We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Your top five impromptu routines... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
dynamite
View Profile
New user
Philippines
71 Posts

Profile of dynamite
Impromptu can be very subjective. For me it's the audience's perception who believes you had nothing before the presentation. Reality is, there coud only be few effects you can do to be purely impromptu, a lot perhaps involve sleights.

For me, it should be based on audience reaction. And perhaps there are some preparations you can walk with you all day, ever so ready to be summoned at a moment's notice.

All the best!

Dynamite
Smile
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, you can . . . Boldness has a genius, magic and power to it!"
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Dynamite,

You are correct, but almost everything in close-up can fall into that realm. I'm just suggesting for the sake of learning, that we push ourselves here, and see what our fertile minds might sow.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
dynamite
View Profile
New user
Philippines
71 Posts

Profile of dynamite
Quote:
What would you if you didn't have the usual with you, the things that we normally carry? Remember guys, this is our place to learn, so let's step outside the box a little.

No offense meant Eric, and thanks for the clarification—I now understand you more clearly. I think I'm just becoming too addicted to magic that I seldom walk without anything with me. Oh, my...

All the best!
Dynamite
Smile
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, you can . . . Boldness has a genius, magic and power to it!"
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
I really like the ring thru spoon, taught in Jay Sankey and Greg Wilson's video. Really impromptu, just borrow a ring and a spoon and you are good to go! Add in some ring and rubber band tricks and you got a nice routine going.
PyroDevil
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
156 Posts

Profile of PyroDevil
Alright, here we go...Top 5 Impromptu Routines:

Quiksilver
Sponge Balls
Ring Thru Spoon
Jay Sankeys Torn Bill
The two straws untie each other trick
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
No offense taken at all, Dynamite. I'm just trying to get the wheels turning. This can be a very interesting topic.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
mugician51
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of mugician51
I have tons of favorites, but here are my top five for rubber bands, coins, gimmicks, and other tricks:

Rubber Bands—Traveling Tips, Crazy Man's Handcuffs, Snapped Again, Joint Venture, Twisted

Coins—No Jacket Required, Guess Which Hand, K.I.S.S Transpo, Coins to Cup, various productions and vanishes

Other Impromptu—The Ultimate Rip-Off, Re-Cap, Center Tear, Dough, Twisting Arm Illusion

Gimmicks—The Xpert, Stealth Pen, the Bendy Pen, Improv Nightshades, Link-Key

The list goes on...All of those tricks (minus the gimmicked ones) are completely impromptu. I almost always do impromptu tricks, because I don't like to carry too much around and I think they are more fun to perform.

While we're on the subject, which one of these would you recommend for impromptu magic: Off the Cuff, On the Spot, Dan Harlan's Ultimate Impromptu series, or Jay's No Card Tricks DVD?
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Top Five...

CMH
Cash Ladder
Rubber band thru my thumb, with spectator holding the band AND the end of my thumb!
One coin routine (with giant Chinese coin finish, my own routine)
Han Ping Chien

Runner ups would include: Two Bills & a Purse, TT Salt pour, Haunted Key, Linking Pins, color changing knives (it LOOKS impromptu) and coins across.

As you specified that it had to LOOK impromptu, I did throw in a few gaff methods.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
674 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
  1. I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned the old ashes on the spectators palm trick. This is the impromptu trick I always do in bars and it always gets great reactions.

2. If we're sitting at a table (and the angles are right) I'll vanish small objects like Bic lighters using a kick vanish. I'll call attention to the object, put my hands around it, and slide it to the center of the table (of course it's kicked vanished). The look on people's faces when you open your hands in the center of the table (after some time misdirection mumbo jumbo) and show the object has vanished is priceless.

3. Another one of my favorite impromptu bar effects is "Okawa's Cellophane Surprise" (from Paul Harris' Close Up Entertainer) with someone's pack of cigarettes. This is a real gem and can also be found in AOA2.

4. Paper Chase from Harris' Las Vegas Close-up (also in AOA1). This is a chink-a-chink with four balls rolled from a cocktail napkin torn into four pieces. At the end the napkin is restored.

5. Cocktail napkins over head starting with one napkin rolled into a ball. Then with a few more and finally with a big napkin ball.

I thought of two other impromptu effects I like using in bars.

"Floater" from Jay Sankey's Sankey Panky where you float someone's pack of cigarettes (using no gimmicks and needing no preparation!).

The other is a complete multiple coin vanish I do if I'm wearing a shirt with a breast pocket. I believe it was written up in Apocalypse but I couldn't find it (I searched through all 20 volumes but could have missed it). Basically you balance four or more coins (I use quarters in bars) on the back of your upturned elbow and do the stunt where you swing your arm and catch the coins. After a repeat, and the coins being heard jingling in your hand after the catch, the hand is opened and the coins have completely vanished leaving both hands empty. Couched in a bar bet/stunt presentation, the vanish is unexpected and amazing (and impromptu, just borrow four quarters).

If anyone recognizes this vanish please remind me of where it is published. Thanks.

I just wanted to add that my above two posts of impromptu effects are based on the concept of doing magic in a bar on the spur of the moment with objects in the environment. That to me is truly impromptu. Preparing by bringing gimmicks along to perform effects which appear "impromptu" is not impromptu. Not that there's anything wrong with preparing and bringing gimmicks. Just my two-cents on the subject.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2003-09-22 01:30, Mitch Schneiter wrote:
I just wanted to add that my above two posts of impromptu effects are based on the concept of doing magic in a bar on the spur of the moment with objects in the environment. That to me is truly impromptu. Preparing by bringing gimmicks along to perform effects which appear "impromptu" is not impromptu. Not that there's anything wrong with preparing and bringing gimmicks. Just my two-cents on the subject.

Mitch,

In a bar, you have all sorts of goodies to play with: jiggers (the double-ended shot glasses, usually metal) make a great impromptu chop cup (see Jiggernaut by Mark Genest, it's GREAT!), fruit for impromptu cups and balls, cocktail napkins (T&R, Flight of the Paper Balls, any origami critter), straws, etc.

The Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic by Martin Gardner (available from Magic, Inc. in Chicago for about $35 plus S&H) is chock full of some really great material with all sorts of things.

Why, one could make a good living doing nothing but effects from that book!

I know. I speak from experience.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Well, if I'm at a friend's house or similar and they have a deck of cards, I would do these:
  1. Triumph
  2. Twisting the Aces
  3. Dr. Daley's last trick
Even if the deck is incomplete you can still do these quick and easy tricks. Of course you might need to do "Twisting the Kings" or something similar is the four aces aren't in the pack.

Also, two in the hand one in the pocket with almost anything.

After all that I either need to get a drink or need to get paid for the performance as I am entertaining far too much. Smile Smile (That is a joke of course...at least the part about getting paid!)
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Themagicquest
View Profile
New user
San Diego, Califorina
57 Posts

Profile of Themagicquest
Quote:
On 2003-09-04 10:32, Eric Grossman wrote:
Guys,
Impromptu means, with nothing on you. Use whatever is around, or use borrowed items. Invisible deck is not impromptu. TTs, IT, Sanadas, pen throughs, are not impromptu.

Use a borrowed deck for card effects. Use borrowed coins, etc...

I love Dean Dill's No Extras. Paul Cummin's Underhanded Coins Across, as well. A couple of quarters is great for a coin routine (see Greg Wilson).

Recap is great, although I don't do it. I just haven't learned it.

Anyway, nothing against all the stuff listed above, because there is some great stuff, but we're talking about impromptu.

Eric Grossman

Wow, finally some one who gets impromtu. If I am gona do impromtu I do:
  • Card warp if I have a deck
  • J-sankeys coins across (it is really cool)
  • Twisting arm illusion
  • KR or Balluduchi
  • Make coins disappear
  • and many, many more...
juan
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
177 Posts

Profile of juan
  • CMH with vanishing one band at the second time
  • Balls over the head
  • Penetrating matches (or toothpicks)
  • A routine with a coin and a pen (the coin appears, disappears, "go" inside the pen's cap, and vanish at the end)
dyddanwy
View Profile
Regular user
Chester. UK
107 Posts

Profile of dyddanwy
  • Spoon twisting (goes one better than bending)
  • Coins through table
  • Torn and restored napkin
  • And the beautiful "Starcle" (Dan Harlan's napkin tear)
    ...are my favourites.
Jack Smile
~ ~
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Uh, guys, the original post stated that the effects should APPEAR to be impromptu. Just an FYI, not a flame.

BUT, for completely impromptu effects, my fab five are:

CMH
Cash Ladder
Rubber Band Thru Thumb (my version where everything is held by the spectator)
Han Ping Chien
1 coin routine (mine)

A few extras:

Paddle trick with a borrowed pencil
Flight of the Paper Balls
Ring that moves UP a broken rubber band
Ring on Spoon (Sankey)
Salt shaker through table

I guess I'm just a classicist! Smile

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
mithrius
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
127 Posts

Profile of mithrius
If I have rubber bands:
Pinnacle
CMH
Band Through Thumb

If I have coins:
Coin Flurry (from Ammar's ETMMM) with some weird production at the end (like an Altoids tin or whatever I have in my pocket)
Daryl's Cross of India
Vernon's Sympathetic Coins

Just at a dinner table?
Glass through table
Ring on Spoon
That old trick where the straw rolls away from you on the table. I'm sure it has 1.73 million names.
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
253 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
Maybe this isn't imprompru, but if I am hard pressed to show someone a trick and the mood is right, I don't mind using Kollosal Killer, if not a nice flurry a la Curtis Kams Through and Through without the Gimlet works, or I use a business card for a prediction effect, with a penny, nickle and dime.

Word,
Kelly
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
steveroth
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of steveroth
Penny and Dime Transposition
Coins Across
Piano Card Trick (with coins or matches)
Removing my thumb
Paddle Trick with Paper Matches
and one other to make five

Regards,
Steve Roth
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2003-09-22 01:14, Mitch Schneiter wrote:
The other is a complete multiple coin vanish I do if I'm wearing a shirt with a breast pocket.
[snip]
If anyone recognizes this vanish please remind me of where it is published. Thanks.

It's Roger Klause's routine and if memory serves it's in one of Ganson's Art Of Closeup Magic volumes. It's also taught on the bonus disk that comes with volume 3 of the Legendary Rep. Of Michael Skinner in the video of Klause and Skinner lecturing.
dogwood86
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
126 Posts

Profile of dogwood86
Well, my impromptu routine is normally asking a spectator if they have Twisted Sisters on them or a TT I could use...this stuff kills. Umm...honestly I would say:
  • A copper silver routine
  • Paper ball sponge balls (oh no, I have an extra napkin that I prepared before...forgive me)
  • An ambitious card, or card to box, with card to mouth thrown in for good measure
Anyways
Nathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Your top five impromptu routines... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL