The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How to Deal With people with a mental handicap (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
From time to time they appear, some are easy to deal, some of them ask for money... sometimes the crowd put them in order...

Once, I watch one street performer putting one down with some jokes... the crowd where enjoing the show, but after that I feel that they atart to hate the performer because of that...

Once, I ended the show and I found the funniest guy with mental problems I hace ever saw, he was asking for one euro, like GIVE ME ONE EURO, GIVE ONE EURO, GIVE ME ONE EURO, he could not shut up... so I give him one euro, only because he could not shut up and he was very very funny, I believe he had a little of down's syndrome or something like that... after that he did exactly the same with other guy and so on...

How to Deal With people with a mental handicap in the crowd?

I would like to hear your thoughts, jokes, sugestions, stories, etc...

Tank you in advance

Eduardo
Chopingboard
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Chopingboard
I'm not sure it is something you should use jokes for. Maybe treat them like people and it won't be a problem.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Eduardo
This is a sensitive and complex issue and you have approached the topic with respect.
Choppingboard makes an excellent point, people with a disability of any kind are just that - people first.
It is no wonder that the performer who made jokes (I presume) about the person with the disability (and making fun of them) lost the respect and the potential money from his audience.
Most people have a personal connection with someone who has a disability whether it be them-self, friends, family or neighbors etc - so to ridicule a person from this section of any society will offend many in your audience.
Jokes that put the person down and ridicule them are not appropriate and will not help your situation.

To address the rest of you original post question:
"How to Deal With people with a mental handicap in the crowd?"
I understand here that your concern is about a person who is causing a problem for your performance in a similar way to:
# A drunk person
# Or perhaps a rowdy group of teenagers affected by to much red bull drink and peer group pressure
# Or even an 8 year old whose uncle showed them a "TT" and they call out something unhelpful as you do your best silk vanish

These people have at least one thing in common - they all have poor social skills (reflected in unhelpful behavior).
It is unlikely that you will be able to help them develop more appropriate social behavior as a result of interacting with you in your street performance.

From my experience
I treat any person with poor social skills with a mix of respect and caution (any person with poor social skills can be a bit unpredictable).

For the exhibitors of poor social skill listed above I expect that we have all developed methods of dealing with them (and some times some humor with some in those groups can be effective).

However for a person with a disability (that appears to be affecting their social skills) I do my best to keep them on side. And if I can develop a connection I may even invite them to play a part as a volunteer where they are able to be seen in a positive light by the rest of the audience - if this does happen I am sure to make my instructions very clear and simple. Or I will make a point to interact with them after the show. I have found that being openly accepting of people with a disability and including them can help them to feel more relaxed in this unusual social setting (the street performance)and can help the rest of the audience to feel more relaxed as well.

And just like working with drunks (or any one else with poor social skills) I recognize there are times when our interaction is not going to result in a positive environment conductive to my entertainment being enjoyed by an audience. If that is the case then it may be time for the modified version of the show and allowing that person to move on and then start again.

Thanks for your question Eduardo - as I reflected on it I realised that there was some depth of feeling on the issue for me.
I hope my reflections are of some value.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
There was a time when I thought I was dealing with a drunk in a darkened theater and come to find out it was a person that was challenged in another way. No one was offended by my behavior but me. I wasn't that hard on him but I wouldn't have said a thing if I knew.

Another time I had a heckler and I thought he was mentally challenged. Come to find out he was drunk. The management didn't say anything but I bet they would have liked for me to have taken care of it from stage.

My point being before we cast stones at entertainers who have had such challenge's during a show perhaps we don't understand what was going on in their mind. It's easy to point out other's mistakes. I've had my share. It's called live theater for a reason.

I'm sure you saw his audience turn on him. So he dealt with it wrong. Who knows what was going on in his head. So much to think about.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Rotten
That is a helpful perspective - it is not always simple and straight forward.
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Quote:
On 2011-07-01 01:13, Rotten wrote:

My point being before we cast stones at entertainers who have had such challenge's during a show perhaps we don't understand what was going on in their mind. It's easy to point out other's mistakes. I've had my share. It's called live theater for a reason.

I'm sure you saw his audience turn on him. So he dealt with it wrong. Who knows what was going on in his head. So much to think about.

I'm not crucifying anyone... I like this guy, and after his circular show, we talk a lot and take one beer...

I believe his jokes were funny in Argentina or Venezuela, but no so funny in Portugal...
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Olá Eduardo! Esperamos que o meu texto no português é apoiado em aqui para você para ler...
"Rotten" e "troppobob" têm o conselho muito bom nos seus correios. Há um tempo correto e um tempo incorreto para dizer certas coisas à gente, como bêbados, perguntadores enfadonhos, et cetera.

Como foi dito anteriormente, a gente com habilidades pobres sociais é muito imprevisível. Você deve tentar adivinhar a sua personalidade sem qualquer informação deles. A sua pergunta é uma pergunta muito boa, e de qualquer maneira, única.
Como você está executando o teatro vivo, você tem de fazer juízos casuais. Eles não sempre serão os melhores.

Para aquela gente com a capacidade social limitada, tente executar a magia com uma conspiração simples e estacas simples. Por isto, penso que você deve tentar e encontrar algo que é mais fácil para eles compreender. Sigo uma regra simples: não os desafie.

Sempre que possível, implique-os na magia. Deixe-os fazer a magia. Para ver se será possível, você tem de adivinhar a sua personalidade primeiro. Se você não puder fazer isto, ou você não é a realização cômoda assim, faz o possível para agradecê-los e partir.

Para perguntadores enfadonhos e bêbados, aprenda algumas réplicas engenhosas e use-os cuidadosamente. Partida sendo bonito. Se eles não pararem, tente inverter a situação: Você fica o perguntador enfadonho. Você seria surpreso como fácil deve virar um público contra um desordeiro. Novamente, tenha cuidado com as suas palavras. A cortesia vai longe, até com a pior gente.

A única coisa que lhe ensinará como tratar esses tipos de situações é a experiência. Lembre-se, o que ofende uma pessoa pode ser hilário ao outro. Esteja gentil, ser cortês e divertir-se.

Espero que esta informação seja útil para você.
----
For those of you that do not speak Portuguese - my post:

Hello Eduardo! Hopefully my text in Portuguese survives on here for you to read...
'Rotten' and 'troppobob' have very good advice in their posts. There is a correct time and a wrong time for saying certain things to people, such as drunkards, hecklers, et cetera.

As it was said previously, the people with poor social skills are very unpredictable. You must try to guess their personality without any information about them as a person. Your question is a very good question, and somehow, unique. Because you are performing live theater, you have to make random judgements. They will not always be the best.

For those people with limited social ability, try to perform magic with a simple plot and simple props. By that, I mean you should try and find something that is easier for them to comprehend. I follow one simple rule: Do NOT challenge them.

If at all possible, involve them in the magic. Let them make the magic. In order to see if that will be possible, you have to guess their personality first. If you cannot do that, or you are not comfortable doing so, do your best to thank them and walk away.

For hecklers and drunkards, learn some witty retorts and use them carefully. Start by being nice. If they do not stop, try reversing the situation: You become the heckler. You would be surprised how easy it is to turn an audience against a troublemaker.

The only thing that will teach you how to handle these types of situations is experience. Remember, what offends one person may be hilarious to another. Be kind, be courteous and have fun.

I hope this information is useful to you.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Que tal se todos escrevemos em Portugues?
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I posted in Portuguese with the hope of making it easier for Eduardo to better understand my input, with a translation for those who do not speak the language as a courtesy.
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Unfortunetly, I know my english is so poor as your portuguese... Smile but I'm working it... I'm avoiding use electronic traductors to learn something... you make my day, when I read your post it was like surrealism... you were really writing in portuguese, tank you... I'm feeling so special... if I would be with you, I kiss you...

I know that's some good advive in this posts... things are always under our nose, we need all the time someone to remember us...

smile and be happy

Eduardo
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Quote:
On 2011-07-01 00:09, troppobob wrote:
G'day Eduardo
This is a sensitive and complex issue and you have approached the topic with respect.
Choppingboard makes an excellent point, people with a disability of any kind are just that - people first.
It is no wonder that the performer who made jokes (I presume) about the person with the disability (and making fun of them) lost the respect and the potential money from his audience.
Most people have a personal connection with someone who has a disability whether it be them-self, friends, family or neighbors etc - so to ridicule a person from this section of any society will offend many in your audience.
Jokes that put the person down and ridicule them are not appropriate and will not help your situation.

To address the rest of you original post question:
"How to Deal With people with a mental handicap in the crowd?"
I understand here that your concern is about a person who is causing a problem for your performance in a similar way to:
# A drunk person
# Or perhaps a rowdy group of teenagers affected by to much red bull drink and peer group pressure
# Or even an 8 year old whose uncle showed them a "TT" and they call out something unhelpful as you do your best silk vanish

These people have at least one thing in common - they all have poor social skills (reflected in unhelpful behavior).
It is unlikely that you will be able to help them develop more appropriate social behavior as a result of interacting with you in your street performance.

From my experience
I treat any person with poor social skills with a mix of respect and caution (any person with poor social skills can be a bit unpredictable).

For the exhibitors of poor social skill listed above I expect that we have all developed methods of dealing with them (and some times some humor with some in those groups can be effective).

However for a person with a disability (that appears to be affecting their social skills) I do my best to keep them on side. And if I can develop a connection I may even invite them to play a part as a volunteer where they are able to be seen in a positive light by the rest of the audience - if this does happen I am sure to make my instructions very clear and simple. Or I will make a point to interact with them after the show. I have found that being openly accepting of people with a disability and including them can help them to feel more relaxed in this unusual social setting (the street performance)and can help the rest of the audience to feel more relaxed as well.

And just like working with drunks (or any one else with poor social skills) I recognize there are times when our interaction is not going to result in a positive environment conductive to my entertainment being enjoyed by an audience. If that is the case then it may be time for the modified version of the show and allowing that person to move on and then start again.

Thanks for your question Eduardo - as I reflected on it I realised that there was some depth of feeling on the issue for me.
I hope my reflections are of some value.

ya, I think similar, tank you
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
[/quote]

I'm not crucifying anyone... I like this guy, and after his circular show, we talk a lot and take one beer...

I believe his jokes were funny in Argentina or Venezuela, but no so funny in Portugal...
[/quote]

Never meant to imply you were crucifying. Casting stones isn't that bad!! Smile

Now you have pointed out a whole other can of worms. How some crowds react to one thing yet a different crowd will take it another way. I have been there.

We have a joke in our show we used for many years because it was funny. It was self deprecating and wasn't written to hurt anyone. Then one time a member of the audience found our little joke offensive and went so far as to say we were "gay bashers." Nothing could be further from the truth.

You can't please everyone all the time but you can sure tick one of them off at any moment.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
I've worked with the people with "disabilities;" Autism, Downs Syndrome, Bi-Polar, different levels of retardation, Celebriel Palsey etc.. Here's what you DON'T do: Don't mock them or try to make them feel inferior. Treat them like a regular human being, remember, a person with Celebriel Palsey is usually not retarded, that is a problem of motor skills in the brain that interferes with proper muscle movement. You CAN, however, instruct them on what is proper public behavior & what is not; just do so gently, but firmly. Ask them their name, then explain to them that they need to be quiet so everybody else can enjoy the show. Give them a Tootsie pop or something sweet as a reward.

As for a drunk, I don't know, offer to buy them a beer later?

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
nornb
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of nornb
Very informative posts.

My comments would be;
be nice,
look at them briefly in the eye - to find out if they like being looked in the eye or not;
be nice,
focus on them - the audience may look after themselves, they see you being nice (drama, magician in trouble);
if necessary (wheelchair, small child) get on your knees - you 1) communicate better with someone who lives at a lower height than yourself 2) you look like a nice guy to the audience.

Seeing a magician can be a special (once in a lifetime) experience for anyone, make it extra special for someone who's experience of life may not be as rich as your own.

Hope this doesn't sound too pompous.

Best,
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
I use to work at a group home for people with mental handicaps. My clients loved magic and anytime I am in that area I stop by to see how all of them are doing. I highly recommend Troppobob's advice. Your best chance is to try and integrate them into the audience, make them a volunteer however if you have them helping you or something like that I stress to give simple and direct directions to them. A social setting like your performance might be very stressful for them and if they don't understand your command or get stage fright they could start having behavioral problems. And in the case of one of my clients he would jump around and scream when he was enjoying the show. He scared people that didn't know him but since I kept my composure and knew that is how he expressed himself the rest of the audience usually would relax as we.. I just always had to ask if he would calm down a little and he usually did just fine. lol. I miss those guys. They were a great group of people to work with and they always taught me something everyday. You have no idea how much these people love to be treated right and if you get to know a few you will learn that many of them have gone through a lot worse then me or you have. In all honesty you already know what type of behavior is not acceptable to you. So just do what you think is right and I don't think you will have an issue. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll help any way I can.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
So you shouldn't ask them if they left their helmet in the car?
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Quote:
On 2011-07-02 00:45, Rotten wrote:
So you shouldn't ask them if they left their helmet in the car?

Of course you can!!!!!!!!! but only if they wear a leather jacket...
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
A good, thoughtful thread. A mentor advised me excluding anyone can have a very subtle, chilling effect on enough spectators to affect the whole audience.

On a lighter note, dealing with people with a mental handicap isn't so hard and I'm not really handicapped. I just have issues.
aka Mike Booth
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Last night I had a darling lady who really dug my show. I do not know her ailment all I know is she was in a chair that she could drive yet she had very limited control over her body. I'd guess Cerebral Palsy but not a mental ailment. I made eye contact with her many times and delivered one punch line straight to her even though she was on the side. She drove up after my show and dropped a buck in the hat. I wasn't sure if it was a man or a woman till I saw her nails were painted so I told her "Thank you darlin." She smiled and did her best to wave. Moments like that stick out in your head at the end of the day. Seeing the joy in her eyes. That was about the only way she could speak and they told me she had a good time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » How to Deal With people with a mental handicap (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL