The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Baby Jade Rings and Coins By Alan Wong (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3426 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I am suprised at the uproar over this. It was clearly designed more for collectors that like "pretty things". I doubt that Mr Wong was trying to present this as a new earth shattering mystery. There have been many examples of old concepts being dresssed up primairly for the collector market (several mentioned above). I collect a few things and quite frankly this is cheap comapred to many other items aimed at this niche market. I have not seen these props but if they are of good quality then the price is more than in-line with other higher end collector items. The demo video makes it pretty clear what you are getting so Mr Wong has not tried to hide anything. This reaction feels a little over the top to me.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 14:36, wmhegbli wrote:
Or why does your wife want a diamond ring that is large and cost thousands more when a $50 wedding band will do just as well. I dare you to ask her to explain her rationalization for blinging up. LOL

That is funny. I can just picture it: "Baby, all that is, is a blinged up version of what I already GOT you!" Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I walked into a jewelry shop in Chinatown (S.F.) a number of years ago. Thought it would be nice to have a jade/gold ring. Checked prices, and walked right out. Whatever jade they had, it was very expensive. Perhaps there are higher and lower grades of jade. Going to Wikipedia...
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Linking Rngs. Cups. Backdrops. Wands. Heck, even WANDS! - All those serve far more useful purposes than a trick that, although being able to fool children ages 6 and under as well as people that have been living inside broken refrigerators in Mars for the last three centuries, does just one thing. And does it very badly.

Quote:
On 2011-07-08 14:08, Chessmann wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 12:51, Fábio DeRose wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 12:03, Paul S Wingham wrote:
Perhaps not over priced for what you get

You get a 1 dollar trick that has been bling'd up.

There are lots of very good examples of this:

- Adams cups - PF Cups/Sherwood Cups

- Adams/Royal (?) linking rings - Owen Linking Rings

- Adams Color Vision - Howard Hale's (or others) Color Vision

etc....

I'm not saying that Adams is the original producer of these effects, of course. On the other hand, I doubt that the $1 version of this ring trick was the first incarnation of its kind, either! Smile

The effect, I think, looks beautiful, and the principle has been fooling people for a long, long time.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
You're a bit confused, or I wasn't clear, I think. I was simply saying that many old tricks have been blinged up. And this is true. That had nothing to do with the usefulness or not of the trick.

I *then* stated that I thought the vanish was quite beautiful.

If you don't feel like it will fool anyone, great. We won't expect it in your repertoire! Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5864 Posts

Profile of motown
I remember doing this effect years ago with an Adams plastic coin drawer and another trick that consisted of a clear plastic cube with a black cover and a thin piece of rectangular plastic. The cube was used to vanish the coin which was then found in the drawer. I modified the cube a little to be more deceptive. Boy, I'd forgotten about that.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1147 Posts

Profile of Salby
And let's NOT forget how so similiar this "knock-off" effect is to the Chinatown Half Coin Gimmick effect.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
Just as well Wizard Product review woke us up from their trap!
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1263 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 22:43, Salby wrote:
And let's NOT forget how so similiar this "knock-off" effect is to the Chinatown Half Coin Gimmick effect.

Wellllll, .......not really. Only in the most distant sense. And it's also likely that the original version of the rings effect pre-dates the Chinatown Half principle.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 21:24, Chessmann wrote:

I *then* stated that I thought the vanish was quite beautiful.

Do you have x-ray vision? The reason I ask this is because the coin, when it "vanishes", is covered by 2/3 of the earth's most expensive chinatown toy.

I fail to see the beauty in that, especially when there is Windows Movie Maker witchery involved (Not that the trick itself needs any, LOL).
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Verrrry eenterestink!
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1364 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 12:51, Fábio DeRose wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 12:03, Paul S Wingham wrote:
Perhaps not over priced for what you get

You get a 1 dollar trick that has been bling'd up.

I meant the jade must cost a few quid (or at least I assume that's the justification for price) but agree it's a $1 trick that really doesn't need to be blinged in my opinion.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Furthermore, how can one tell the difference between real and fake Jade?

Wuldn't it be incredibly funny if these rings were no made of real jade after all? Bazzinga!
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
What are you trying to say here Fabio?
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Jade comes in many grades, but there are only two types with different chemical formula. The first is Jadeite and the second is old jade Chinese Nephrite.

The most expensive and desirable jadeite (Burmese Jadeite, Burma Jade, Imperial Jade, or Chinese Jade) usually comes from Myanmar (formerly Burma), but small quantities are mined in Guatemala, Mexico and Russia.

Type A - Natural, untreated, undergoes a traditional process (plum juice washing and polishing with beeswax), no "artificial treatments" (e.g. high temperature or high-pressure treatments). This has a "true" color.

Type B - Chemically bleached to remove impurities; injected with polymer with the use of a centrifuge to enhance translucency; covered with hard and clear plastic like coating. Subject to instability and discoloration over time because polymer gets broken down by heat or household detergent; nevertheless, still 100% real jade with 100% natural color.

Type C - Chemically bleached; dyed to enhance color; subject to discoloration over time due to reaction with strong light, body heat or household detergent.

Here are some immitation jade:

Serpentine ("New Jade" or "Olive Jade")
Prehnite
Aventurine quartz
Grossular garnet ("Transvaal jade")
Chrysoprase ("Australian jade" - most of it comes from Queensland, Australia)
Malaysia Jade (permanently dyed translucent quartz that may be called by its color – Red Jade, Yellow Jade, Blue Jade)
Opaque dolomite marble ("Mountain Jade" - from Asia, dyed in vibrant colors)

I compiled this info from the internet after reading more than I care to read about Jade.(lol)

I know B.C probally has the largest percentage of jade, but I don't think B.C jade is expensive at all. I have found a lot of B.C. jade when I lived in Quesnel B.C.

If anyone is interrested to know what kind of jade Alan Wong uses, just email him and ask what kind of jade is it, where did the jade come from, and what grade is it. That'll solve that dilema. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2011-07-06 02:35, vinsmagic wrote:
I perfromed this effect over 30 years ago and it is older than that, I used metal key rings
how can someone sell a trick that is not his just because he is using different material ???

I was thinking the same thing about another person who is selling the gyspy thread trick applied to a balloon. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-07-10 13:25, Failed Magician wrote:
What are you trying to say here Fabio?

That it would be funny if he sold his bling as being the highest grade jade available when it was actually the cheapest one. Would be amusing to see poeple's reactions to such a happening.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I find it funny that there is so much fuss and discussion over this and now wanting to know what grade of jade is used. I don't recall the amount of scrutiny another effect has had.
ok, for me I am put off by the price because I live in San Francisco and go by Chinatown for practically most of my life because ohh I don't know, because my uncle owns a jewelry store in Chinatown, go grocery shopping there, visit relatives who live in the Chinatown projects.
So for me to see "rings" or more properly bangles for that price makes me laugh not to mention red envelopes are $1.50 a pack and coins are $2 and up and vary (which I would have opted to switch out for much older looking coins that are basically black for a more ancient "Oriental" prop - Caucasians love saying Oriental.
Real jade crack or break more easily so using real jade is basically not practical nor ideal. Oh well, each his own as you all say, don't need to ask Alan - Many field trips to Hong Kong with my uncle, so I think I kinda know the Chinese jade/24k gold/cloisonne' retail/wholesale/export racket from there to here - and visited a manufacturing vendor of magic and toys (that''s another story)!!
If I had to spend $100 I would place an order for Industrial Revelation - which I did, can't wait. go figure.
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1026 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2011-07-10 15:22, rklew64 wrote:
I find it funny that there is so much fuss and discussion over this and now wanting to know what grade of jade is used. I don't recall the amount of scrutiny another effect has had.
ok, for me I am put off by the price because I live in San Francisco and go by Chinatown for practically most of my life because ohh I don't know, because my uncle owns a jewelry store in Chinatown, go grocery shopping there, visit relatives who live in the Chinatown projects.
So for me to see "rings" or more properly bangles for that price makes me laugh not to mention red envelopes are $1.50 a pack and coins are $2 and up and vary (which I would have opted to switch out for much older looking coins that are basically black for a more ancient "Oriental" prop - Caucasians love saying Oriental.
Real jade crack or break more easily so using real jade is basically not practical nor ideal. Oh well, each his own as you all say, don't need to ask Alan - Many field trips to Hong Kong with my uncle, so I think I kinda know the Chinese jade/24k gold/cloisonne' retail/wholesale/export racket from there to here - and visited a manufacturing vendor of magic and toys (that''s another story)!!
If I had to spend $100 I would place an order for Industrial Revelation - which I did, can't wait. go figure.

Big Diffrence Industrial Revelation can stand Examination

This piece of Crap can't !
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Right.
It's one thing when a grownup buys this for whatever reason.
It's another when a younger unknowing budding magician buys this and gets potentially highly disappointed with it and loose out $100 and feeling ripped off. It's a bad setup in my opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Baby Jade Rings and Coins By Alan Wong (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL