The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Pendulum magic by J. Burk Whittaker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
OK guys (and gals), here goes.

I bought this ebook last night and gave it a cursory read. Also, I'm not a working professional, but I perform some. That being said, this ebook is nothing to write home to Mom about. Not good, not bad. It's not really (IMO) a pendulum ebook. It's an ebook about how a pendulum might work with some other effects.

After a brief pendulum history/how to do it intro, there are three old card ideas (with some sleight of hand) laced with the pendulum. The reason I include the words, sleight of hand, is, there are some places in the explanations that seemed awkward; places where the performer has the spec. hold the pendulum while he (the performer) does some sleight with the cards/coins, or what have you. The cadence and eventual imbalance seemed all wrong and distracting. Also, there some effects where you have to go to you local hardware/toy/hobby store for more then just a few items. To me, the effects just aren't strong enough to warrant the shopping trip. I don't think that I would perform even one of the effects in this book the way they're written. But, I may rethink some of them.

This is not by any means a useless ebook. But, if you're looking for groundbreaking pendulum work, this isn't the one. If you want to see how the pendulum can be used in conjunction with some old effects, this might be for you. IMO, the strongest thing about this ebook is, it might get the creative juices flowing.

Of course, I'd like to hear what Doug has to say.

Jorey
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
D Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia
370 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
Sean-Paul,
Yes. I did find the effect in question. As with any effect the power is relative to some variables. You have to have the right set up (ie. hypnotism pre-work). The right spectator. Spectator management. And setting. I believe the statement can be true. Will you get a life changer if done in a bar with a sick drunk chick? NO! Table hopping? I don't think so. Added with a Seance or in a home dinner party setting? Yes. I believe you can rock someones world.

I believe there are 4 routines that allow the spectator to use the pendulum. One is to find a witch. One is to find a cards mate. One is to find a psychic symbol. And one is to reveal an object in the room the spectator is merely thinking of.

Unfortunately it is real easy to go from my thoughts on the material to giving up the effects. Hope this helps in your decision making.
Doug
Check out our Fast 50 @
https://unclechopsmagicshop.com
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
I have to agree with Jorey on this! It is more like a beginner book for pendulums.
As, Doug has said,It may work very well for some! Just was not what I was hoping for!

-G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
To be fair to everyone, I didn't refer to it as a "beginner" book for pendulums. I think what's generally agreed upon by the few of us that have it, is that it's an ebook that has a lot of ideas in it. As always, "the rest is up to you".

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Aaron E
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of Aaron E
I think I will wait for Pablo Amira's ebook on Pendulum work.

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

On another note, that "Dual Reality" ebook for 8 bucks sounds interesting.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I'll just stick with what I already have.

Thank you all.

Tony
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Using a pendulum is great, no doubt about it. It always raises the hair on my neck when I use it. Those interested should search the excellent "immobile pendulum" thread on Inner Thoughhts.

At the end of the day, it just allows you or the spectator to select something. It slows the pace, it allows real magic.

The sleights you learn to effectively work with pendula ( oh yeah, I'm using the correct pleural!) are IMHO 8 card brainwave, Mexican turnover, and maybe Kiss count. In fact, if you haven't got Tony Chris's wonderful "Hampton Falls" stop reading, buy it, and think, "where can I put in a pendulum".

Add to this some skilled verbal control, learn to pace the spectator - read about Cheveral's pendulum, learn to say a key phrase just at the right time - look up Jim Critchlows verbal shenanigans in "Till death do us part".

In essence, you don't need a book on this; you'll only reD it and think-huh! I coulda thoughta that! Smile
You're all wonderful, thoughtful creative people! There's NO big secret you're missing! Honest!
( well apart from Lord Freddies upcoming book that I hope to contribute to ;-)
Bw
Steve
[
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
I agree 100% with the good doctor. . .

Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Maybe a beginners book was not the correct statement ... maybe a beginnings book would have been a better choice on words .
For us to build upon!

-G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
Thanks for the info Steve. I have read a bit about Cheveral's principle but still find myself a bit shaky with the concept so I need a backup out to successfully complete a correct choice. I can't work on the principle alone. Maybe that is part of the learning curve or perhaps I struggle. I can usually eliminate choices no problem but get stuck between two. I am wanting to use one in an American Civil War thing I am working on using a pendulum with an authentic bullet, but I definitely need my out at this point still. I will definitely check out the inner thoughts thread when my post count gets up there. I am slowly creeping up to 50.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
I can't work on the principle alone.

Jon, I would respectively disagree with you on this. One must first be in touch with ones own power and connection with the pendulum. Then one can direct others. A great book (available at Amazon) is Richard Websters "pendulum for beginners" book. In this book, Richard walks you through how to become more familiar with, and personal with pendulum (through personal practice) work. IMO I would not gloss over this important step in the process.

Jorey

Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
Jorey,

I haven't done much in general with a pendulum but have spent some time seeing what happens with me. I can see the C Principle at work when I am using the pendulum but not when trying with my one or two go to magic guinea pigs. Because I am not in tune with the pendulum is exactly why I haven't incorporated it yet on anything important and why I am seeking more info. As far as now though, I definitely can't go on principle alone. I'm on training wheels with my sleight/out needed. I haven't glossed over any steps just haven't fully jumped into any steps. Thank you for the source. I might check it out at some point.

Jon
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Jon, Best of luck to you. Call anytime!

Jorey

Morjhana
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Morjhana
Hi guys,
This topic stopped me dead in my tracks. I'm a newbie magician and got interested in it thanks to my (late) father and his love of close up magic. I personally use a pendulum but have never seen a magician use one in a performance. Can anyone let me know who performs with one and maybe include a link if possible? I'm completely intrigued by this!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Pendulum magic by J. Burk Whittaker (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL