The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Your top five impromptu routines... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
Mine would have to be:

1. Pinnacle
2. 3/4 Coin Across
3. If I have a deck of cards, ACR or Cross Twist
4. Crazy Mands Handcuffs
5. Sponge Napkins
Socalesq
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of Socalesq
Here's 5 fun ones that I use at restaurants when I'm out with family or friends:

1. Vanishing sugar ("poured" from a previously emptied packet into my fist) -- a great trick

2. Flipping a coin to land on the same side every time (then vanishing it by lapping when it fails)

3. Disappearing grape, reappearing from the mouth (a simple French Drop, hand supposedly holding grape then whacks down on your head, then a second grape previously stashed in your mouth is brought to your lips) -- actually quite amazing to people the first time.

4. Bouncing roll -- I don't do it as good as Daryl; check out his early video, the key is to match your foot noise to the supposed bounce.

5. Acid coffee (coffee starts bubbling and destroys your spoon -- I forget who taught me this one, takes a little preparation but very cool -- PM me if you want the details)
icuryy
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
While some items here require some simple preparation they are with borrowed objects or objects on hand.

• Cigarama by Frank Garcia I snuck cigarettes from a partiers pack and did this.
  • Coin vanishes under a mouth down bar glass - This is an oldie that I prepared this at the bar.
  • Coin flourish of my own based on Bobo's "Pretend" and using other sleights.
  • a coins across effect
  • Hanging Coins (w/quarters) - Roth

There are others but these are strong.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3216 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I like to do:

Coins across
Pulse through the toothpick (or match stick)
Card Warp
Spoon Bend (restaurants hate it)
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Socalesq
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of Socalesq
Weepinwil, how do you present the pulse through toothpick effect? (I know the effect, just interested in your "pulse" presentation)
icuryy
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3422 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Metal Bending
PK Time
PK Touches
For Andruzzi
My propless version of Chelman's Zodiac.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
gink103
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of gink103
Well heres my top five, these are what I usually do cuz I'm not a huge fan of always carrying gimmicks on me.

1) Sinful (like noone has mentioned this)
2) Metal bending (2nd half of liquid metal, reputation maker)
3) ring and rubberband routine (from the daniel garcia project)
4) Bad Habbit (i have not heard of anyone else actually mastering this trick, I got insane reactions with it, if you have a good completely clean coin vanish than the end is awesome.)
5) 3/4 across ( everything can be barrowed).

So all I need is one quarter in my pocket and I'm ready to go.

does anyone else do bad habit, cuz I really wanna know why this trick is going to waste, are people just too lazy to learn hard original tricks anymore?
psyrules510
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of psyrules510
Alrite my best impromptu tricks are
1. sinful
2. stigmata
3. CMH

I would name more but I'm not so sure they are impromptu.
A few tricks mentioned earlier really interest me but I cannot find them. One is the salt shaker thru table and the other is the ungimmicked pen thru dollar. I saw cyril perform a salt shaker thru table and thought there is no way that's impromptu.
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1142 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
"Quantum Bender 2.0" is my personal favorite.
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Thrice Drawn Circle (a CT routine from the New Invocation), but w/o the blood part)
Flight of the Paper Balls (Slydini)
Paper Balls to Box (Slydini)
Finger garrotte (rope through specttor's finger)
Pencil Paddle (use a regular number 2 pencil - it's easy)
Printing my business card (paddle method)
Kathy's Screwy Finger Bit (Jim Ryan Issue, Magic Menu) NO props at ALL!
Ashes to Palm (the Sugar Cube Trick version by Heba Haba Al, when possible)

Just a few more.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1142 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Hands down, Garrett Thomas' "The Ring Thing"..Always ready, visual eye candy..I do three quick phases,each a bit different and progressively cooler looking. It is a near perfect "hey, show me something" solution.
magicman04971
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of magicman04971
Dear Fellow magi....

I have read only two pages of this thread and scanned a third......Perhaps I am too anxious to reply, but, it seems to me to be almost two questions in one....1) what impromptu appearing effect gets the most reaction even if it uses set up or gimmicks.......and.... 2) what impromptu (to me meaning without preparation....equipped with only items from the exterior environment) effects draw the best response....

Well, I'll offer an answer to both questions...I disqualify the first category as an oxymoron, such as "Jumbo Shrimp." If you carry gimmicks into it....it is not "impromptu." But if I have to pick an "impromptu appearing" effect....then I go with cig thru quarter.... Check this out: an argument might be made that an "impromptu appearing" effect could involve a stooge.....or a thin model sawing in half....many impromptu appearing effects involve a thumb tip such as the water suspension in the dollar bill, and others............all of which are not TRULY impromptu to me because to me, IMPROMPTU means on the moments notice....without notice, naked, without pre arranged props..........So for me, here are some good truly impromptu selections:

1) appearing to remove your index finger (standard method) , followed by appearing to stretch it (Herrmann method)no props here

2) torn and restored napkin...napkins are everywhere...

3)cups and balls using coffee cups and napkins

4)Torn and restored bill (always gots da' money around!!!!)

and last but not least.....5) salt shaker thru table...this blows minds....

Here's a bonus for ya'll: J. B.Bobo's coins to glass....a classic of magic you can do with borrowed quarters if you practice enuff!! Half Dollars are standard...

Best Regards to All,

Wes Booth
Maine's Master Magician!!

PS...nice post to the original poster, and BREAK A THREAD TO ALL....
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
207 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
I may well be repeating may great ideas here... but I use the following as my "unprepared" imprompto:
- Ring vanish (vanishing an elephant... my ring appears to have sanskrit (sp) writing on it
- Spectator ring and shoe lace
- Specator ring on pen/pencil
- Smile/Frown bill to do hokey mentalism/ lie detector
- Ring to spoon ala Wilson
- Coin under watch (quarters... if I have one and they have theirs)
- Starcle
- Napkin balls over head
- Napkin to rose (not "magic" but a magical moment)
- T/R bill from Columbini (if I can wade one up ahead of time)
- Total coin vanish (under watch from Josh Jay)
- Flip stick with knife
Good grief, I have more than I realized! I'm glad I wrote some down to remind myself...
Lynn Fox
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3422 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Top 5 or "top 5 I'll talk about"? Heh, heh.

Psy sub's and verbal card forces; Tsunami WITHOUT cards is a favorite.
Metal Bending
PK Time
PK Touches
For Andruzzi

Regards,
-The insomniac Jerome.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
whoton
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of whoton
T & R cigarette, Coins Thru Table(Slydini), Twisting Arm, Jumping Match
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2003-09-07 11:14, Eric Grossman wrote:
Well I guess that everything that we do should appear impromptu to the spectator. But, for this forum, being that it is only for us, let's push ourselves a little.

For us, truly impromptu should mean unprepared. You're right that it shouldn't absolutely mean borrowed objects, but how about not using any magic props?

What would you do if you didn't have the usual with you, the things that we normally carry? Remember guys, this is our place to learn, so let's step outside the box a little. Here's a list:

Sponge balls with napkins
Coin routine with common change
No Extras by Dean Dill
Recap (I'll learn it)
Paper ball over the head (Slydini)

Let's also pretend that there doesn't happen to be a deck of cards around, either. That would make it too easy for us. Thanks for the indulgence.

Eric Grossman

Eric,

I was just about to disagree with you about your definition of "Impromptu;" then I realized that I like what you're trying to do... You're trying to get us to stretch ourselves as you put it. That rocks! So based on that, here's my contribution to the list:

* One coin vanish (hopefully they have a quarter)
* I have a complete vanish that works almost any object I can fit in my palm
* Touch the tip of lit cigarette without burning yourself
* Ring on string with borrowed ring and shoelace (someone else mentioned this also)
* Spoon bend
* PK Time (banacheck version)
* Coins across
* Psychological forces
* Rubber band effects
Eva
View Profile
Regular user
Magicienne
125 Posts

Profile of Eva
T & R cigarette (David Stone)

Ungimmicked Bill Switch (Manuel Muerte)
"Believe it, or believe it not!" ~ Manuel Muerte

(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
164 Posts

Profile of Tyler
Ring Thing
Paper ball over the head
Soda straw thru chin
Pk Time
Torn/Restored Napkin
lylaster
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
197 Posts

Profile of lylaster
1. 3/4 coins across
-always gets a great reaction, I can't wait to update the 3rd phase with the fanning pitch
2. recap
-my favorite to perform and I've customzied it to my style in some phases. It's not really "magic" in their eyes, but they get a great laugh
3. sinful
- real crowd pleaser
4. ring thing
-just look at it!
5. crazy man's
- I don't really like doing this effect, but the reactions are great. I can't wait to expand my rubberband repretoire with pinnacle, and some of DG's work.

not in any order, but these are guaranteed reactions
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Your top five impromptu routines... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL