The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Baby Jade Rings and Coins By Alan Wong (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4833 Posts

Profile of RNK
OK- has anybody watched the trailor of this? This is listed at $95.00. Now- apparently the rings are made out of real jade. That being said- the effect is nothing earth shattering and is over pretty quickly. Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GhHobfcf24

Anybody's thoughts on this?

RNK
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
OMG, go to a Chinatown, if your area has one, and put this thing together for abooooout $10 with extra backup pieces. Why use real jade?!
That is one hell of a markup. man! If anyone has stepped into a Chinese novelty shop - you know what I'm talking about.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4833 Posts

Profile of RNK
I was wandering- seemed a little pricy for what the effect is!
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1263 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
1) Real jade makes the props more special than if they're NOT real jade.

2) If you don't think much of the effect, RNK, why keep posting about it? Are you hoping someone will talk you into liking it more??

3) I always liked this effect. Sold scores of the cheap version in the shop back in The Day. I like the touch Alan's added (well, it's the first time I've seen it) at the beginning, if you spotted it.

4) Comes with a good presentation.

5) It's still pricey, gotta agree. But I have the option to purchase it or not.

Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5862 Posts

Profile of motown
This looks like something along the lines of Tango's new Chinese coin routine.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4833 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2011-07-01 18:51, Steve Hook wrote:
1) Real jade makes the props more special than if they're NOT real jade.

2) If you don't think much of the effect, RNK, why keep posting about it? Are you hoping someone will talk you into liking it more??

3) I always liked this effect. Sold scores of the cheap version in the shop back in The Day. I like the touch Alan's added (well, it's the first time I've seen it) at the beginning, if you spotted it.

4) Comes with a good presentation.

5) It's still pricey, gotta agree. But I have the option to purchase it or not.

Steve H


No- Steve- last I checked that's what forums are for- Discussion- and I am trying to see what Discussion is out there for this to determine if I would like to purchase it or not. I would hope that you use and post on the Café because you want to find out or inform someone else on magic topics and tricks. That's what its for! INFORMATION!

RNK
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1263 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2011-07-05 10:20, RNK wrote:

No- Steve- last I checked that's what forums are for- Discussion- and I am trying to see what Discussion is out there for this to determine if I would like to purchase it or not. I would hope that you use and post on the Café because you want to find out or inform someone else on magic topics and tricks. That's what its for! INFORMATION!

RNK


No- RNK- Last I checked, you said you didn't care for the effect. Since the effect is all-important, what else are you hoping to find, that your eyes deceived you?

Resignedly,

Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I love the effe t. Living in Taiwan it has a lot of meaning actually, especially around Chinese New Year. I would have the coin reappear inside the red envelope though.
James
ps
Too expensive
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5862 Posts

Profile of motown
This is one of those routines I would like to see in person, before making a purchase. I believe this could be adapted to other presentations.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Personally, I'm not that attracted to the effect, but if I were to perform it, I'd want it to have a climax. For example, you could have the penny change to a dime if you used a m*****ic penny ] covering a dime and a very thin m****t on the bottom side of the gaffed ring material.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Although I am American [USA] I live in Taiwan and it has a lot of meaning for Chinese. Jade bracelets, the old coin, red envelope.
I love the effect.
James\ps
My climax would be the coin reappear in the envelope signifying the luck has returned

Quote:
On 2011-07-05 22:17, Larry Davidson wrote:
Personally, I'm not that attracted to the effect, but if I were to perform it, I'd want it to have a climax. For example, you could have the penny change to a dime if you used a m*****ic penny ] covering a dime and a very thin m****t on the bottom side of the gaffed ring material.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10697 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I perfromed this effect over 30 years ago and it is older than that, I used metal key rings
how can someone sell a trick that is not his just because he is using different material ???
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2011-07-06 00:08, Xiqual wrote:
"...My climax would be the coin reappear in the envelope signifying the luck has returned...."


Good ending.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4833 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2011-07-05 18:57, Steve Hook wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-05 10:20, RNK wrote:

No- Steve- last I checked that's what forums are for- Discussion- and I am trying to see what Discussion is out there for this to determine if I would like to purchase it or not. I would hope that you use and post on the Café because you want to find out or inform someone else on magic topics and tricks. That's what its for! INFORMATION!

RNK


No- RNK- Last I checked, you said you didn't care for the effect. Since the effect is all-important, what else are you hoping to find, that your eyes deceived you?

Resignedly,

Steve H


Actuallly Steve- My quote was: "Nothing Earth Shattering" which means- nothing NEW. So I NEVER stated I did not like the effect. Try Again My Friend! Again- looking for discussion on the effect to justify the purchase. Sorry you all have to hear me repeat the same info- some have trouble understanding what DISCUSSION forums are for.

Best,
RNK

RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4833 Posts

Profile of RNK
By the way- thanks everybody for your "thoughts" on this. The props are nice looking- but as some agree- to pricy.

RNK
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3136 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
I truly understand you get what you pay for in life. One can spend $1000 on a pair of shoes where others spend $100 and look good and walk good. Do not shoot the messenger here. I bought a very similar item in a dollar store and like Vinny stated above, original idea is quite old. Nothing wrong with revisiting old ideas as it happens daily specifically in magic. The props on this look nice and I'm sure it plays well with his structure, the red cards etc. Like top shelf coin gaffers, some will find a need for higher priced items that can be done with the same outcome which in my instance was found for a $1
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22388 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This was the 2nd trick I ever bought at about age 10. Adam's magic made it and it sold in the magic shop for 50 cents. I ran home and showed my mom. It fooled her.

The original was done on a white card, and the rings were a cool black plastic. Came in a very nice gold foil box.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-07-01 18:51, Steve Hook wrote:


3) I always liked this effect. Sold scores of the cheap version in the shop back in The Day. I like the touch Alan's added (well, it's the first time I've seen it) at the beginning, if you spotted it.



THat sure makes up for the 95$ price tag.

Oh, wait, it doesn't.

I wonder if audiences care if the rings are made of real jade or not. I believe it is very safe to assume that the vast majority of one's audiences cannot tell the difference between real and fake jade. Furthermoe, being it chinese, I think most people will assume it is fake, lol.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5259 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On 2011-07-05 20:00, Xiqual wrote:
I would have the coin reappear inside the red envelope though.


Sweet idea Xiqual.
I like the visual convincer at the beginning. I had to watch it a couple of times before I figured out what was going on.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1542 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Quote:
On 2011-07-01 14:40, RNK wrote:
OK- has anybody watched the trailor of this? This is listed at $95.00. Now- apparently the rings are made out of real jade. That being said- the effect is nothing earth shattering and is over pretty quickly. Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GhHobfcf24

Anybody's thoughts on this?

RNK


Check out the Wizard Product Show this week and you will see the answer.

Tony Curtis
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Baby Jade Rings and Coins By Alan Wong (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL