The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Baby Jade Rings and Coins By Alan Wong (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-07-10 15:22, rklew64 wrote:
I find it funny that there is so much fuss and discussion over this and now wanting to know what grade of jade is used. I don't recall the amount of scrutiny another effect has had.

I don't think anyone is fussing. More curious due to a lack of info on jade, and this effect spurred a bit in curious interest in it. In my only experience with looking at jade in Chinatown it was quite expensive - but it was only one store and I looked only at a couple of things.

Quote:
Oh well, each his own as you all say, don't need to ask Alan - Many field trips to Hong Kong with my uncle, so I think I kinda know the Chinese jade/24k gold/cloisonne' retail/wholesale/export racket from there to here.

All the more reason, then, to ask Allen, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???" and see what he says! Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
/\

LMAO

I still think this is a practical joke from Wong-san.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Quote:
On 2011-07-10 15:14, Fábio DeRose wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-10 13:25, Failed Magician wrote:
What are you trying to say here Fabio?

That it would be funny if he sold his bling as being the highest grade jade available when it was actually the cheapest one. Would be amusing to see poeple's reactions to such a happening.

And he will do this because he is Chinese?
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
If you are going to pay $95 for jade, I would want to know what kind of jade it is, and what grade. Anyone serious enough to want to buy this because of the jade should know that there are many fake jades being sold as real jade. And, I am of course not saying Alan is selling fakes, or low grade jade. I have no idea, that's why asking Alan wht type of jade and grade it is will give anyone interrested a more clear idea before purchasing it.

There is nothing new I see with this trick other than the jade and envelopes, so it looks to me that the price is due to the cost of jade. This may not be the case though.

Failed Magician: you're not accusing Fábio as being racist are you? I didn't get anything remotely like that from reading his posts.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Hi,
The "san" is Japanese, used on their surnames, not on Chinese surnames, so that chink and nip mash up is not correct although a somewhat common misunderstanding. That's okay, different countries different ignorances, n'est-ce pas?.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
It's like saying the last name Smith is attributed to Anglos only, right? Yea, I had to use books for that one I admit. I have no idea where I'm going with this.. oh I see my stop is coming up. laterz boyeeeee! Peace Out ya'll.
I'm pushing it huh?!
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

@Gospel Dan: No Father, I never accuse someone here, that is why I asked him about his line.

Quoted from his post:

Quote:
THat sure makes up for the 95$ price tag.

Oh, wait, it doesn't.

I wonder if audiences care if the rings are made of real jade or not. I believe it is very safe to assume that the vast majority of one's audiences cannot tell the difference between real and fake jade. Furthermoe, being it chinese, I think most people will assume it is fake, lol.

I might need a coffee as I feel very sensitive about his posting. Or perhaps it is not clear enough what he was trying to say?
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Oouch, I missed that post. But, did you just call me "Father" (lol)
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3382 Posts

Profile of Julie
Anyone remember the decades old "Weisenheimer(sp?)" coin trick? It is designed to mimic this Chinese Ring Illusion, but without the gimmicked ring AND the parts can be examined!

(I believe the boxes for The Chinese Ring Illusion/Mystery with the foil label were from Adams.)

Julie
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
"it" stands for the jade rings, not Wong-san.

Furthermore, China has a very long tradition of not having any respect for rather simple concepts such as copyright and intellectual property.

Have I not made myself clear now, it is no longer my problem - I really dislike having to explain puns and jokes to people.

FYI, "chinese" is a nationality, not a race.

Quote:
On 2011-07-10 22:58, Failed Magician wrote:
@Gospel Dan: No Father, I never accuse someone here, that is why I asked him about his line.

Quoted from his post:

Quote:
THat sure makes up for the 95$ price tag.

Oh, wait, it doesn't.

I wonder if audiences care if the rings are made of real jade or not. I believe it is very safe to assume that the vast majority of one's audiences cannot tell the difference between real and fake jade. Furthermoe, being it chinese, I think most people will assume it is fake, lol.

I might need a coffee as I feel very sensitive about his posting. Or perhaps it is not clear enough what he was trying to say?
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

It wasn't a joke for me as you're stereotyping. What would you feel if someone do the same to your "nationality" ?

You'll just have a laugh about it?

I know in China and most of Asia we have problems with copyright infringement. And we were talking about Alan's work, so it was intended to him and his work. Doesn't matter it was a pun or not. It is inappropriate.

I really love to see if you really dare enough to throw the same line in front of him... directly Smile
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-07-11 14:24, Failed Magician wrote:
It wasn't a joke for me as you're stereotyping. What would you feel if someone do the same to your "nationality" ?

You'll just have a laugh about it?

Yes. What else should I do? Punch the guy in the face? Not worth such drama, lol.

Quote:
I know in China and most of Asia we have problems with copyright infringement. And we were talking about Alan's work, so it was intended to him and his work. Doesn't matter it was a pun or not. It is inappropriate.

I really love to see if you really dare enough to throw the same line in front of him... directly Smile

Want to arrange a meeting? I'm available for travel, lol.

Dn't be such a drama queen. Chill out.

Back to the subject, aye?
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Hmm... if my memory serves me right, for the last two years I'm in this forum, this is the first time I feel so offended by someone like you. So there is no reason for you to call me names such as drama queen. I still think you are out of the line.

The method for Baby Jade Rings indeed is not something extra ordinary. I made my own version using a clear glass, some paper and glue. However, I'm sure there is a reason why he chose real jade.

And we have to respect it. Even Craig didn't like the extreme price tag, but the real jade makes the price a bit steep. People always say that when we buy a trick, we buy the concept, the thought, the clever ideas behind it. But for me, we also buy the materials.

Even any of us here can make something like this with just anything we can find in our house like golden bracelets, clear beer mug, etc. But Mr Alan Wong has every rights to have and sell his own version.

I agree if people who see this will (or even might) think the jade is not real, but trying to connect it some nationality? Do the audience know that the props were made by Alan Wong?

Do you tell them that the topit you are using was made and designed by Mr Ammar? Or the plastic sleeve you use for Nailed routine was created by Jay Sankey? I hope you don't..

Anyway, it is up to you if you want to keep that attitude. It's your loss.

I enjoy watching the demo and I'm sure with good presentation, this looks awesome. With two jade rings and a red envelope it creates a mystery vanishing. If the coin can appear inside the envelope, I'm sure the heat will go straight to the envelope and the coin, not the jade ring.

Have a nice day.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
So much drama for such a cheap, despite bling'd up, effect.

Chill out, dude. And ignore my poss from now on.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Piqsirpoq
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
117 Posts

Profile of Piqsirpoq
Quote:
On 2011-07-12 12:34, Failed Magician wrote:
I agree if people who see this will (or even might) think the jade is not real, but trying to connect it some nationality? Do the audience know that the props were made by Alan Wong?

Umm...The whole effect and patter are based on Chinese mythology (the chinese coin, the chinese symbols on the envelope, the colours gold and red, jade's importance in Chinese culture). Of course the audience is going to connect it to a nationality. It is also generally known that many different minerals (and plastic and glass in online and street market) are sold as jade. Even many jewelry stores don't have the expertise to know what they're selling - whether the jade is good quality or low quality, or even jade at all.

We have two general statements, which by and large are true:
1) There's a lot of fake and low quality jade on the market
2) A lot of counterfeit products are sold in China ($16 billion-worth of goods each year - source: The Economist, May 15th 2003)

If the performer specifically stresses that the rings are real jade, the audience will want a closer look.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
See?

He's got the point. And THAT is a deal-breaker on such a non-examinable, if you will, effect.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
I'm hoping for a 4th page to this thread!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I think Fabio is, too! Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-07-12 16:11, Chessmann wrote:
I think Fabio is, too! Smile

Nah.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
If I was interrested I would want to know the grade and type of the jade. You don't buy gems and such without making sure you know what you are getting, and especially from China. Nothing meant by it towards my Asian brothers and sisters, but it's a known fact to be leary and cautious. There is a lot of fake jade beiong passed off as real. One of the redflags is when the type of jade and grade is not revealed in the ad. It's best to ask questions first if you are wanting to buy this for the jade.

If Alan doesn't know what kind of jade it is, and what grade, then he shouldn't be selling it as being real jade. If it's real jade or not isn't even the point. The point is, the jade doesn't have to be real, and you don't have to spend $95 even if it was. Regardless if it's real jade or not, it adds nothing to the effect for the spectator who we are perfoming it for. You can use cheap, fake jade and the audience would never know the difference anyhow.

If you want it because you think it's real jade, just make sure it's real, and worth the asking price.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Baby Jade Rings and Coins By Alan Wong (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL