The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How Do I Get Gigs In A Highly Competitive Market? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3498 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
There aren’t a heck of a lot of folks I’d listen to about placement, marketing, and branding (I always wondered why so many guys lecturing about becoming a millionaire or how to be happy -- are often deprived and depressed.)

Or the presentation turns out to be a not too well disguised infomercial for overpriced products. I recently dozed off at three such motivational and informative lectures on the magic biz. There’s only so much that works, so much that can be said, so much that may be new, or so much that is practical and really delivers.

HOWEVER, if there was ever someone who knew their cookies (and how to bake them) it would be Autumn MorningStar.

I’m awfully jealous that she’s not speaking in my backyard, and hope to find her book “Building and Maintaining A Successful Magic Business!” shortly.

My two-cents,
Walt
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1618 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
Do you look as if your successful? Successful people want to associate with other successful people and if you can’t convey to the client that you have always come through and can come through for him, he may not want to take a chance

Says the guy that has a "pay me what you want to pay me" policy.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
A very tough market to say the least these days. Seems since the economy tanked, more and more "magicians" are appearing. Nice appearence act but hard on the overall market. Just got to get out there and find those gigs. A lot of good info on this thread.
Dennis Does Magic
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Dennis Does Magic
One word - Gigmasters.com You will have many opportunities to do parties. Not a lot of money here, but lots of work
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Dennis Does Magic

Thanks for bring the thread up to date, it was 2 years old and I had forgotten about it.

Quote:

On 2011-08-21 23:20, Futureal wrote:

Quote:

Do you look as if your successful? Successful people want to associate with other successful people and if you can’t convey to the client that you have always come through and can come through for him, he may not want to take a chance

Says the guy that has a "pay me what you want to pay me" policy.

Yes Futureal, I still have the “pay me what you want to pay me" policy on my web site and combined with my marketing, The growth of my business in 2012 allowed me to purchase a 28 foot bus and convert it into The Howie Diddot Magic Bus complete with graphics, music piping out the speakers, an air cooled cage in a window next to the passenger door to display a live rabbit and a Television and DVD player in another window on the curb side to promo clips of my show to passersby’s when the bus is parked.

I still have the Cheapest Magician website up and going and I still believe that successful people want to associate and do business with other successful people and if you can’t convey to the client that you are successful and can come through for them, they may not want to take a chance on hiring you
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2011-07-03 16:25, Dannydoyle wrote:
Exactly Mark. It is about relationships.

Again I say good point. All selling is about a relationship.

I like to say "partnership". When I was performing in restaurants I would build sort of a partnership with the client. I use that principal when dealing with clients.

However there is a lot more to selling than the partnership - relationship opinion.

Quote:
On 2011-07-03 16:25, Dannydoyle wrote:
PLUS as Mark points out most of the good people to deal with were not born yesterday.

If your talking about agents and bookers. I only work with agents that I consider as friends. Agents that are not my friends and that I won't work for - or with as I like to say "work with"- did something that fell in the way that I would not trust them.

Trust in my opinion is one of the most important things about show business. A client has to "trust" the performer. They trust the performer that they will arrive on time. Be ready to perform at the agreed upon time. They will entertain the audience.

In my opinion there are a lot of "trust" issues that go hand and hand in the show business world.

I like to use the golden rule in both my business and my personal life.

Quote:
On 2011-07-04 14:39, Dannydoyle wrote:
"If at first you don't succede, don't take up skydiving".

I contend, and constantly am berated by the "magicians living the dream" crowd that not everyone is cut out to do what we do.

Well, I happen to be a magician that "IS living the dream".

A dream to me is just a goal that has not come to pass yet! When I was first starting out in close up magic and reading Genii back when Bill Larson was alive and publishing Genii. I used to read about the Magic Castle. My dream was to one day be good enough to perform close up magic in the close up gallery.

Well having this dream set the goal and that dream was realized. About 6 years ago, I performed and lectured at the Magic Castle.

I also had other dreams that came into realization and in my opinion part of getting that dream to make it appear as a reality in the real world is doing the work with a positive attitude and having a realistic plan of action to make that dream a reality.

Many people in my opinion mix up the word dream with fantasy.

Quote:
Not everyone can or should be an entertainer. Are you more "helpful" when you tell them this flat out, or are you better off blowing smoke up their skirt and telling them to buy a bunch of crap and telling them it is just about the right marketing idea? What a load of hogwash.

First of all I don't smoke. And the only people I know in magic that might ware a skirt are mostly woman magicians like Celest Evens. I also don't consider it my job or my responsibility to tell magicians things like go get a day job because they won't make it as a pro.

I am reminded about a story a magician hypnotist told me. A group of hypnotists were sitting at a table talking about a young singer that was just breaking into show business. She would come in the Ciro club in Chicago (by the way all these hypnotists sitting at the table were working hypnotists performing at different clubs in the 60's) and this woman wanted to be a hypnotist.

This group of guys used to laugh at her and say that she would not make it as a hypnotist.

That lady later on not only became a hypnotist - and was packing them in as they used to say in those days. She ended up owning her own club on the sunset strip, was in a movie playing herself, she produced records on how to quit smoking, lose weight etc. And was on TV many times, including several showtime specials.

The hypnotist these guys were laughing at and saying that she would never make it as a hypnotist was Pat Collins the hip hypnotist.

By the way the magician hypnotist that told me this story was Marshall Brodien.

The point I am making to this story is that Pat Collins had a dream. And she "did" the work that was required of her to do - to make that dream a reality.

Quote:
It is a harsh reality but not everyone who wants to be a professional entertainer gets to be.

Don Alan said something to me that I will never forget. There are people in magic that want to be magicians. And People in magic that need to be magicians. The people that need to be magicians find there way.

Quote:
Why is it considered cruel to tell people the truth of the matter? I mean really it is what it is. I contend that stringing them along with no chance of them ever really becoming a performer is the cruel part. I mean if a 360 lb. guy comes in and wanted to be an acrobat, would it help to give him video on how to do back flips?

Why is it cruel to tell them your truth of the matter about them?

Did they ask?

In my opinion what is true about the above is often the difference between a dream and a fantasy. To me and this is my opinion a fantasy is an unrealistic goal talked about by someone that did not do the work needed - and it is nothing more in my opinion than a want - or a wish!

However if that 360 pound guy was doing the work that was required to become an acrobat. Then his dream was in the works and I would imagine that he was following a realistic plan of action to bring his dream into reality. Like working out and getting in shape - and taking the right training for his goal.

Just as Pat Collins did her plan of action to become a hypnotist.

Quote:
"If at first you don't succede, don't take up skydiving".

If I had the dream to take up skydiving I would plan a realistic plan of action and make it happen. And in my opinion if at first I don't succeed - it doesn't mean I failed. Because each time I fail there is a seed of success hidden in it.

I just re-plan my plan of action - re work it and keep at it until my dream (goal) becomes a reality.

Just my opinion and I hope this helps!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20537 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Obviously for whatever reason you want to pick apart 2 year old posts. Much of what you say sure great. I don't care what plan you have there is reality to deal with. Not everyone has a wife who can support their dreams.

As for "did they ask"....yes. Simply put.

As for skydiving Glenn your next investment should be a sense of humor. It was a joke. Everyone but you got it. Literally everyone but you.

Keep living the dream.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2013-07-15 11:05, Dannydoyle wrote:
Obviously for whatever reason you want to pick apart 2 year old posts. Much of what you say sure great. I don't care what plan you have there is reality to deal with. Not everyone has a wife who can support their dreams.

My my, a Typical response from the great Danny Doyle. It reminds me of the posting you used to do toward me on the busker forum. And from that I have to say you know "nothing" about me and "nothing" about my parents. And "nothing" about my relationship with my family.

To stop any roomer that you may have started by saying "Not everyone has a wife who can support their dreams." Over the past twenty five something years I have been married my wife has given my business dreams, goals in the way of support is about zero. As her husband I support her.

As for my parents - they supported me as parents do however after my dad had his stroke and had to give up the shop and show business I supported them - almost single handed.

I also as I said live by the golden rule - do onto others the way that I would want others do onto me. That is why I don't take personal shots such as saying silly things like so and so - "Not everyone has a wife who can support their dreams."

Quote:
As for skydiving Glenn your next investment should be a sense of humor. It was a joke. Everyone but you got it. Literally everyone but you.

Since you said you were not interested in my plans of action above - it would be none of your business. However when posting on the web in different forums I tend to not joke around and save my sense of humor for my paying audiences. I have always found entertainers that "never get off the stage" and perform as part of their day in and day out lives "attention needy".

With me it is a business. I do my show and that gives me enough magic and attention - and then after I do a show I put my toys away till the next show and that gives me more time for business.
Quote:
Keep living the dream.

I will keep living the dream. And only friends call me Glenn. Others that don't know me as you don't know me call me Mr. Bishop. But now I suggest that you stop reading Mr. Doyle because I am going to talk bout my dreams and plans of action.

Instead of doing magic quite some time ago I decided to get a larger vision of my business and a larger vision of myself. I always considered being self employed as a life long adventure of self mastering and self re-inventing.

So if I have a dream it starts the idea. Then I write the idea down. Date it. Find out any problems or opposition. I work out the groups and people (the prospects) I need to sell it. I put a date on my plan of action of when and how much money I want to make from this idea. Then I move forward - test it - make any changes I need to make and test it again. I do this year after year for as long as it takes.

In much the same way I put a show together.

Then after a while - my dream turned to reality in the dream of performing and lecturing at the magic castle.

Besides the magician mentors I had - after I proved myself to them. I have had magicians say that I suck. I was no good. My dad or one of my mentors would turn over in their grave if they knew I was performing magic so badly. Why? Because from what they told me all sons of magicians are crap magicians. I have been told to give up magic many times in my life.

Some people call a plan of action a business plan. I call it a foundation to build on.

I hope this helps.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Sorry I ended the last post so fast I have to get on with my plan of action and work out. Lifting iron and steel against gravity. When I performed at the magic castle some six or seven years ago I was over 325 and had pain in my lower back, legs and feet.

One of my dreams was to lose weight. So I started lifting weights again. I am now down to 225. My dream is getting under 200. Then under 210.

What did I do?

I worked out a plan of action - put a date on it - identified the problems - wrote down the pay off - and a starting date - and several years later - I am still doing this plan of action and slowly moving toward my dream - as part of re-inventing myself.

I hope this helps.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20537 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes reading narcissistic self indulgent tripe always helps. We love it.

I guess we are in for another few months of this. I don't think I said anything about you specifically Glenn. Defensive much?

Sorry if you were offended.

Let me cut to the chase. You are great and you are right and every word you speak is worth its weight in gold.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2013-07-15 20:32, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yes reading narcissistic self indulgent tripe always helps. We love it.

I guess we are in for another few months of this. I don't think I said anything about you specifically Glenn. Defensive much?

Sorry if you were offended.

Let me cut to the chase. You are great and you are right and every word you speak is worth its weight in gold.

Ever hear of the golden rule? It works in both business relationships and in personal relationships. Hardly narcissistic self indulgent tripe. And since it APPEARS Mr. Doyle missed the point my posts above was about having a plan of action - can work with other things besides business.

However if one "feels good" I would say that they work better.

Here is a link that some might enjoy that says it better that I can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae-VJ_lauCw

I hope this helps.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20537 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I miss out he pointof so many of your posts. Guess I am an idiot.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
As I said many, many times. I have no ax to grind and I don't take things personal. And when I write a post there is nothing personal in it. I just write from the point of view of my experiences that I have had in my life of magic.

I have never been the kind of magician that was after the next new trick - or the next new success course in magic - and if I got this new thing - then I would be a professional magician.

I learned a long time ago that if I wanted work (more shows) I needed to do a realistic plan of action. And it did not matter if it was for working in a restaurant - doing birthday party shows - or whatever.

Quote:
On 2013-07-10 12:36, Howie Diddot wrote:
Yes Futureal, I still have the “pay me what you want to pay me" policy on my web site and combined with my marketing, The growth of my business in 2012 allowed me to purchase a 28 foot bus and convert it into The Howie Diddot Magic Bus complete with graphics, music piping out the speakers, an air cooled cage in a window next to the passenger door to display a live rabbit and a Television and DVD player in another window on the curb side to promo clips of my show to passersby’s when the bus is parked.

I still have the Cheapest Magician website up and going and I still believe that successful people want to associate and do business with other successful people and if you can’t convey to the client that you are successful and can come through for them, they may not want to take a chance on hiring you

Congrats Howie Diddot. It sounds to me like you had a plan of action and made things happen for you. I saw pictures of the bus. That is a wonderful idea.

Best wishes for continued success.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

vincentmusician
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
105 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
Getting more gigs? Be the best that you can be. Improve in all aspects of your service, performing, marketing, dealing with people.
Study and read about others who have had success, have a plan or attainable goal. Take it one step at a time. By doing this, my business has improved.
However, don't get on your hands and knees and beg for work. Do not sell yourself short. Know who you are and what your price is and set it.
I have had many people say I charge too much and say they will look elsewhere. About 75% of those people call me back and book me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How Do I Get Gigs In A Highly Competitive Market? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL