Einhorn book from the same publisher (but this one was printed in China) that appears to combine the book noted above with another of his bringing the total to a a whopping 512 pages! The title here is THE ULTIMATE COMPENDIUM OF MAGIC TRICKS.

This one has the same layout and description of the string trick on page #234.

'Hope this helps.

Julie

I will have to look that up - thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » HELP with effect please. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL