The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Let's see your magic library. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Thanks Harry. I just got Rim Shots. I'll look it up.

Very happy that we've found a topic we can all agree is pretty cool.
nooner
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of nooner
Phil - Your books look very well read. It's nice to see some shiny new books on someone's shelf with pristine dust jackets, but it is much more telling and impressive when you can see that the books have been well handled out of love for the craft. I am in awe of your collection.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Most of my books are shiny because, after buying so many from John Greget, I got in the habit of putting dust jacket protectors on. The Magic Menu and Elmsley look very tattered up close Smile
JCheng
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of JCheng
Where do you get dust jacket protectors?
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I picked mine up at a second-hand bookstore, about 10 cents per cover. Amazon has them, too.
JCheng
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of JCheng
Quote:
On 2011-07-01 00:31, Josh Chaikin wrote:
I picked mine up at a second-hand bookstore, about 10 cents per cover. Amazon has them, too.

Thank you.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Here's my library:
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Dr. JK,

I don't know if you realize this or not but your library contains EVERY magic book, pamphlet, journal, and lecture note EVER written in American Standard English - and ALL in ONE book!! Smile

Of course the trick is to re-order the words to what you need Smile

Nice library! It's good to see Tarbell displayed proudly at the top! I need to do photos of my library but in my flat I have few book shelves and WAY too many books to fit them on. Still seeking a creative solution that won't break the bank. I know that Wal-Mart and Target sell bookshelves but they require assembly and I am the only male I know that possess NO tools Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Thanks, Vlad! You know you're responsible for most of my library! Prior to PMing you, I had only Magic of Michael Ammar, New Modern Coin Magic, Royal Road to Card Magic. LOL. Compare that to what I have now!!!

Tarbell is on top for a reason, but then after that, the books are arranged alphabetically by author's last name. Smile

BTW, the bookcases you see in the photo are from IKEA and are very affordable. They do require assembly, but they come with the hex key required. I highly recommend them, and they're designed so that you can buy different sizes. Just an idea for you!

Thanks again for your advice in that PM. I took what you said and ran with it. Smile
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Top Shelf- The Lorayne Collection
Can't figure out how to put picture in post.

Click here to view attached image.
Duderino
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Duderino
Quote:
On 2011-06-30 15:32, IllusionsMichael wrote:
I had the same realization, diehards. I was actually a little proud to take a picture of my collection, and it's probably the smallest one posted here!

I know how you feel--looking at these great collections. If only I had stayed with magic from when I began about 36 years ago. I lost a few books along the way and somehow held onto parts of books that had fallen apart but didn't really begin collecting again until a few years ago. I get one or two books a year which is all I can afford with two kids in college. Since I'm just a hobbyist, I think that's okay. And frankly, I probably have more books with my modest collection than I'll ever need. I'll never even master the Card College series much less the effects in Collected Almanac or the AOA series. I have plenty to keep busy.

But I love books and the only DVD I own is a Bannon packet trick DVD.

Be proud of the collection you have. And maybe just a little envious of some of the others. I am.

I have a "hot" list of books that I have prioritized. If I get those--and yes, it keeps growing---I'll be happy.
Axelchen
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
... Hi Leo!
Boah! Thank you for posting this collection-picture: it´s the first time I see Harrys Second Volume of Best of Friends and what a big book the Personal-Collection is! Don´t want to imagine what I miss between these covers!

Best regards,
Axel
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Not rubbing it in Axel honestly. I do have vol.2 of BoF and it is a great book. I hope that Mr. Lorayne will consider republishing it. I got VERY lucky a few years back and literally got the last copy Tannen's had. The demand for this book is high and deservedly so.

Jeff,

You are most welcome for that PM! And thanks for letting me know about IKEA. Allen wrenches and such I DO have because I am a keyboardist and keyboard stands DO require assembly - especially to hold these Sherman tanks I have.

It really is an unbearable situation because I will see a post here referencing a book and it never fails that said book is in a hard to reach place. Ah well, one more year and I am in the Netherlands and first thing before my g/f moves HER stuff in is that I create my magic/music area. (Just don't tell her.)

BTW Jeff, PM me please? I have an extra copy of a book I do NOT see on your shelf that you DEFINITELY should have and if you pay shipping, it is YOURS. It is in GREAT condition and it is one of the most important magic books extant.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Nate Green
View Profile
New user
Working my way past
75 Posts

Profile of Nate Green
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
Quote:
On 2011-07-03 01:37, Nate Green wrote:
Here is my modest library.
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu85/......s004.jpg

The Rubiks Cube is the first thing I saw.
I am a master at it too! (Was, didn't practise for more than 2 years already).
Nate Green
View Profile
New user
Working my way past
75 Posts

Profile of Nate Green
Hugokhf,

I have not mastered the cube as of yet and while I know it isn't a magic prop, it just seemed appropriate to store it there.
octave
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of octave
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
Quote:
On 2011-07-03 10:08, octave wrote:
Here's mine:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2017/img2167c.jpg

how come you have many single book in a series? why not get them all?

also, I noticed there was paper engine in ur collection, is it worth buying?
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Quote:
On 2011-07-02 20:11, Axelchen wrote:
... Hi Leo!
Boah! Thank you for posting this collection-picture: it´s the first time I see Harrys Second Volume of Best of Friends and what a big book the Personal-Collection is! Don´t want to imagine what I miss between these covers!

Best regards,
Axel

Hi Axel
Got very very lucky on both of them.The Personal Collection is a wealth of card tricks.
I have a OCD on sets.

Best
Leo Jr
octave
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of octave
Quote:
On 2011-07-03 11:40, Hugokhf wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-03 10:08, octave wrote:
Here's mine:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2017/img2167c.jpg

how come you have many single book in a series? why not get them all?

also, I noticed there was paper engine in ur collection, is it worth buying?

Thanks for asking,

Most of the books in collection are used books bought from Café members and auction sites. Since I already have C.U.C.M I did not purchase classic collection 1 and instead got classic collection 2. The Ps2 was a great deal so even though I didn't have PS1 I got it. Getting all volumes of Apocalypse and Art of Astonishment is an affordability issue. Since international shipping is expensive I need to save and wait for the right deal to come by.
Regarding Paper Engine: It is a good book, but definitely not a must have.

-octave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Let's see your magic library. (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL