The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » On The Mark - Hip-Pocket Version (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
685 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I've always enjoyed Mark Elsdon's On The Mark and have performed it in stand-up gigs quite a lot. Unfortunately, due to the large size of the wallet, its not something I could carry around with me all the time.

I've just received the new Hip-Pocket version of On The Mark and it's absolutely wonderful. The wallet is, as you'd expect, top quality and works like a dream. As in the original version, comes with everything you need to perform this miracle right away. I'm now going to start using this as my everyday wallet!

Not sure how many Mark has available, but, you can read more about it here:
http://elsdon.blogspot.com/2011/07/on-mark-20.html

Highly recommended!

Iain.
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
I have the original great effect, but I would like to see a picture of the New version with the wallet open
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3824 Posts

Profile of JanForster
This was my answer to it already long time ago. OTM is really good, but combined with BangOn it's a dream:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=90
Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2437 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
What is the effect to OTM?
westo
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
463 Posts

Profile of westo
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek' and 'The Westo Dump'
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
I LOVE this! I just spoke recently at a Keller Williams Realty conference. I had the opportunity to spend some time with Mark Willis, the CEO and while we had coffee, I performed this routine. It absolutely killed!
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
So that wallet -even it is not gimmicked- has to have some specific measurement for the effect?
Magic comes through perception. -HS
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I have used OTM with a hip pocket wallet for over a year. One of my favourite effects and it gets really good reactions.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brąth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I take you you can't show both sides of the card?
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
No, but this has NEVER been an issue.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brąth
3642 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-01-11 08:59, jugglestruck wrote:

OK so I've ordered the trick.

Wouldn't mind some advice on what to do if a spectator asks to inspect the card. Any thoughts?
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Why would they ask to inspect it? They have named a card and you have produced it in the fairest manner possible. They won't have any reason to be suspicious.

If, and I mean IF they do ask, then you need to seriously consider changing your presentation.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2437 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 07:01, Martin.Lester wrote:
I have the original great effect, but I would like to see a picture of the New version with the wallet open

Can anyone that owns this provide a picture of the hip pocket version with the wallet open? Thanks.

Best,
Paul
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brąth
3642 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-01-12 14:57, jugglestruck wrote:
Why would they ask to inspect it? They have named a card and you have produced it in the fairest manner possible. They won't have any reason to be suspicious.

If, and I mean IF they do ask, then you need to seriously consider changing your presentation.

I don't see how that answers my question. What to do if someone asks to see the card.
Paul Richards
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Paul Richards
Paul,

We're the only source for this in the United States and we have two pictures of the wallet on our site. One open and one closed. You can see them here:

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=8118
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
177 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 08:20, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 08:59, jugglestruck wrote:

OK so I've ordered the trick.

Wouldn't mind some advice on what to do if a spectator asks to inspect the card. Any thoughts?

Just tell them that they can't touch the card as it's gimmicked and made of a very special ink and can change into any card, but wink as you say this !

Ben
Sussex/Kent/Surrey Wedding Photographer and Magician. Ben's Photography
Surrey/Sussex/Kent Magician
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brąth
3642 Posts

Nice idea Ben! Smile

Very helpful, unlike that other fellow.
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
177 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 14:35, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Nice idea Ben! Smile

Very helpful, unlike that other fellow.

It's my pleasure Jamie, I do On the Mark and I have said this line a couple of times. No matter how good your presentation is humans will be humans and you will always encounter an ar#'hole ha ha !

Ben
Sussex/Kent/Surrey Wedding Photographer and Magician. Ben's Photography
Surrey/Sussex/Kent Magician
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Apologies if I sounded gruff Smile but I stand by what I said......
If you perform the Invisible deck and afterwards people just want to inspect the deck then I really feel your presentation needs work and this applies to so many magic effects.
With OTM you have just performed a miracle and people should not even be thinking about questioning the card.
But if they do, poke them in the eye and run......
BlueOwl
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, Ohio
105 Posts

Profile of BlueOwl
In a thread discussing the original OTM, Mark mentioned the following as reasons he did not originally release OTM in a hip-pocket style wallet:

"There are two problems with using a hip-pocket wallet. One is that it just doesn't look as clean. Somehow, hip-pocket wallets always look 'fatter', which can lead people to speculate about whether there is more than one card in there. The wallet used in On The Mark is VERY flat, and it looks impossible that it contains other envelopes and cards.

Secondly, the specific design of the OTM wallet allows for you to remove the envelope without even needing to look at the wallet, should you so choose. With a hip-pocket wallet this just isn't possible. Any kind of fumbling or counting/searching for the 'correct' compartment weakens the effect massively.

I know that I would probably have sold more OTMs had it been available with a hip-pocket wallet, but it would have meant sacrificing some of the strentgh and purity of the effect. I just wouldn't have been happy releasing what I honestly think would have been a weaker version, with a wallet that I have never used."

For those who own the hip-pocket version, was Mark able to solve what he determined weaknesses with the hip-pocket version? Specifically the "fumbling" nature of retrieving the card? I love the effect, but never carry a large gentlemen's style wallet and I am eager to learn about the hip-pocket version of OTM.

Thank you,
Nathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » On The Mark - Hip-Pocket Version (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL