The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Torn and restored newspaper? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Mattia
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Mattia
Dear Friends,
There are many versions of torn and restored newspaper. What's the one do You prefair? I like very much Axel Hecklau's and Alex Elmsley's. What about You?
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I like Joel Bauer's version because it is easy to set up and resets in 3 seconds. Smile
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Axel Hecklau's version. Recently purchased version 2.0. Excellent teacher, DVD and gimmicks.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Andrew Mayne's. Borrowed and signed if you wish. No set up. Fooled me badly when I saw him do it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Go to:

http://searchthemagiccafe.com

And search for newspaper tears and you will see a ton of threads on this subject.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I really like Alex Elmsley's slow restore-al but before I got conversant in that I got Axel's first NewsFlash.

Now I'm doing Axel's 2.0 which is easier to set up and is going over GREAT! There is an audible intake of breath at the revelation.

I just saw Andrew Mayne's T&R last night. I can't say it fooled me but I wasn't watching as a lay person might. It has many advantages, impromptu, signed and returned. I may practice it just to have one in my "hip pocket" so to speak.

I don't enjoy news print on my fingers.

-Mary Mowder
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
The Gene Anderson Newspaper Tear is my all-time favorite, and I also like NewsFlash 2.0 from Axel Hecklau, as mention above.

Like Mary Mowder, I saw the Mayne version and it did not fool me either, but I also stopped getting anything from Mayne because some years back, I bought three different effects from him, not all at once, and I was terribly disappointed. After that, I swore off Mayne products, no matter how good they look, or how good they might actually be. That is just my opinion.
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Here's the thing about Mayne's newspaper tear. It's not all his. It's a minor variation of a Jim Steinmeyer routine in his book Conjuring Anthology:

http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/catalog/pro......9&page=1
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-07-01 14:19, Domino Magic wrote:
Here's the thing about Mayne's newspaper tear. It's not all his. It's a minor variation of a Jim Steinmeyer routine in his book Conjuring Anthology:

http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/catalog/pro......9&page=1

That I did know because back when I used to perform illusion shows, I used the Steinmeyer version from time to time.

I hate to bash Mayne or to sound like I am, but that is part of my issue with him. His ideas and effects are absolutely wonderful and inspirational, but the handling, the quality and the workability of the vast majority of them, at least for me, are very poor and in some cases, useless.

Again, my intent is not to discredit him as a performer, or his ideas. I just think he could do a better job with what he puts out.
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
I've tried nearly every versions out there, and right now I love to use Paula Paul's newspaper tear. One-hand flash restoration, and I can set it up in about 5 seconds! Paula said it's inspired by Pat Page's version.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Mattia
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Mattia
How about Axel Heclau's newsflash 2.0? I only tried the first one and it was great, but it took to me 10 minutes to reset. How much does the 2.0 take?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-07-02 03:53, mattia wrote:
How about Axel Heclau's newsflash 2.0? I only tried the first one and it was great, but it took to me 10 minutes to reset. How much does the 2.0 take?

Read what Axel has to say about it here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=95
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I just bought Gene Anderson's DVD from a fellow Café member. It has the Newspaper Tear on it. I am looking forward to seeing it and giving it a try.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Mattia
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Mattia
Thank You for your advices!I'll try some of these and I'll let You know.

Best regards,
Mattia
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Yes...be sure to report back which one(s) you liked best.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
I used Gene Anderson's for years but now I'm using the Ultimate Newspaper tear because it has an instant re-set and a No Fail working. Very Nice. Very Simple.
Bill
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Anyone doing the Slydini newspaper tear?
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-07-04 09:21, todsky wrote:
Anyone doing the Slydini newspaper tear?

A loooooooong time ago in my parlor shows. It was my other favorite next to the Anderson Newspaper Tear!
Mattia
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Mattia
How is it possible to tear the newspaper in a "clear" and precise way? I tried folding it hundred of times, I tried ironing and also using glue,but the tear always go wherever it wants...
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
A couple of tips. The first is it just takes practice. When I was learning the Anderson Tear, I probably practiced it over 100 times before I ever performed it. You just learn that how the paper is going to tear and how to adjust the speed of the tear, position of your hands, etc.

Another tip is to use a serrated tracing wheel that's available at any fabric store. This will create little perforations in the paper making it a bit easier for you to tear it evenly.

I've been doing the Anderson Tear for 32 years and there are still some shows where the paper gets away from me and it's not a clean, straight tear. You just move on and keep tearing. Again it's all about experience.

It's been mentioned in the other paper tear threads, but it doesn't matter which tear you use. They are all great and one isn't better than the other. Your best bet is to try as many as you can and see what works for you and once you find it, then stick with it and know it inside and out so you don't even have to think about it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Torn and restored newspaper? (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL