The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Contents of bird cage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lou Cirulli
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of Lou Cirulli
Hi everyone. What items should I put in the doves cage? I don't want them to get bored! Currently the only things I have in there are a cuttlebone and millet spray. Is there anything else I can put in there for their entertainment? A mirror or bells or something? Thanks!

Lou
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22838 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you intend to use these birds for magic shows, then do not put anything else in the cage. Just take them out every day and exercise them and get them use to the apparatus they will be used in for the show.

You can get plastic split rings used for knitting. These come in different sizes. Place them on there leg. Right for male and left for female. Now you will have color coded birds that can be used for specific tricks.

Mirrors are a bad idea as they can see the bird in the mirror as a potential love or an enemy. This just upsets the bird, whichever way they see the bird in the mirror.

I used to have these things and they lose interest rather fast with the dangling stuff.

If you work with your birds daily, then there is not need for such things.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5169 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Lou, doves are very different from parakeets and parrots. They have no interest in toys. Wmhegbli is correct about the mirror. They don't like them. If your cage is large enough for them to fly in, they will fly straight into a mirror.
Where the magic begins
Lou Cirulli
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of Lou Cirulli
Thanks Wmhegbli and Dave!!! All the information you guys have given to me is invaluable! I appreciate all your help!!

Lou
Libis
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Libis
Once in a long while my ringnecks will play with this little ball (I think it's a cat toy) that has a bell inside and a twine-wrapped outside. Sometimes they like toys with beads on them to peck at, but make sure the beads can't come off and be eaten.
My diamond doves like to preen their fuzzy tent and play on the swing. The ringnecks never showed interest in those.

None of my doves ever touch a cuttlebone. They get their calcium in their grit.
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien
igr8mgkman
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of igr8mgkman
I had my doves for 13 yrs I never had toys or anything in their cages they were in pairs and that's all they needed. they had a cuttle bone and millet spray. a bowl with nesting material and used wild bird seed with vitamins added to the mix!
Mattia
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Mattia
One day I decided to put a swing inside my dove's cage. Some days later I saw one of my doves trying to remove it from the perch where I put it. The only thing I suggest is to use a big cage where they can fly. They only like flying and perching:if they can do this, they won't get bored.
Libis
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Libis
Quote:
On 2011-07-01 09:47, mattia wrote:
One day I decided to put a swing inside my dove's cage. Some days later I saw one of my doves trying to remove it from the perch where I put it. The only thing I suggest is to use a big cage where they can fly. They only like flying and perching:if they can do this, they won't get bored.

Yeah I agree. That, and socializing with each other.
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien
paradize
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
398 Posts

Profile of paradize
Doves are not like parrots where they get entertained by toys,colourful objects,bells,ropes etc.

Give them a big cage for flying around. Their entertainment is their partner.
Magic is the residue of pre-design fantasies.
Come into my Fantasy www.chandranmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Contents of bird cage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL