The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Is it time? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Aaron E
View Profile
Special user
736 Posts

Profile of Aaron E
Is it time for some of us to get back to the roots of what it is we do?

This performance is still very powerful to me even after all this time. This performance changed the way I looked at an effect AND looked at myself. I stepped back and looked at my own work from a different angle and from a different light.

Thanks Jim...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE45QHIUfiM
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Thank you Aaron.

In part that is what the 'Mind in Chains' project is about.

Also the new show to be presented in October, will be a public event
and will be the beginning of a new type of interactive performance.

A blending of live performance the making of a documentary film and online content.
(Also documentary & experimental films will play a part in the presentation).

I will be taking all of the haunted locations in Savannah GA and locating
them in one place. Ghost tour people might be a bit upset about this
but I will re-haunt the locations after the shows run is complete.

Jim

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Aaron E
View Profile
Special user
736 Posts

Profile of Aaron E
I wish I was on the east coast to check out your show.

Thank you for taking the time to talk on the phone, give advice and most importantly...listen.

I still remember to look my Wife gave me when I told her I finally found someone else that looks at old pictures and see's dead people! She just rolled her eye's and shook her head.

Aaron
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4312 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
That was seriously insane and moving.

Bravo!
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Aaron,

The truth that pictures, are pictures of the dead is part of the new show.

A good portion of the show or at least the back story will be on the website
and hopefully through Netflix, the entire show will be available as a documentary
film.

Live broadcasts performances will be posted to the website.

The Children who are little more than the shadow of memories are part of the
new show They pass among the audience in the dark and interact with them.

Jim

H.O.A-?
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
Jim,
I dislike 'mediums' who claim to connect with the dead. But I think you have heard that argument before, so I'll leave it for now.

What I will say is that your performance was well put together and you acted wonderfully. The movement of your body made you look like something out of The Exorcist, and it was a genuinely creepy moment. Your facial expressions too seem to contort in an almost painful way. I think the mirror writing was also highly impressive, as it was a brilliant final reveal.

Tom
xx
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

Does anyone else find the term "Special User" to be a bit condescending?
Deano88
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincolnshire UK
376 Posts

Profile of Deano88
Jim, to start with its only just clicked that thast who you are, I saw that clip a while back,

I have to say I firstly agree with Tom..... I know!! I too don't like the whole connecting to the dead stuff, mostly due to my skeptical nature, but that aside.

What a dramatic performance! I loved the whole use of the video , and projection, iam not sure if this is something you would normal do or just as it was on TV, but with that while on the chair created a very dramatic performance. It was a great piece of theatre.

Thanks
Dean
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I had never seen that clip before. Before I had, I strongly disliked Criss Angel. I have some problems with what some people do on stage in the form of contacting dead people.

I really liked the clip. I hate Criss Angel. I really enjoyed what Jim did. Completely different to the contacting the dead that I have problems with.

Strange way to get across what I wanted to say but I think it was the quickest way.

Loved it! The confrontation was incredible. It showed real passion in the face of injustice. So many people bow to those who think they are better. I have just watched P&T Fool Us, and it was the complete opposite at times.

Sounds a bit epic but it was emotional and great entertainment!

After watching it the skeptic in me was not at all provoked. It appeared no different to any other performance and IMO contained as much deception as my last demonstration of mind reading did.

Surely Criss angel should have been on the same side, even Uri Gellar seemed to not believe 100%. If I was going to believe anything to do with that kind of performance it would be something like that rather than anything they have done.
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Quote:
On 2011-07-09 14:27, Thomas Cooper wrote:
Jim,
I dislike 'mediums' who claim to connect with the dead. But I think you have heard that argument before, so I'll leave it for now.
Tom
xx

No reason not to discuss it since it is the underlying theme of my work.

The interesting thing is so few people understand what I do as a medium
and have formed an opinion based upon what they believe to be the truth.
(Not what is the truth of my work and personal research).

Here is a link to the $50,000.00 guarantee issued as part of the
demonstration/performance. http://jimclass.com/he_really_did_it.htm

Best Wishes,

Jim

H.O.A-X
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
Quote:
On 2011-07-10 17:30, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-09 14:27, Thomas Cooper wrote:
Jim,
Tom
xx

No reason not to discuss it since it is the underlying theme of my work.

The interesting thing is so few people understand what I do as a medium
and have formed an opinion based upon what they believe to be the truth.
(Not what is the truth of my work and personal research).

Here is a link to the $50,000.00 guarantee issued as part of the
demonstration/performance. http://jimclass.com/he_really_did_it.htm

Best Wishes,

Jim

H.O.A-X

I presumed you would not want to discuss this, as I am sure you have heard it a lot before.

But let me ask you several questions:

1. Don't you believe the "spirit" of the writer may be offended by your demonstration? I personally am an atheist and do not believe in an afterlife, but if you do can you understand how some may see this as a direct insult to someone's soul?

2. What about the families of the writer? If my mother died, and her soul was supposedly being "channelled" by a medium on tv, I may well be highly offended by this.

3. Do you think you are causing people to believe in things (religion etc) which they would not otherwise believe in?

4. Do you ever feel ashamed of your work?

I respect you as a performer Jim. You do the art of magic and Mentalism no harm - and while I disagree with your performance style, I really respect you. But I am curious as to how you deal with these questions? PM if you like.

Tom
xx
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I don't understand why anyone is unhappy with Angel's behaviour on the night. He had a pop at Jim because unlike other mentalists who admit they simply have an act it would appear that Jim's TV persona is claiming that he really is a medium. That's what I'm led to believe. Am I right up until now?

That being the case he (Angel) offered a million bucks, and his offer seems to have been unchallenged. Is that correct?

I don't have a problem with Jim. He's a performer and will fight his corner in order to protect his TV persona. It's just that some of the rest of you seem to be.... well slightly, not quite right? I don't GET any of this. What's the problem?

And you Tom, stop being so nice. Get stuck in there. I demand you let Eshla out of the box in order we get some common sense in the room. Although your above post is getting more 'investigative journalisticky'. Better. Well done!!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
Bobster, is the last part of your post sarcasm?

Seriously, be honest. I can't tell :/

bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I know you can't tell Tom. Does it matter? You're young. And most likely sharing a flat and eating baked beans most days.
Anyway, the answer is no, the last part of my post is the only part that's NOT sarcasm. But you did recognise that SOMETHING was going on. So, once again; well done!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
If you read the comments below the video...it lets you know what others also feel about this type of entertainment!
Not my comment,but others!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
But I don't steal to fund my habit
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
It would have been more entertaining for me if it had been a little less dramatic, the performance that is, too heavily acted for me, less would have been more here IMO, there are some very good trance mediums kicking about, are they the real deal? Don't really know, but that is the key here - with this performance I felt very confident the medium was not channelling. Watch some so called real ones, their body is for the most part quite sedated, you could have still fell off the chair at the end, perhaps that would have provided even more a dramatic end after the semi-sedated lead up, the automated writing is still quite captivating to an audience, so far from boring lead up for the dramatic reveal... performances of channelling such as those by Derek Acorah which have been exposed as fake, well this reminded me of his antics to be honest.
Sorry, not being negative, just giving an opinion on the performance, well done for having the cajones to get up and do it and best of luck for the future, you did'nt hurt anyone which is important to me.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3920 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I remember watching that performance on television and being struck by two things. First: I found JC's act WAY over the top in terms of...well...everything. I remember thinking "Well...it's not my cup of tea. But he's the one on television and I just did a birthday party...so..."

It struck me very much as a performance of an effect. It was certainly powerful and passionate. Maybe too much...but that's his call. Not mine.

But I REALLY remember being flabbergasted by what Angel did. It's one thing to disagree "in the family" about what is appropriate and what's not...it's quite another matter for one performer to drag another into an impossible challenge in a PUBLIC forum. Up until that little performance I didn't really have an opinion of Angel one way or the other. Frankly -- I thought the grousing magicians were doing about him was a pile of sour grapes. But after seeing what he did, I have formulated an entirely different opinion.

He's a dork who used a position of authority to club another performer on public television. Not cool.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The ironic thing about that night is, at the time Jim was performing on another station Angel's seance was airing. The seance where he contacted the spirit of a murdered little girl. In Angel's defense, there was a small disclaimer, as I recall, there was an ambiguous statement in small print at the end of the closing credits. I guess it's ok for some, but not for others...
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2011-07-10 21:36, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
The ironic thing about that night is, at the time Jim was performing on another station Angel's seance was airing. The seance where he contacted the spirit of a murdered little girl. In Angel's defense, there was a small disclaimer, as I recall, there was an ambiguous statement in small print at the end of the closing credits. I guess it's ok for some, but not for others...

And at the end of that show, as I recall, Angel looked into the camera and said, "Do you believe in ghosts? I don't!" Which is not all that ambiguous.

I know that views differ here about Jim's television performance, but on this show (in all of our careers, for that matter) it was the public's opinion that counted. Jim did not make it beyond that first appearance.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
[quote]On 2011-07-10 22:25, Randwill wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-10 21:36, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

And at the end of that show, as I recall, Angel looked into the camera and said, "Do you believe in ghosts? I don't!" Which is not all that ambiguous. And if my memory serves, the murdered little girl was fictional.

I know that views differ here about Jim's television performance, but on this show (in all of our careers, for that matter) it was the public's opinion that counted. Jim did not make it beyond that first appearance.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
And Jim called what he did "entertainment"....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Is it time? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL