The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Expert at the Card Table, for a beginner? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheGreatIni
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of TheGreatIni
A fairly simple question, I think. And I hope this is the board to put it in.

More or less, I'm a beginner at magic. I've mostly learned a couple of sleights and have a few tricks I've purchased here and there. One of the first things I got though, is a pocket copy of 'Expert at the Card Table'. However, I find I keep getting distracted when I try to read it. I realize some level of persistence is necessary, but I'm just curious if 'Expert' is a good book for a beginner who wants to learn card magic/manipulation, or is there a better place to start and to utilize 'Expert' as a resource once a better general understanding has been obtained?
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I'd say set the book on the shelf until you're ready for it. When you start learning about palms, card controls and false dealing, take the book off the shelf again. You didn't waste your money in picking it up, but you don't want to be hitting Advanced Calculus until well after you've mastered basic arithmetic.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
TheGreatIni
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of TheGreatIni
Thanks, Mr. Musgrave. That was kind of what I thought. Could you recommend anything to help me get the basics? I was thinking of Royal Road, or that Joshua Jay book 'Amazing book of cards'.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
In my not at all humble opinion, of the two, I'd go with the paperback edition of "Royal Road". It will teach you basic sleights in a reasonably logical sequence and reward your diligence effects you can then perform. Enjoy your journey.with

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
It was the book that so many of the magicians of the 50's and 60's learned from, mostly because it was all that was around. Very difficult book to learn from, but still learnable. I agree get Royal Road to Card Magic or Volume I of Card College to begin with. Harry Lorayne's magic books is excellent too.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Royal Road is the way I'd recommend. You can also get a 4-DVD set of Royal Road so that you can actually SEE how things should look in real time.

I would actually recommend getting BOTH.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
TheGreatIni
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of TheGreatIni
Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I think I'll send off for the book first and look around for the DVDs when I've got a bit more cash on hand.
Hopper
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Hopper
The dvd in conjunction with the book is great. I find it useful and worth the expense. That's just me though.

H
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
You can get the 4-DVD set for around $35 plus shipping. For me, I like being able to SEE it performed to know what it is supposed to look like. Just sort of a safety check to make sure I am not learning a bad habit.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2011-07-08 21:35, TheGreatIni wrote:
Thanks, Mr. Musgrave. That was kind of what I thought. Could you recommend anything to help me get the basics? I was thinking of Royal Road, or that Joshua Jay book 'Amazing book of cards'.

As others have already said Royal Road is a great place to start. However, I do think some of it could use some updating, which is why I wrote about 50,000 words of annotations for it on the blog (link's in the footer to this message). Most of that stuff is just my opinion, of course.

If you can afford the extra expense, you might want to consider picking up Card College 1 (and maybe 2) just to have an extra source of material to compare the techniques (and some tricks) against. There are quite a few updates in there.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
See if you can find a hardback copy of any edition of The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay. The paper backs are just too small and difficult to use...but, I guess ok in a pinch.

A little known classic is a book by Bill Turner called How to Do Tricks with Cards. It's a paper back, but it was designed to be so whereas AMHB above was meant to be a full size hardbound book.

Royal Road is a classic and the Card College Books by Giobbi are the best of type. Brilliant books. For all of that AMHB is hard to beat on many levels.

Best,
Brad Burt
TheGreatIni
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of TheGreatIni
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys. There seem to be a lot of card magic books to pick from... I wonder how that got to be the big thing in magic, heh.

Well, I'll have to expand my collection slowly and look around for copies of these. I just sent away for Royal Road. Once I'm a bit more comfortable with the basics I'll start trying to gather up these other references I think.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Card College vol 1, is my advice. After 30+ years, I still think that EATCT sucks! I've stated it many times here. There are many other books that can teach you the same moves, with better clarity. Plus better tricks.
But if you feel compelled, buy it. Dover books aren't that expensive...but prepared to be dissapointed.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
The Classic Collection, Vol. 1 would be great for you. But, what do I know?!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Yiannos
View Profile
New user
Australia
57 Posts

Profile of Yiannos
As many have mentioned here, Royal Road is a great starting point but if you can afford the extra money Card College 1 and 2 are a little more in-depth and up to date. If you do go with Royal Road I found the annotations on Andrew's blog quite insightful, and you should definitely check them out.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
The Classic Collection, Vol. 1 would be great for you. But, what do I know?!
I assume yianno knows better.

Yiannos
View Profile
New user
Australia
57 Posts

Profile of Yiannos
With all due respect Mr Lorayne, I'm only venturing my opinion. As I'm entitled to do. There's no need to attempt to belittle me with snide remarks.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Didn't think it was snide; didn't mean it to be. Usually people are "snide" toward me, not the other way around. It's just MY opinion. What I really meant was - and I see it all the time - do you know my books? If you do, and then recommend others, that's fine. I just see too many recommending without knowing. That's all I meant. Best - Harry L.

Yiannos
View Profile
New user
Australia
57 Posts

Profile of Yiannos
No worries then. I thought "I assume yianno knows better" came across somewhat sarcastically.

I haven't read every book on magic ever written - but that doesn't mean I'm unqualified to recommend something based on my own experiences. I didn't say Card College or Royal Road were better than your books, I simply said they were great for beginners in card magic.

Yianni.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
No problem, Yianni. Would love for you to read/study some of my books, and then be curious to see what you would recommend. H.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Expert at the Card Table, for a beginner? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL