The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Are References to Alcohol Appropriate in a Kid Show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Working "clean" is a matter of perspective.

Comics are the worst. I know that many comics think they are working clean if they do all the same dirty jokes but say "crap" in place of sh** , or say "sex" in place of, well, other obscene words. I was once part of a Christmas party at a bank and the "clean" comic was making jokes about one of the board of directors being in bed with his wife and giving her a "dutch oven" (farting and holding her head under the covers.) Yes, he thought he was doing a clean show, but the client was LIVID!

All this just to say that "clean" is not just words, but ideas and concepts. Sometimes, Al, the way someone looks at a child is far worse than actually giving one a hug.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I never refer to alcohol during my shows but I can't control what the kids say. I still remember one child accusimg me of being drunk and actually saying that I was stopping off at a pub on the way to the show.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Starrpower
When you are a young handsome stud like Scott Burton, and me some times women can't controle them selves. Life is not easy when women find you irresistable.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2011-07-09 16:51, Mark Lewis wrote:
I still remember one child accusimg me of being drunk and actually saying that I was stopping off at a pub on the way to the show.

So ... were you, and did you? I have been to many many events where they were feeding me booze. I generally declined until the event was over.

Al, you are correct. I have never been handsome nor a stud, so I have to get by on my clever wit and disarming charisma.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Starrpower
I gave up drinking at parties years ago after I had two glasses of wine, and they asked me to show them some juggling tricks. I looked like a clumsy old fool, so now I drink ginger ale with a swizle stick, and only look as drunk as everybody else. If I want a drink we (wife and me) will have a bottle of wine with our dinner, but never at a party.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Starrpower. I do not indulge in the devil's buttermilk. I am a man of the cloth after all.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Yes to the routine (sounds real good).

No to the alcohol theme.

Keep in mind, obviously, the adult could be thinking OTHER pleasant thoughts.

Songs could include but not limited too...

The Beach Boys, Kokomo (thinking about being on vacation).

King Harvest, Dancing in the moonlight (thinking about having fun).

Kool & the Gang, Celebration (more fun).

Otis Day & the Knights, Shout (and yet more fun).

The Outlaws, Keep Prayin’ (Thinking about getting through... this is a funny song).

Sam Cooke, Twistin’ the Night Away (fun, again).

Seals and Croft, Summer Breeze (feeling good).

The Beatles, Here Comes the Sun (feeling good).

If your reading just the mind of the Dad he could be thinking of a loving song of his wife... The Beatles, Something.

Just Mom? Something good about dad.

Or maybe a song about them thinking about there child.

Paul Simon, mother and child reunion.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Kihei Kid,

Awesome ideas!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
wbzwolinski
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of wbzwolinski
Well, even in the most inocent of situations it would probably not be a good idea.
Keep it Simple...Play it BIG!!!
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I'd use the Sir Mix-a-Lot tune "Lady Got Back" (I Like Big But* I Cannot Lie).. that's a real family favorite...

Actually... I'd use a song that would get a laugh without referencing alcohol and while I get what Kihel Kid is saying, the alternatives aren't funny enough. You have to poke fun, at least a little, at the grown ups for the bit to work. Maybe "I'm Bringing Back a Baby Bumblebee" to imply he's not too bright, or even ""Who Let The Dogs Out" just because that song always seems to get a chuckle on it's own (not sure why). Or if the party is middle-class white people, the contrast between the guy you pick and the music in his head could be funny. Use a clearly incongruous song, Barry White or James Brown or something like that.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
No mentions of alcohol at all. You're going to offend/annoy/preach to somebody.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Your welcome Ken, at least I hope I helped here.
Quote:
On 2011-07-10 12:32, Mr. Pitts wrote:
Actually... I'd use a song that would get a laugh without referencing alcohol and while I get what Kihel Kid is saying, the alternatives aren't funny enough. You have to poke fun, at least a little, at the grown ups for the bit to work. Maybe "I'm Bringing Back a Baby Bumblebee" to imply he's not too bright, or even ""Who Let The Dogs Out" just because that song always seems to get a chuckle on it's own (not sure why). Or if the party is middle-class white people, the contrast between the guy you pick and the music in his head could be funny. Use a clearly incongruous song, Barry White or James Brown or something like that.

Uh... yes and no.

The idea was to take his routine and tweak it ever so slightly and the list of songs that I included where mere suggestions off the top of my head in no particular order. I have NO reservations one could possible do better then the songs I listed here.

And PLEASE, keep in mind, that humor is a personal thing. I think Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy are funny but find Robin Williams to be annoying. I love David Williamson and Tom Mullica but I don't find Bill Malone very funny.

Reading your list of songs the same holds true for ME. I think Kokomo would be good as the parent would be thinking about being on vacation, perhaps sitting on a beach and guess what? Drinking a pina coloada!

I also liked the Outlaws tune as TO ME it's the parent thinking if I just "keep praying everything is going to be allright" (that's the songs main chorus).

But in the end I'm confident that Ken will come up with something that he likes and will put his heart and soul into and that's what really matters.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Out of curiosity, how many of you who said no actually drink? It seems an amazing level of hyprocracy that we can't even mention alcohol.

Personally I have managed to hit forty five without ever having being drunk, but I enjoy a drink. When my kids are old enough I hope to be able to have a civilised drink with them. There is nothing evil in alcohol, but by demonising it we make it seem so.

I still say there would be no offence caused by an innocent and humurous reference to drink. It's not as if you were going to accuse the host of being legless!
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I do drink, but rarely mention it to the little darlings, so it never appears in my show.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
adamferrucci
View Profile
Regular user
Newfield, NJ
169 Posts

Profile of adamferrucci
I don't drink but I used to. While I understand that alcohol isn't a problem for everyone, there are a lot of people in this world that have had their lives destroyed by making a decision to try alcohol. Is alcohol evil? No, but when certain people take that first drink it's like their whole brain chemistry changes and their desire to drink makes them hurt the people they love and they lose the power to do anything about it.

Fast forward to the person who had the good fortune of finding a way to get out of the vicious cycle they were caught in. His loved ones will never forget the pain he has caused them although they may forgive him. He knows he can never drink again and might even be able to joke about it, but most likely his loved ones will never find anything amusing when they associate alcohol with that person.

That's the only point I was trying to make. I don't believe alcohol is evil but I do believe that, when used by the alcoholic, it will destroy lives and the pain that is caused never goes away.

Again, that's just my way of thinking and I wouldn't want to pick the wrong person and see the room fall silent because instead of having a good time and laughing, everyone starts thinking about the pain this person caused them in the past.
Making Birthdays Magical!
www.adamferrucci.com

www.adamsmagicstore.com
Morjhana
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Morjhana
Personally, I think your idea is quite funny. Professionally, I used to do school assemblies for mostly elementary schools and I agree with the others... you'll offend someone and your reputation will be damaged.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
You are of course, correct, Kihei Kid. Comedy is very subjective. Sorry I put that the way I did.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2011-07-11 13:34, TonyB2009 wrote: Out of curiosity, how many of you who said no actually drink? It seems an amazing level of hyprocracy that we can't even mention alcohol.

I engage in good, ol' fashioned sex. Does that make me a hypocrite, if I don't do sex jokes at a kid's party? Great argument, Tony! (TIC)
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Michael, it's not an accurate analogy. I like sex, but I wouldn't make jokes about it in a kids show (or in an adult one, for that matter). I will, however, ask a child if she is married, I refer to my linking rings as wedding rings, and make other similar appropriate jokes. I acknowledge that relationships are part of the human condition.

If I was to do a drunk act at a kids party, or make other inappropriate jokes, I would be out of line. But the sort of gag Ken suggested certainly is not. There is a difference; it is a matter of degree.

An argument has been made that some people have had their lives destroyed by alcohol. I appreciate this. But some people have had their lives destroyed by cars. I know one man who is doing four years because he is addicted to driving stolen cars. I know one family who have lost their father to a careless driver. So should I cut all references to cars from my act?

I think we are overreacting to a problem that isn't even there.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Fortunately or not, Tony, the rules of appropriate subject matter are not made by you, but by the organizations that hire us. You can argue or rationalize all you want, but the fact remains that many (most?) venues that hire us for kids shows would frown on alcohol references but not references to marriage. So the problem IS there, regardless of whether you say it's not. I don't know if it's right or wrong, all I know is that it's what it is, and we have to respect it if we want to keep on god terms with the clients.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Are References to Alcohol Appropriate in a Kid Show? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL