The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » language (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
I have not yet perfomed in any overseas locations but have been around the world many times. Many people here have done proffesional work in other countries and my love of travel is giving me the itch to pack it up and start looking for the overseas jobs. To those with expierience with this, how do you overcome the language barrier?
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
Glasgow, Scotland
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Silent magic performed with music?

If you are talking about magic with patter, I honestly couldn't suggest how.

Sorry.

Kevin
Kevin
RoyHolidayMagic
View Profile
New user
New York
85 Posts

Profile of RoyHolidayMagic
I can do my entire show in three different languages. I would recommend, if you can, to learn as many languages as possible. Not only for magic, but it is the MOST important thing you can do to enrich yourself. Knowing languages will enable you to communicate with MANY more people (obviously). I am currently a high-school student. I've been bilingual my entire life, started taking a new language in school in 6th grade, and am now adding yet another language class.
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
GD-Luxembourg
225 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Dear Scott,

I could not agree more with Roy. I am fortunate to master 6 languages. On top of that I live in a country with many different nationalities, which forces me to do most of my shows in three to four languages...

The negative aspect of that is that it breaks the flow of the show to some extent. The positive aspect of it is that it allows me to be more intimate with my spectators and it makes me more approachable to them.

One day I had to perform a show in a language I do not speak. I asked somebody to translate my scripts into that language and I learned the text by heart (my knowledge of languages allowed me to understand a big part of it). Although I did not stick to it verbatim (I mixed it with English)I got a tremendous response from the audience.

Best regards,

D
ekozuch
View Profile
Veteran user
argentina
329 Posts

Profile of ekozuch
Also, you have to think about what kind of magic you perform, for example, if you perform comedy magic and you want to tell a joke or something funny, many times you will find that in others countries they do not have the same sense of humor that you do. (I am from Argentina, my natural language is Spanish) Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » language (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL