The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » On the topic of ethics, here is another issue. Your thoughts ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The problem here is this...

What price talent?

For you it might be one price but come a long Jeff McBride, with much less props, and he commands twenty times more pay than you... Could he argue that you are undercutting him with your cheaper Show?

What I mean, to the OP, how do you justify this price logic?

The problem is most Magicians don't stand out, thus a Magician is a Magician is a Magician... You get my point? Why get the expensive one if they're all THE SAME?

You have to stand out... Become popular for your Show...

Lots of singers sing better than her, but Britney Spears would still be paid millions compared to a total newcomer. No matter how good. And Britney will still be the choice as she has the star power... (I don't like her all that much really...)

I say this, do your best to show you're worth it, leave others to their own "vices"... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
Now with that info I'd be ****ed too... I think it's true that we all pretty much know the "going rate" in our area (regardless of what we charge)... Of course, there are a couple of guys in my area that do bday parties for $50... Haha. Try competing with them Smile
Mike
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Just for the record magicelam, $550 is NOT the going rate for fairs anywhere in the country. Maybe for festivals(asparagus fest, covered bridge festival, etc)...but NOT for county & state fairs. Even strolling acts, like jugglers charge more than that.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-07-09 11:43, Living Illusions wrote:
Just for the record magicelam, $550 is NOT the going rate for fairs anywhere in the country. Maybe for festivals(asparagus fest, covered bridge festival, etc)...but NOT for county & state fairs. Even strolling acts, like jugglers charge more than that.

Sure, I am a Professional as well. I can relate to "the going rate"...

But here is the issue in the real world, there will always be people who will do it for less. Much less even...

Desperate or just newcomers (or desperate newcomers). Smile

Then there are the established Popular Artistes who will command ten times "the going rate" at the same venue easily...

This is just the nature of the beast, I imagine anywhere in the civilized world, when it comes to Showbiz rates...

I say, do your very best to go up the bracket and become irreplaceable by just any other performer, let the newbies fight for the scraps. Be the Popular Artiste.

I know it's NOT easy, but what is when it comes to getting and staying at the top with the big guns?

Just my thoughts on this... Do as you will. Smile
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
In the end it basically comes down to free market where anyone can charge anything they want. We have magicians selling routines for as high as $800, and as low as $5.00. There doesn't seem to be any fixed pricing when it comes to selling routines or effects, and I have never heard of any fixed price for magicians who perform.

However, it is always smart business practice to find out what others in the area are charging. If someone is new, it's not unusual for them to do free shows, or charge little. They need to make a name for themselves, and build a reputation before thinking they can run with the big dogs in the yard.

I'm still a small dog, and my prices reflect that. When I gain more experience, and envolve more as an entertainer, I will likely charge more.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
Hey Kevin, you guys know much more about that than me, I don't work fairs and festivals. I hate performing outside, haha, so I'd be hard pressed to even do it for the 1500 a day Smile
Mike
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I wonder if the under cutter is has paid proper liscensee and fees for the ideas he is using. It is easy to undercut when you have little invested. In capitalism we reward people for their work and ideas. If this person is just working the system, let's hope they are doing it ethically and are paying for the work of others they may be using.

Perhaps builders and shops should stop selling to known undercutters. Many professions require licensing to purchase equipment or obtain support services. Perhaps we should be more restrictive with our resources and fewer problems like this might occur.

Just a thought.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-07-11 18:23, truthteller wrote:

Perhaps we should be more restrictive with our resources and fewer problems like this might occur.

That there is the problem. Imho... Smile
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I should add that I take love offerings for my Gospel magic programs, and I have only recently been doing regular childrens magic.

When I decided on a rate to charge, I looked into what others locally were charging. I do not charge the same rate as someone who has been doing it for years. Perhaps I am mixed up in this. Should I be charging the same price as other magicians in my area that are more experienced and talented than I am right now? I'm posing this question to find out opinions from others. I surely do not want to be labelled as someone who undercuts maliciously or anything like that.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I think one key to this is to manage your pricing and always assume your clients talk to each other. If I came into town as a newbie and charged $200 for a show to get my name out there and build a little business, so be it. But if things pick up quickly and I suddenly decide to start charging $1000 for the same show, simply because I can, it's not going to look good if my $1000 client finds out that two weeks earlier I was only charging 20% of what she just paid.

I would say that the more we put into our act, the more we should be getting out of it. If I'm doing 45 minute sets with a deck of cards and I'm working in the same market as Juan Tamariz, I would HOPE he's making a lot more money than I am, because when I've put in the time and effort and reached his level, I don't want to be making the same amount as the newbie just because we're kind of doing the same thing. I would say patience and a gradual increase in price would be what's best for the performer, as well as the other performers in his market.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
You bring up an interesting point, Andrew. So, wouldn’t Juan Tamariz feel like you’re ‘undercutting’ him? Wouldn’t Juan feel outraged that you’re screwing up the business? I don’t think so.

I guess what I’m saying is there is room in this world for different price levels. If you are being undercut, chances are you have not reached the status of a Juan Tamariz, and your act has not become unique enough as was pointed out earlier in this thread.

Instead of getting upset at the undercutter, look at yourself and ask why you cannot command the price level you are seeking. Its easier just to say the other guy is cheap, unethical and stupid. Our ego successfully remains intact.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2011-07-06 22:25, w_s_anderson wrote:
So I present this to the mercy of the Café....

A very good friend of mine who is a magician was in talks with a very large fair here in the Northwest to do a 10 day run. I was contacted about it as well, but due to other obligations I could not fulfill all 10 days. According to my friend, the fair bookers were heavily leaning towards him getting the contract. This was also at a very fair price for a 10 day run (no pun intended). It was a great gig....UNTIL....he was told by the fair people that they had found an illusionist from out of town who would do three shows a day for a whopping 500 or 550 dollars a day. A full illusion show with at least 7 grand illusions for less than 200 bucks a pop! Talk about undercutting the market! Should I be really upset about this?

Have any of you guys been in a similiar situation when some weasel offers a show for 90% off the market value? Did you do or say anything about it? I have no doubt that the fair will be gravely disappointed by this guy who ever he is. I am sure having knock off prices equates to having a show full of knock off props....lol.

Sorry for the rant, and thanks for giving me an avenue to vent! Maybe I shouldn't be so mad, but my good friend and fellow Café member was royally screwed over by this guy.

Going back to what I originally said, it seems the actual problem here was event planners trying to find the lowest bidder. As the OP was written, I can not find anything that indicates magician #2 even knew what the first guy had quoted, much less what "market rate" was in an out-of-town market. It seems clear someone was "shopping around" for the lowest price. Happening a lot these days, and it looks to get worse...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Agree 100%, Ken!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Good points, Ken!

If fishing is frustrating because kids are throwing rocks in the lake, get yourself to a spot that the kids can't reach.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Quote:
On 2011-07-12 06:57, Ken Northridge wrote:
You bring up an interesting point, Andrew. So, wouldn’t Juan Tamariz feel like you’re ‘undercutting’ him? Wouldn’t Juan feel outraged that you’re screwing up the business? I don’t think so.

I guess what I’m saying is there is room in this world for different price levels. If you are being undercut, chances are you have not reached the status of a Juan Tamariz, and your act has not become unique enough as was pointed out earlier in this thread.

Instead of getting upset at the undercutter, look at yourself and ask why you cannot command the price level you are seeking. Its easier just to say the other guy is cheap, unethical and stupid. Our ego successfully remains intact.

You are assuming that my friend can't command the price that he is seeking. He does, and he is booked all the time. He was given a price quote and was going to be booked. The illusionist gave is original quote, which was still less than my friends, and was not booked. When the unknown illusionist found out he wasn't going to be booked he dropped his drawers and offered them a whopping 160 bucks a show. Also, as the world turns, I find out that this guy is a lot more local than I had imagined and he is performing a full stage illusion show. Not many newbies are performing full illusion shows. On a side note, what does this have to do with ego? How do you connect being undercut to having an ego?
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
The situation you’ve described is an extreme case. As has been noted on this thread, undercutting goes on all the time. I was addressing the situation on a broader sense.

Still, if the original illusionist were David Copperfield, would the undercutter have gotten the gig? Like it or not, the original illusionist did not successfully convince management that he was worthy of the price he was asking. As Gospel Dan pointed out, undercutting goes on all the time in other industries. I’m not sure its even unethical.

As far as what does ego have to do with this, I thought I explained that pretty well in my last post. Again, I’m not directing this at this particular situation. In fact, let me get personal with a situation that recently happened to me.

I was recently accused on Facebook of undercutting and stealing clients. He didn’t name me by name (good thing) but by the way he worded it most people could figure it was me he was talking about.

Of the two clients that he must have been talking about one has been my client for 35 years! And I’ve performed a show for them at least once a year for the past 15 years. How is that HIS client?

The other client was so impressed by this magician they went out searching for other magicians and got my name through a google search and actually came to see one of my shows before the hired me.

As far as being cheaper, I guess I could be since I have no idea what he is charging. But consider this, I’ve been a full time professional for 12 years, raised 5 children and live relatively debt free from this income. In other words, I run a successful business and it has stood the test of time. My prices may not be the highest, but they do bring me a lot of work. And, oh yes, I get hired back! Sometimes for 35 years!

So, one can protect their ego by claiming the competition is cheap and unethical. If one were to admit that their previous clients were not happy with what they got for their money it might force them to look at their own business practices.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Quote:
On 2011-07-14 07:30, Ken Northridge wrote:
But consider this, I’ve been a full time professional for 12 years, raised 5 children and live relatively debt free from this income. In other words, I run a successful business and it has stood the test of time. My prices may not be the highest, but they do bring me a lot of work. And, oh yes, I get hired back! Sometimes for 35 years!

And you say that Scott's friend has an ego?
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Part of the problem is that a show could be offered for 'less' for a lot of differing reasons. As has been said above we have ALL been undercut at one point or another. It just happens. You look for ways to adjust. You offer more value in some way that makes the buyer want to spend the extra money. You work in such a manner that they HAVE to have you because of your reputation and they don't care about the extra money.

It can be done. I have a friend who is a superlative stand up and close-up magic entertainer. Totally part time. Been doing it part time for 35 years or so. He'll average at least 30 shows a year and the last time I talked to him his price for a 30 minute show was $1000.00 and he got it and never ever varied from the price. BUT...he worked it so that he could turn down work until all he got was his asking price, etc. It helped that his ability to send possible clients to past clients for a recommendation was incredibly strong, etc.

So much has to be taken into account. Do you HAVE to do magic or starve? Then you have to make decisions based on that need and that's ok, it's the way it is. It's not a matter of liking it or not liking it. If you expend too much energy being ****ed about it that's energy you could be using to figure out how to obviate the problem posed, etc.

Sucks. I HATE and LOVE competition. When competition is gone so will be our freedom to compete.

In the end it should drive us to read and study more about basic marketing, influence, etc. How do WE get what we want and need in a market made up of a ton of other people with similar wants and needs?

Best regards,
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » On the topic of ethics, here is another issue. Your thoughts ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL